Is it worth spending loadsamoney?

mmmm...unfortunately hope is no guarantee. I think David orders in brushes from Vulfix rather than holds stock. If you're keen contact Brett.

Sure, cheap tools can 'get the job done', but I consider shaving not as a chore but as a very pleasant ritual. Having good quality shaving tools really makes all the difference. Palmolive gets the job done, Proraso gets the job done but I honestly feel I still need Trumper, Harris and MWF...

That said, I do believe some brush expenses really are a little crazy. Plisson HMW, Rooney finest - all very nice but not that much ahead of a more modest Simpson best badger. I'd say, above 80-100 pounds/euros the leap in performance is only marginal. Go below about 50 and quality will drop accordingly.[/quote]

I agree that shaving is not a chore, for sure, the happy ending is to achive as close a shave as possible in the most comfotable manner. If you have all the time in the world to achieve that, well, that is excellent. I have had the pleasure of being a "high end" shaver, still could be if i wanted too & I do not knock it. But, this is the beauty of our beloved hobby, there are many a great shaves to be had out there without spending top $. The goods you mention above, boar brushes, palmolive......they more than get the job done, IMHO.

You cannot beat a $300 badger brush with a stick for luxury. But, it can easily be matched with a $20 boar for lather making ability.

I am currently squirelling away coffersa from SWMBO for a 2 band, thanks AD, for being the enabler. :)

Sorry about that fozz... :oops:

It's a lot of dough but you get a lot of brush for your'e money. I don't think you'll regret it as it is a class act and undertakes every task with consummate ease. Less of a hog than the standard Super because of the courser 2 band hair, what else can I say? It's a keeper. IMO.

I'm talking about the CH2 but this fellow like the Tulip, I'm not that keen on the shape although it is clearly very practical.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://shaving101.com/index.php/product-reviews/3-brushes/58-simpsons-tulip-2-t2-two-band.html">http://shaving101.com/index.php/product ... -band.html</a><!-- m -->

The "bigger" bristles with soft tips makes perfect sense. I m not trying to be a bore but, that is why boars are such lather machines - flow through.

My CH3 would hold a tremendous amount of lather. That, to me is not what i want in a brush. I want the lather to go on my beard where it is needed.

The 2 band seems to work well with both soaps and creams and the water & heat retention qualities that I like in badger brushes are just as important as latherability to me. The quality of a thoroughly warm lather with every pass may seem like luxury but I actually think that warm lather on those final passes really helps me achieve a better shave. After all we go to all that trouble with face prep, heat and hydration, 5 minutes later after the first or second pass, your face, beard, brush and lather have cooled significantly and your'e on your'e last pass or two

Anyway Vintage blades now has them in which is a surprise given what I was told by Vulfix.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=216">http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/x ... hp?cat=216</a><!-- m -->

That CH3 is a right lump you could use loose a whole soap in there. ;)

fozz77 said:
My CH3 would hold a tremendous amount of lather. That, to me is not what i want in a brush. I want the lather to go on my beard where it is needed.

It's a fine balancing act between getting the lather on your face, yet keeping enough in the brush for subsequent passes.

I'm finding my Rooney 3/1, once broken in, does this admirably. My Chubby is a bit of lather hog, and you have to squeeze the base on passes 3-4 to get any lather out. It's there, it's just being held prisoner by that monstrous knot!

John

fozz77 said:
Too some people it is definately worth it. Too others it exactly the opposite. The sheeple sit happily in the middle.

Its all in the mind....I have a high end fishing rod. does it let me catch more fish? No, of course not. but i love it.

I have a Simpsons Chubby # 3 in super, do i get better lathers no. But i love it. Compared to my Semogue 2015HD ( is only 2 shaves old ) the chubby is like a Rolls Royce ( i imagine ) a smooth comfortable ride. The Semogue is like a Subaru Impreza , quick & nimble.

Great post Fozz! I like the car analogy. Spot on.

Save and be happy. Spend and be happy.

Fido said:
fozz77 said:
Too some people it is definately worth it. Too others it exactly the opposite. The sheeple sit happily in the middle.

Its all in the mind....I have a high end fishing rod. does it let me catch more fish? No, of course not. but i love it.

I have a Simpsons Chubby # 3 in super, do i get better lathers no. But i love it. Compared to my Semogue 2015HD ( is only 2 shaves old ) the chubby is like a Rolls Royce ( i imagine ) a smooth comfortable ride. The Semogue is like a Subaru Impreza , quick & nimble.

Great post Fozz! I like the car analogy. Spot on.

Save and be happy. Spend and be happy.

Thats it mate - BE HAPPY!

Back
Top Bottom