Is your razor too dumb? Well new razor "Phi Razor" to the rescue ;)

They've actually been very active on a similar thread over on TSD.
Probably because that thread has a bit more serious tone.

The proof is in the pudding as they say. If it gets backed on Kickstarter...we'll see. Personally, I'd ditch the light and lower the price point if it didn't get enough backing on this first Kickstarter run.

Edit: I wouldn't have come up with this razor if I was designing one. Props for that. It's unique.

That'll be it then - TSR is where the gentlemen come to smoke a cigar, down a couple of ports and escape from the mewlings of the clan. Respect to the phi people for climbing on board to face this aristocratic mob.

Interesting... I was thinking that we hadn't heard anything recently about the Phi Razor, so I decided to peek at their Kickstarter page. Apparently, funding for the project was cancelled by the project creator on 29 February.

Nothing on their Twitter feed about it (or anything after 26 February when the Kickstarter went live).

Interesting... I was thinking that we hadn't heard anything recently about the Phi Razor, so I decided to peek at their Kickstarter page. Apparently, funding for the project was cancelled by the project creator on 29 February.

Nothing on their Twitter feed about it (or anything after 26 February when the Kickstarter went live).
The total of backers at the time it was pulled was 11, 10 of whom were for the "basic" $135 kit, and one who was a $10 "Thank you", for a total of $1715 Canadian from a target of $100,000. I don't somehow think they would have reached the target.
They also made the higher pledges and upgrades too complicated and difficult to work out, and badly laid out on the page as well, to the extent where most people would likely lose interest. This contrasts with the Single Edge (of which I'm a backer), where what you get for which pledge is clearly laid out with a price, picture and description.

Big mistake of not releasing the "secret" of the intelligence until launch day. Kickstarter is best used when you already have some sort of following. It's all about momentum and you need to know that you will have a lot of orders the minute you hit the green light. That only happens if you let people understand what you're offering in advance. Of course, there are other problems, too, but that one bugged me the most.

Big mistake having a crap product, when ten minutes of conversation on this forum alone would have steered them right to what they needed to have to start selling to the community. It's a razor ...... Keep It Simple, Stupid :D

Sometimes appears as if manufacturers have never heard the basic engineering maxim that ' form follows function '. Yet just look at new products such as the Hone DE or the Bunny SE to see that getting the performance spot on doesn't prevent the razor looking great.

JohnnyO. o/

Big mistake having a crap product, when ten minutes of conversation on this forum alone would have steered them right to what they needed to have to start selling to the community. It's a razor ...... Keep It Simple, Stupid :D
I think there was an even more fundamental issue; at then end of the day, they were selling a razor, yet the page actually talked very little about shaving or the advantages of the Phi Razor. Instead, they went on about the wonderful microprocessor-controlled handle with its LED, vibration and motion control.

Based on some things that they said on TSD, it seems like they put a lot of work into designing their own DE head and in speccing out their own blades, both Mach3-compatible and DE. None of this is mentioned anywhere. On the other hand, when I mentioned that they really need to talk more about features and benefits, the response was that they assumed the benefits of the light and vibration were self-evident.

The whole thing read more like a write-up in Make magazine or on Hack-a-Day about building an "intelligent" razor handle. My own feeling was that it felt more like something Adam Savage would have built for an episode of Mythbusters where they test shaving myths. (God, I will miss that show.)

Back
Top Bottom