iTailor

Status
Not open for further replies.
No reply as yet. I need the measurements to check if it was me who made the error. I can't log into my account to check for some reason. Quality of stiching is good and it is 100% cotton. I ordered the cheapest option available as a first try.

Do they do the 'no iron' type of cotton. I know it still does need ironing, but it's an awful lot easier than the other stuff. I usually get HWMOM a few shirts at Christmas, and given that I do most of our ironing, I always feel like it's a present for me too.:)

for not a lot more money, you can pop into somewhere like Charles Tyrwhitt, or TM Lewin, and have them measure you properly. Then they usualy have a huge range of shirts in varying body widths, sleeve lengths and collar sizes. its fairly easy to get a shirt that fits incredibly well.

Id rather that than take a risk on a bit of an unknown!

Where abouts are they and how much is not a lot more

shrink said:
for not a lot more money, you can pop into somewhere like Charles Tyrwhitt, or TM Lewin, and have them measure you properly. Then they usualy have a huge range of shirts in varying body widths, sleeve lengths and collar sizes. its fairly easy to get a shirt that fits incredibly well.

Id rather that than take a risk on a bit of an unknown!

Re: RE: iTailor

soapalchemist said:
Do they do the 'no iron' type of cotton. I know it still does need ironing, but it's an awful lot easier than the other stuff.

If you hang it wet from the machine it really doesn't - by the time you've got to work, body heat has dealt with any residual creases. When I mention the fact that my shirts are non-iron cotton, the usual response is "but you ironed THAT one, right?"

I don't even remember where my iron IS...

Andybaldybilly said:
Where abouts are they and how much is not a lot more

all over the UK.. and on the internet... edinburgh has a branch of both, as does london.

a typical Charles Tyrwhitt shirt is £30... with non iron being £35. They are superb classic styled english jermyn street shirts. Nice touches.

-choice of cuffs (single or double)
-split yoke
-good cloths
-3 fits (standard, slim, tailored)
-sleeve lengths from about 32 up to 35"
-most collar sizes

you can almost certainly get a shirt that fits, unless your a very very odd shape.

They aren't made to measure though, I have quite a few TM lewin shirts and there is a variation on the fit between most of them. Sleeve lengths vary as do chest fit. The quality is fine for how much you pay but nothing special.

the TM lewin are my least favourite of the two.. try Charles Tyrwhitt... larger variety of fits, slightly better tolerances and better fabrics.

i assure you, the ones in china wont be all that made to measure either. They will be altering a few basic templates from the block that they use to make the shirt. This is no different than simply finding your right size in an off the shelf shirt.

the difference being the off the shelf Tyrwhitt ones will at least have classic british styling, decent cloths and wont give you the option of adding garish things like contrast button bands, monograms and round collars.

I have checked out the CT as well as the TML like I say for the price the quality is good but nothing to rave about. I will be checking out a couple of uk based tailors next.

I'm guessing Boab that they were never able to supply you with the measurements you submitted. And you can't 'log in' to find them that way.
Have you emailed them to tell them the problem and that you're not happy? It would be good to know if they have any kind of customer care going on.
As for options to add garish things........that kindof appealed to me.:s

No reply from them im afraid, I think customer care is one of the things that lets them down according to online reviews. Ignore the 'garish' dig, I prefer to make my own mind up as to what looks good and what doesn't. I would give them a try if you are certain you have the correct measurements and maybe take a screenshot of the sizes at order placement. For me it was worth the gamble for the sake of £26, the fit apart from the sleeves was spot on.

Well, notwithstanding zero customer service, I might risk a shirt to start with. But I totally need to know what the ironer of this shirt thinks. I say this, because until recently, I thought there were two sorts of cotten used in shirts. The hard to iron cotten and the 'non [read easy] to iron cotten). HWMOM a while back bought a couple of shirts and a couple of T-shirts from Slaters. In light of my experiences with the shirts, I can now tell you that there is a third sort of cotten - impossible to iron.
We have always found them o.k. in the past. Not least because you can find what I call (and more to the point, so does HWMOM) an ordinary pair of Wrangler jeans. I.e. they are not designed to sit half way down your boxer shorts (a bad look in my opinion); or half way down your Y-fronts (yes, I have seen this with my very own eyes - a totally unforgivable look); nor are they already woefully faded as well as ripped, before you've even worn them.
And the T-shirts shrank so much that for weeks, we were saying to the grandkids 'Is this yours'. The invariable response was 'No, impossible, it has no picture/logo on'....I have now had to accept that these tiny T-shirts are in fact HWMOM's.
I feel bad 'dissing' (oh yeah, I'm down with the kids) Slaters. They've been a stopping point for me on many a 23rd Dec, for many years, witness to my buying frenzy. It's fair to say the in more recent years, I have deserted them for M & S 'non-iron'. Probably what put the nail in the coffin.:s

P.S. Boab, if the shirt hasn't been washed yet due to short sleeve problem, and if you're not bothered about it going a bit off white, might be an idea to wash it with the coloureds. I'm also curious to know if the dye sticks where it ought.

OK, so I now have the first of two shirts that I have ordered being a semi formal style, the second is more of a casual shirt, here are my thoughts so far:

Pros
• Providing you do a good job of measuring, you will get a great fitting shirt, I made a slight hash of the sleeves and they are a little shorter than expected, still wearable. So if you go down this route, do not change the way they suggest to measure yourself.
• The instructions for measuring yourself are great (Take note!!!!).
• Most of the finish is very good (also see cons) especially the collar, so I am pleased with this, as for me a great shirt must have a 1st class collar.
• Ford a custom shirt, I think this is great value (£65 for 2 shirts).
• The material quality is very good although time will tell.
• The shirts arrived in a sealed bag with all the usual bits of cardboard that you get in a shop bought shirt, not a selling point but does make it look professional.

Cons
• As said before the finish is very good but the stitching on the button holes is a little ragged, nothing that a bit of fine scissor work didn't sort out, but is a little disappointing.
• Order to delivery took 5 weeks (the web site does say up to 6 weeks) if you are like me and a little impatient this can be a bit frustrating
• You can get cheaper off the peg shirts, I usually get shirts from Next as they have 3 different fits for most shirts, they also keep all the sizes and fits in the store so you can try them.

In summary, I would probably order from them again but I will be trying another company (tailorstore) first. If you are like me and a bit fussy on fit then custom shirts are definitely the way to go, I spend a lot of time at the gym, although I am not the body builder type, my shoulders are bigger than average and belly smaller than average, so fit is always a problem.

I am sure there are some other things to add but once I receive the second shirt I will add more info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom