Is it worth spending loadsamoney?

I personally think that investing in one or two quality brushes actually IS worth the money. The difference between a nice Simpson, Vulfix, Kent or Rooney and a cheap boar or pure badger is gigantic. Sure, cheap tools can 'get the job done', but I consider shaving not as a chore but as a very pleasant ritual. Having good quality shaving tools really makes all the difference. Palmolive gets the job done, Proraso gets the job done but I honestly feel I still need Trumper, Harris and MWF...

That said, I do believe some brush expenses really are a little crazy. Plisson HMW, Rooney finest - all very nice but not that much ahead of a more modest Simpson best badger. I'd say, above 80-100 pounds/euros the leap in performance is only marginal. Go below about 50 and quality will drop accordingly.

Fido said:
Would anyone care to tell me which brush between £100 to £200 would be a sheer delight to own and use? I could be tempted........ I may not have many shaves left - one never knows.

Since you ask you really can't go far wrong with a Simpson's 2 band. Is it worth it?

Of course it is.

By the time you have bought half a dozen other brushes looking for the holy grail you could have just as easily bought a 2 band but then you wouldn't know that you really needed or wanted one. ;) Vulfix who now own Simpson will be getting more 2 band hair in a fortnight or so.

2band.jpg

If you were to combine the very best qualities of boar and badger hair then that is what 2 band gives you, it is a pleasure to own and use.

Is that this one?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Chubby_CH2_Super_Shaving_Brush.html#a519">http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog ... .html#a519</a><!-- m -->

More questions may follow!

The Simpson's 2 band hair is different to the Super, it costs the same but you will usually need to ask the retailer because of limited supply.

There is a good explanation here by HoratioCaine about the differences between the Simpsons 2 band and Super hair.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97022&highlight=Simpsons+band">http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread ... psons+band</a><!-- m -->

As you can read from the post Robert sold out quickly so you usually need to reserve one.

Diamond Edge can also get them + 10% discount for TSR membership.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Simpsons_Shaving_brushes.html">http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/ ... ushes.html</a><!-- m -->

or contact Vulfix/Simpson direct.

Thanks. In previous post forgot to mention I am adding a Semogue 2000 to the 1305, Duke 3 and BK8. I really must settle down with those before deciding on the next treat. Next purchase will be based on a clear idea of what I really want to achieve with another brush whether it be practical goal or sheer indulgence.

Seems like you have a nice spectrum of brushes Fido. Your'e right of course, you should have a clear idea of what you want.

My experience is that I stopped wandering about other brushes soon after I bought the 2 band unfortunately it only convinced me I would like another type of 2 band brush in the future, I cannot say that about any other brush type I own. I also have a Duke 3 which is a fine all round brush but it is limp wristed compared to the Chubby two band and even the Best and Super.

As you have had a taste of luxury badger hair you may now want something with a bit more firmness and scrub, soft tips with back bone is the M.O of the 2 band, unfortunately by comparison it costs a lot. The boar lovers will try and convince you otherwise but I say save yourself multiple 20 to 30 euro purchases and put it towards a two band...if by slim chance you don't like it you could pretty much get your'e money back on it. It's a good investment either way.

Afraid not...they only made the Tulip 2, Persian Jar 2 and Chubby 2 with the last batch of hair from what I understand. I certainly remember reading about requests for different sizes being refused like a Chubby 1 or larger Tulip, just don't think they could accommodate every size with a limited supply of hair.

I don't think the knot sizes change much from the standard Super range, my CH 2 band is around 27/28 mm. The T2 and PJ 2 look similar but considerably smaller than the CH2 in this picture.

attachment.php

antdad said:
I don't think the knot sizes change much from the standard Super range, my CH 2 band is around 27/28 mm. The T2 and PJ 2 look similar but considerably smaller than the CH2 in this picture.

Poorly worded, I mean't to say the T2 and PJ2 look like they have similar size knots not that they are similar to the Chubby.

Oh yeah, quite a difference. Thx AD. I can vouch for chubbies to be very dense & poor unadultered luxury. Are all simpsons equally dense for the equivalent knot size. Or is the chubby singled out for some reason?

I think the short answer across the Simpson range is basically no but I couldn't say for sure how the Tulip2 and PJ2 compare. They are clearly smaller in diameter and yet the 2 band/Super version of both the PJ2 and T2 are priced at nearly three figures so they could be close. Frederick said his PJ2 Best blooms because it isn't "Chubby" dense and the Super's are supposed to be denser but use softer hair than the Best. Judging by owner's post's these other models are not quite as dense and as you go further down the price scale you would naturally expect them to become less so.

I suppose the Chubby is the Simpson's "box office" premium model and they would want to keep it that way by making it the densest brush they produce. I bought a Duke 3 Best on the basis that it was the knot equivalent of a Chubby 1 Best, it's quite close but really not close enough to be able to use it in the same way. I just can't scrub my chops using the Duke in the same way as I do with the Chubby, it isn't as muscular and has trouble with the harsher treatment, it just isn't as dense.

I have spent some time reading various reviews and these 2 band brushes sound like badger but not (or knot) as we know it. antdad, you said it is not available just now but more is coming back in at the end of the month was this info from Diamond Edge?

Information was from Vulfix/Simpson directly.

Brett at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:sales@vulfixoldoriginal.com">sales@vulfixoldoriginal.com</a><!-- e -->

Brett is the General Manager of Vulfix and I have always found him to be very responsive and helpful.

If you absolutely want to secure one then I would contact Vulfix directly if not you could probably reserve one through a retailer where
you will probably get it cheaper.

I ended up buying one through an American retailer who had a sale on + exchange rate was good at the time, hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom