Irritated computer eyes?

Those of you who have seen my posts here before will know I'm pretty clueless, so I never thought I would post something in this section that might actually be of use to someone out there.
My eyes have been feeling very sore and irritated for quite some time now, and I've noticed that when staring at the computer screen it feels like the brightness exacerbates this.
I installed this https://justgetflux.com/ and feel it is really helping, so anyone feeling the same might like to try it......no doubt someone more knowledgeable will now tell me I've just installed a virus and my computer has only days to live. :)

Hello, I'm no more knowledgeable than the next person. Looks like a good program. I also have an app on my phone called 'darker' which is free and does the same thing very useful. Apart from this I use blink drops which I can use whilst having my contacts in (specific blink drops) and help prevent my eyes drying out. In these months its heating/fan heaters/dust/cold weather etc etc that don't help in keeping the eyes moist. Lots of carrots and mayo too ;)

Anyone use icaps capsules? Heard good things about them.

You could just dim the screen using brightness/Gamma or select a warmer colour tone on your screen - usually accessible through the menu on your monitor.
Otherwise don't stare at it for ages, remember to blink, make sure you have another constant light near the screen etc.
Really you are a bit stuffed as whatever you do you are staring at a backlit screen. As I work on computers all day I have a pair of work specs with a very faint beige tint, I find it really helps to just take the edge off.

Years ago when being fitted for contact lenses, I was told that if you are constantly staring at a screen, your blink rate drops which results in sore eyes.

Take regular breaks from the screen.

Count, I find this program does impose a slight beige tint, and it automatically goes dimmer at night so you're not so over stimulated going to bed.

You're not using one of the old "goldfish bowl" monitors are you? They can cause a build up of charge/static on your skin which attracts dust etc. Flat screens don't have this issue. Just a long shot.

Like the others say, take regular breaks and focus on objects in the distance to give your eyes a change. Also make sure there are no reflections on your screen which makes it difficult to see properly.

I would have my eyes checked out as there are many conditions that can cause sore, burning eyes, including blepharitis. In the meantime, take frequent breaks from the computer and make sure you blink regularly.

FrankieG said:
I would have my eyes checked out as there are many conditions that can cause sore, burning eyes, including blepharitis. In the meantime, take frequent breaks from the computer and make sure you blink regularly.

Bloody blepharitis - really makes life a misery when I get an outbreak. The opticians I have spoken to pretty much dismiss the eye drops that are available in, say, Boots or Superdrug. I use a company called Butterflies Eyecare (or something like that) - they sell mush more viscous eye drops that help the lds slide more easily over dry eyes. When combined with good lid hygiene it clesars up, but not before few days of blurred vision in the affected eye.

jds said:
FrankieG said:

Bloody blepharitis - really makes life a misery when I get an outbreak. The opticians I have spoken to pretty much dismiss the eye drops that are available in, say, Boots or Superdrug. I use a company called Butterflies Eyecare (or something like that) - they sell mush more viscous eye drops that help the lds slide more easily over dry eyes. When combined with good lid hygiene it clesars up, but not before few days of blurred vision in the affected eye.
Ever tried visco tears eye ointment? Quite viscous and available over the counter.

Just to update on this. I noticed an improvement in the eyes shortly after starting an Atkins type diet, but they still weren't perfect. A combination of the 'flux' thing, and also turning down the brightness as far as possible whilst still able to see the screen has all but cleared the problem.

Back
Top Bottom