It Burns, It Burns.....a little less.

Hi All,

I thought I'd start a new thread in a more appropriate forum than the welcome forum as I am not so sure on how long to continue a Welcome post before it morphs into some sort of technique/shave diary.

So, from a painful and slow start at the weekend (Sat and Sun were shaves 1 and 2 with a straight) and equipped with a head full of advice from all those who replied to my welcome post (thanks all), I tackled shave number 3 this evening.

So face nicely rested, 2 days stubble on there and I was ready. Lathered up but a little more watery than usual to aid slickness, blade met face (with a little trepidation - oh i did strop before hand). To my surprise, right cheek with right hand (I'm right handed), WTG went pretty well. Lots of stretching, keeping a close eye on the blade angle (using the 2 spine widths away trick which was a lot shallower than before) and the cheek was clear pretty easily, no nicks, no fuss and a passable result. :)

So the tricky jaw line. I'm no chiselled jawed uber model (am am Fatbuddha after all) so the lack of sharp edges helps (I'm guessing). More stretching and even that area went pretty well - again no cuts, no nicks not too much fuss. I'm on a roll here (So i thought). What next.....top lip and goatee area me thinks.

By now I'd taken so long the lather was drying out on my face. What I thought took a couple of minutes was probably 15 minute just on the right cheek and below the jaw line and neck. But hey, its the evening, I'm learning and there's nothing on TV so relax, no rush. Quick re-app of fresh lather and I'm away. Is it just me or is it pretty scary doing your top lip for only the 3rd time? Maybe its the shape of my nose but the blade is almost at 90 degrees to get right under my septum with a (very slow I may add) scooping motion to get it to a shallower angle for lower down the lip. :icon_eek:

Lip done, chin to go. Oh, this is where the struggles begin. It's very hard even getting the right starting angle let alone tracking a smooth line following the contours of my chin. But perseverance pays off and most of the hair's gone (Its not a great have by any means but its passable from a few feet away!).

So, for those still awake at this stage (apologies readers); the left cheek....using the left hand. This is where I really struggle. I'm certainly not ambidextrous and shave DE with one hand so this feels very alien to me. I fact I wonder why I have a left hand at all its that useless. Everything is 10 times harder, the control is just not there, even trying to get the blade to start in the right place is a struggle. Its just the mirror image of the starting position on the right side I keep reminding myself. Blade swaps from one hand to another; can I place the blade at the bottom of my sidey on the RHS - yep, easy peasy. On the left, not a chance, for some reason i keep blocking my own view - what a numpty. :mad: How can this be? I've a pretty symmetrical face, eyes are in the right place, ears are level, hands the same size, sideys the same length yet I keep obstructing my own view just trying to get the blade to the right position. I still can't work out why it was so difficult. :dodgy:

So to cut a longer story a little shorter, 40 minutes later and I was done. 40 minutes!!! And thats just WTG! With only a couple of nicks (all gone with a little bloc osma and nivea sensitive balm) and a lot less razor burn than at the weekend I'm finally done. It's not a great shave but its getting there.

I'm a long, long way away from getting a BBS shave or even one close to my DE, but in my books, if something's not worth practising, it's probably not worth doing.

I think I'll rest again for a couple of days, take it slow, no need to rush.

Thanks agian all for the advice so far; it does work!

F

P.S I have to get this lark cracked as I'm already eyeing up a couple of nice razors on the internet. SRAD - must resist, must resist.....

to be honest, i rarely go ATG ive found that i can get a really close shave just by relathering and going over everything again twice

speed comes with time, i know i can shave in about 10mins but thats just because of practice

(i have the same problem with soap drying out)

till recently i held the razor like a butten knife in right hand and shaved left side of face

only problem with this is you have to be really, really careful or you will cut your ear

dont try to force it, speed comes with experience, we all crawl before we run right. (i may not have anyware near as much experience as the rest of the guys here, scarcely a year but you never stop learning)

Great first post in your shave diary fatty, I'm very impressed. You have discovered two tricky areas - the upper lip and the chin. I still get the odd little nick in these places. The former because my nose gets in the way of a decent angle, and the latter because it's just so curvy that keeping a good angle is tricky. As you so rightly point out, practice is the key to all this and you will get there.

The only thing that worried me was that you tried using your left hand. I expect most straight shavers have given this a go, but from what I have gleaned it is quite rare to swap hands mid-shave. I think the German guy does it in the vid you watched but (correct me if I'm wrong wise more experienced fellows!) it is more normal to use the hand you are most comfortable using, even though it might mean a bit of twisting about.

As with my straight thread I'm sure the advice will continue to pour in. Keep us posted with your progress. And there will be progress, even if it's the two steps forward one step back sort!

( edit - removed - ill remove to stop you damaging strop)

(a little trick some people find usefull to get hair under left jaw under ear is, tilit head to the right, this will stretch that skin then lock jaw to the left this forces that tricky little bit under the jaw to below ear where it is easier to cut)

I certainly wouldn't recommend stropping "wrong" handed unless you want lots of nicks in your strop. Just practice using the other hand while shaving and it will become easier, as PC says not everyone shaves using both hands. I find I shave 60% right handed and 40% left.

You've made an excellent start, I used to just lather one side of my face when I started so as to avoid lather drying out.

Initially I would concentrate on getting the WTG and XTG strokes sorted but don't fear ATG when you are ready.

Some sound advice in the posts you have been given.

RE: making the lather last a little longer - you can try adding a couple drops of glycerin as you make it. Fluffs it up and makes it more 'slidey' but also delays the dry-down a bit.

Under the nose - the fabled 'Coupe de Maitre' stroke: you are supposed to lay the blade flat against the septum, then moving it down you gently rotate it. If you hesitate on the moving bit you will cut yourself.

For bits you can't see too well, lay the blade almost flat against your face, then moving it forward gently elevate the spine until you can tell by the feel of the shave that it is cutting right.

There aren't any simple guides and we all do what suits us best, so don't get disheartened. Like you said, if you are a bit tender give it a rest for a while - nothing worse then thinking you are going to aggravate a nick to give a bit of added - and unwanted - frisson to the shave!

Regards,
Neil

View with the other hand: you're almost certainly standing at a different angle to the mirror when you look at the other side. Put it in your good hand, note how you're standing, and mirror it consciously from the feet up. Note your elbow position too.

Lots of good advice here! I would recommend you hang in there re changing hands, I do it and it's very useful, I think. Many, if not all, other things you can adjust as you go, like angle etc, but swapping hands is not an easy task to do later - I know, because I didn't hang in, but a year I ago, approx, I switched for good and I haven't looked back since. PC I told you to hang in there, have you been cheating!? :p

Mikael said:
Lots of good advice here! I would recommend you hang in there re changing hands, I do it and it's very useful, I think. Many, if not all, other things you can adjust as you go, like angle etc, but swapping hands is not an easy task to do later - I know, because I didn't hang in, but a year I ago, approx, I switched for good and I haven't looked back since. PC I told you to hang in there, have you been cheating!? :p

No I have not! I think I'm pretty good now after just one year. I don't swap hands though. Perhaps I was wrong to think most people just use one hand. I'd much rather have to contort a bit (steady Mikael!) with my better hand than swap over to my bad hand, the one that has very little coordination at the best of times. I do all my favourite things with my right hand, so don't think it's the right time in my life to buck the trend.

Pig Cat said:
No I have not! I think I'm pretty good now after just one year. I don't swap hands though. Perhaps I was wrong to think most people just use one hand. I'd much rather have to contort a bit (steady Mikael!) with my better hand than swap over to my bad hand, the one that has very little coordination at the best of times. I do all my favourite things with my right hand, so don't think it's the right time in my life to buck the trend.

Why not, you might enjoy it? :)

Laying on your other hand for a few minutes is far less painful.
Unless you didn't mean slam the hand in the door...

I have always used my 'main' hand (not really thought what term to use before). I've never switched hands.
After a while you just get a feel for it. I know I have a few stubbly bits just to the side and above the start of my nostrils which are difficult to get, and some very persistent stubble right under the chin, on the right jawline, etc. but after some practice you work out what's best for you.
I don't think you need against the grain - certainly not yet at least - but have you 'mapped your beard growth'? i.e. checked which way your stubble grows in each area? Mine changes direction at the edge of my cheeks, for example. when you know which way each area grows you can practice across the grain for potentially more closeness without worrying about soreness and ingrowing hairs.

Well, have I got anything to add ... no, not really.

I'm a dextrous shaver, inasmuch as I wouldn't trust myself to pick the damn thing up with my left hand, much less shave with it. This is a Bad Thing, and I encourage Mr Buddha to persevere with the hand swapping. There are no disadvantages to being ambidextrous after all, and it might come in handy if he ever wants to mess about with kamisoris (or if he's really daft, microtome conversions).

Ha ha, the coup de maitre! No pressure then. Right from the outset this has been the least of my worries because it's always worked out fine, but it is definitely easier with a narrow razor. Anything over 3/4" and the angles don't work so well for me, but years of practice for gurning competitions have paid dividends. Pull faces and stretch that skin and you should be all right.

"Beard Mapping". Well, this is a Good Thing, but you have to reach a workable compromise unless you're double jointed. So my first pass is roughly with the growth - down and out ... and the second is roughly against - up or across and in. And then there's some faffing about with the bits which grow in odd patterns like crop circles when anything goes. I do the ATG thing every time though, something I'd never consider with a safety razor.

The advice therefore is to ignore the preceding paragraph and work approximately WTG only for now, taking your time and sussing out what works well and what causes razor burn. Avoid the irritating directions, and aim to get a comfortable shave, whether it's close or not. Finish off with a DE if necessary, but keep plugging away with the straight every day. Probably you'll feel a bit shabby eventually unless you've worked your face over with a straight every time, and that's when to start experimenting.

Friend Spartacus said something very perceptive with regard to Willi the German Berserker: "he's obviously not afraid of the blade" or words to that effect. That I think is very important, a confidence that you're the master of the razor - in other words that the blade is just a lump of steel and you have the skills to make it do what you want without it cutting you. Six months of regular shaving, Mr Buddha, and I'll wager you'll be the boss.

Arrowhead said:
Well, have I got anything to add ... no, not really.

I'm a dextrous shaver, inasmuch as I wouldn't trust myself to pick the damn thing up with my left hand, much less shave with it. This is a Bad Thing, and I encourage Mr Buddha to persevere with the hand swapping. There are no disadvantages to being ambidextrous after all, and it might come in handy if he ever wants to mess about with kamisoris (or if he's really daft, microtome conversions).

Ha ha, the coup de maitre! No pressure then. Right from the outset this has been the least of my worries because it's always worked out fine, but it is definitely easier with a narrow razor. Anything over 3/4" and the angles don't work so well for me, but years of practice for gurning competitions have paid dividends. Pull faces and stretch that skin and you should be all right.

"Beard Mapping". Well, this is a Good Thing, but you have to reach a workable compromise unless you're double jointed. So my first pass is roughly with the growth - down and out ... and the second is roughly against - up or across and in. And then there's some faffing about with the bits which grow in odd patterns like crop circles when anything goes. I do the ATG thing every time though, something I'd never consider with a safety razor.

The advice therefore is to ignore the preceding paragraph and work approximately WTG only for now, taking your time and sussing out what works well and what causes razor burn. Avoid the irritating directions, and aim to get a comfortable shave, whether it's close or not. Finish off with a DE if necessary, but keep plugging away with the straight every day. Probably you'll feel a bit shabby eventually unless you've worked your face over with a straight every time, and that's when to start experimenting.

Friend Spartacus said something very perceptive with regard to Willi the German Berserker: "he's obviously not afraid of the blade" or words to that effect. That I think is very important, a confidence that you're the master of the razor - in other words that the blade is just a lump of steel and you have the skills to make it do what you want without it cutting you. Six months of regular shaving, Mr Buddha, and I'll wager you'll be the boss.

Ooooh a Kamisori, one of these I guess:

new-japanese-straight-razor-kamisori-box_280590632715.jpg

I think I'll pass for now, I could do some serious damage with that! I do love traditional Japanese crafts though. Everything seems to be pared down to the absolute minimum yet still possess a great aesthetic without compromising function. I'm thinking Katana vs Broad Sword. Wabi Sabi, Shibui, that kind of thing.

I will stick with the 2-handed technique even though its slow and frustrating but from what I've heard, better start that way than try to adapt later on. Being blind as a bat and having to wear glasses while I shave means that I've got to try to reduce the number of blind spots as much as possible.

Beard mapping has been done. I pretty much know the angles required but knowing where I'd like the blade to go and it actually doing what I want is another thing entirely but its getting there slowly. I'm going to stick with WTG until I'm comfortable then across and against if and when required (but that's a good few weeks/months away no doubt).

Oh yes, the master stroke (no smut in the back please!) - coup de maitre. I did hesitate but luckily avoided a cut or nick. It wasn't the smoothest of results (pretty shabby to be honest) but maybe a little glycerin in the lather will help next time. Thanks Mr Miller for the tip - I popped into Boots this afternoon and acquired a bottle but I'll have to use some sort of lather bowl (ramekin maybe?) as I usually face lather and I guess splashing glycerin over my face or dropping it into the brush isn't really the done thing.

Today is another day of rest though. Much as I'd like to just rush in and practise everyday, until I progress from hacking away to actually shaving, I'm happy to take my time and absorb on all the good advice everyone is generously offering up (but not the slamming hand in door:icon_lol:). It also gives me more time to idly spend on the internet looking at things like scuttles and Revisor razors (they do look the business - are they any good?).

To Fido - thanks for the kind comment. If I've maybe inspired you to pick up a straight again then that has made me happy. Unlike a couple of members that have very generously offered me samples and even a razor (many many thanks - you know who you are!) I have little to offer other than what I learn and experience on a shave by shave basis right now. I think I need to research brushes more too - I've been using my one and only brush since day one of wet shaving; a Trumper Super Badger IB6. I have no idea if it is good, bad or ugly but I remember the salesman saying that it was a good beginners brush but maybe not the best quality and would probably need to change it in a year or two. 5 years on and its still going strong. I wish you all the best with your NFB venture!

Looking forward to shave number 4.....

F

Back
Top Bottom