Just starting DE: how does this set look?

I've read all the posts and very good they are too, great advise as usual from all. If I were starting out again and I wanted to keep costs down but get the best value for money and then just shave and be happy then I would buy
Muhle/EJ 89...Great value,great shaver, nothing not to like.
Tabac shave stick...Great soap, cheap, lasts ages with stunning skin feel afterwards
Voskhod blades...Sharp,smooth and cheap as chips get 100 from Russia of the bay
Razorock synthetic brush...Cost effective, needs no special treatment drys in an instant
Naissance Aloe Vera Gel..Cooling,soothing, no scent and great for after the shave.
Bingo! you are done, a lifetime of great shaves and no fuss all for less than £60

I think the Proraso gel is the worst value ever. A very small tube, and only lasts two or three times. An alum block is just as good unless you really injure yourself! They last forever unless you drop them on a tiled floor!

Blimey! How much are you using? I've got a tube, have used it half a dozen times and it is still almost full.

The problem I have with these products is that they are all useless. I've tried them all - various styptic pencils, Pro Raso, even that roll-on styptic and none of them work on anything other than tiny cuts that you can stop bleeding with an alum block or cold water.

The best solution is to get a few of those small, circular fabric plasters. They look a bit odd, depending on your skin colour, but at least they keep the blood off your collar.

I've read all the posts and very good they are too, great advise as usual from all. If I were starting out again and I wanted to keep costs down but get the best value for money and then just shave and be happy then I would buy
Muhle/EJ 89...Great value,great shaver, nothing not to like.
Tabac shave stick...Great soap, cheap, lasts ages with stunning skin feel afterwards
Voskhod blades...Sharp,smooth and cheap as chips get 100 from Russia of the bay
Razorock synthetic brush...Cost effective, needs no special treatment drys in an instant
Naissance Aloe Vera Gel..Cooling,soothing, no scent and great for after the shave.
Bingo! you are done, a lifetime of great shaves and no fuss all for less than £60
+1 Wayne, if i had to have only one set up i would be happy with this one. The only addition would be some palmolive shave sticks. The Muhle R89 is one of my favourite razors. Superb performer.;)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the advice! The response has been amazing, I honestly didn't expect many replies when I first wrote the post

I've been generously gifted a starter set (which was incredible). It literally has everything I need! I was completely blown away. So, for coming future, I luckily have more than enough.

I'll probably pick up some alum (as many of you suggested). I've had many recommendations for soap but I'm starting with Arko/Palmolive which are great to begin with.

I'm sure I'll upgrade the soap at some point (as it's one of the least expensive parts of kit when considering usage). Based on all the recommendations, I'm planning on going with P&B Imperial Rum. They're also a TSR member which is awesome

I'm really excited to finally start DE and it was made so much easier by all the support and guidance I found here. So, thank you!
Thanks for considering us @Lojik, and we hope you enjoy our Imperial Rum. Let me know if you've any questions about our wares.

Best regards,

Kerry.

DR Harris Windsor is top stuff, great performance and scent. As others have said, the Palmolive stick is a little beauty at a bargain price.
The Thayers witch hazel is good stuff - my favourite is their Witch hazel Topical Pain Reliever. A first aid kit in a bottle.
But if you're shelling out for that, my personal advice is to buy some Myrsol Emulsion. I get mine from Gifts and Care in Spain, but there may be local suppliers. I use it every shave, both as a pre-shave bristle softener, and aftershave balm. It is magic (at least for me). 11 Euro for a 200ml bottle, and you don't need much, so very economical. One bottle lasts me almost a year.

Back
Top Bottom