Is There One Razor You Will Never Part With?

There are probably at least a dozen or so razors that I would not let go; the pre-1960’s vintage Gillette’s represent to me, the pinnacle of US engineering, manufacturing and marketing from an era where a mighty industrial base gave us the Manhattan Project and the Apollo Programme and an attitude that anything was possible. They are also great shavers. My Gem Bullet Tip, even though it is an SE, remains unsurpassed in terms of quality and engineering, to any razor I have used.

With modern DE’s — whilst I will keep great classic razors such as the R89, R41, 34C, Progress etc, the standouts for me are the Weber PH and the Feather WSD2. The WSD2 would probably be the one. It shaves in a similar way to my Flare Tip Rocket, more so than my EFB Tech, but Feather managed to engineer it, to provide an even smoother shave against the grain, and its balance is sublime. Not an easy razor to learn, it has its compromises, like all razors, and it is not as quick or agile in use as the Rocket, but oh, it is one smooth operator.

Hard to pick to be honest. Probably Karve CB D plate. But at the same time Gillette FBT is a close one...

There are plenty of ones that I just love but at the same time looking at long-term useabilty what both gives me a close shave yet wouldn't be overly too aggressive.

DE. Probably my "Goldfinger" '64 Slim which I bought here NOS, ummed and ahhed for about 5 seconds whether to open and use it or not before caving. It's a great shave and I really enjoy using it.

My Koraat 14/2.0 bellied hollow which I got off Blademonkey and which I think he might have got from James is defo the pride of my small collection and gives a great shave.

Back
Top Bottom