Joining the straight brigade

Gents

There are good and bad things about this forum.

Two years of DE shaving has seen me learn an awful lot from more experienced folk. Whilst I appreciate that, you're all a bunch of pr*&ks for passing on so much product related information to the point that I had 10 DE and SE razors, and more soap than I could need.

I now know what I like in the DE world, and am thinning the stock down to a 37c, a 40's super speed and a Gillette tech - enough for me and something to hand down to my two lads when they start shaving. After buying soaps left right and centre, I would be happy to use up stocks until I had a few OSP, a palmolive stick and a Wilko blue stick, as I find these do the job brilliantly.

But in through the out door has come this straight below. It's come from @Fergiebilly and should arrive any day. It's great to be able to buy with confidence via the connections and endorsements that this site enables. @Fergiebilly also pointed me in the direction of a good source for a strop paddle, and that's enroute as well.

So, I'm off on the learning curve again. Shouldn't take long - just 100+ shaves should do it. I fancy that a straight and a strop should reduce future expenditure to near zero, but I gather once you've broken your duck and bought a straight, you've just found a new rabbit hole to fall into....

oM2zSqf.jpg

I Posted that Solingen Last Thursday..I Guess the Christmas Post is Holding it Up..I Reckon it Takes around 30 Shaves to Achieve a Basic Competence with an SR..The 1st 20 Shaves or So are Probably the Most Challenging..It Probably Takes a 100 Shaves or So for a Straight Razor Shave to Feel Natural..:)

Once an SR Shave Feels Natural then it Could be Said..One has Mastered a Straight Razor..:D

Billy

I Posted that Solingen Last Thursday..I Guess the Christmas Post is Holding it Up..I Reckon it Takes around 30 Shaves to Achieve a Basic Confidence with an SR..The 1st 20 Shaves or So are Probably the Most Challenging..It Probably Takes a 100 Shaves or So for a Straight Razor Shave to Feel Natural..:)

Once an SR Shave Feels Natural then it Could be Said..One has Mastered a Straight Razor..:D

Billy
I have intel that Royal Mail is currently 2 days behind for most parcels.

Repetition leads to mastery.
At one stage every gentleman and gentleman soldier had a straight, brush, soap and that is all.

Commit and you'll be grand and helping the world at the same time.

You can't go wrong with one of Billy's edges they are spot on!

Also for the craic try cold shaving.

I am a committed cold shaver. I haven't cut myself once with cold water.

This.

I just sold three DEs, I'm keeping two; one for emergencies at home and one in my travel kit. Not sure if this is a universal thing but I find the SR had improved my DE shaving too. Don't quite understand how but it has.
You really get to know your face when you use a straight so it will naturally transfer to any razor afterwards. Just my theory! :) P.

Had a go at it this morning. Just did cheeks because of limited time and initial apprehension.

Observations as follows:

1. There were not rivers of blood across the bathroom tiles.

2. I need a slightly different lather - getting great plumes of lather is a bit of a laugh for DE shaving as you bulldoze through it. But it is a bit dry for the SR, and frankly, it makes it harder to see blade on skin.

3. Left hand was not as much of an issue as I had expected. I was being that friggin careful it was fine.

4. I could almost hear my DE razors lying on the shelf crying out "But what about me?! What about me!?"

Not the most amazing shave quality on two passes, but I'm off and running.

Observations as follows:
From my recent experience, over the last few months or so:

1. This is a good mechanism for indicating you are not going too far too soon.

2. You know that slightly wet lather that some people complain they can't get past with MWF? More hydration is good. The SR shows which soaps are good and which just smell nice.

3. Yes. I actually seem to shave better with my left hand, even if it's not as dexterous as the right.

4. Ah well, they'll get used to it.

The quality comes before you even realise it. Don't chase it though, there lies frustration.
Still the best advice I've heard, from FergieBilly:
Slowly-slowly-catchee-monkey.

After about 100 outings the daily straight razor shave for me felt natural, it was just a shave, like 100 years ago when a straight razor was the norm, no thrill, no bravado, no wow, it was just a shave :)

I gave myself 100 shaves when I started nearly a year ago. Probably the first half a dozen were quite scary as I was nervous. Once I got the shave mostly figured out ( probably by shave 25 or 30) there was a very enjoyable time, I bought new razors and I enjoyed every shave.... simply trying to get better at it but with no pressure at all, if it took me 90 minutes so be it.
Now that the challenge is over (140 shaves later) I'm afraid the excitement is wearing out very quickly. I'm getting great results as nothing gives me a closer shave and zero irritation but it's just another shave that needs stropping the SR which I seriously dislike by now lol

What advice I can give you?
Don't spend too much on your first stropp as you'll most likely cut it as you learn to strop. I bought one on the BST area that I still use now.
Give yourself plenty of time, never rush a shave.
I also bought a finishing stone and it's no coincidence that it followed the most enjoyable shaves.
From the start, I taught myself to use both hands so I do XTG and ATG with the opposite hand to the side of the face I'm shaving..... this is not strictly necessary but I find I get the best results this way.
With soaps, slickness is preferable over cushioning for me, some soaps like PAA and OSP provide both ;)

Back
Top Bottom