Injectors low down

Norfolkdick said:
missingskin said:
This probably one for Martin or someone from over the pond. I have just purchased a sealed pack of injector blades distributed by Consumer Value Stores (Div of Melville Corp, Woonsocket). I am guessing they are generic blades but made by who ? And are they any good ?

Greetings

I'm just an old boy from Norfolk (this Norfolk) and what I now state is mainly as a result of what I have read.

With injector blades there are not very many choices of manufacture ie Schick which are now made in China, Personna/GEM which is now all the same company and made in the USA, PAL which I think are also now owned by GEM/Personna and Dorco from South Korea. I believe nobody else are making injector blades.

Pal injector blades are widely used in Lab work for tissue slicing but are not rated highly for shaving, The Personna PTFE coated blade we all know and are the only ones available here in the UK from Paul at Connaught's. That leaves the Dorco's I do know they manufacture Injector blades for USA chains as indeed they do with standard SE blades. I have tried the SE blades and they are crap just like their DE blades but I have never tried any injector blades made by them. The Dorco SE blades say Made in South Korea on the packet.

I strongly suspect they will be Dorco or PAL, perhaps as you say Martin knows.

Regards
Dick.

Hi Dick, I have opened the pack and I cannot find any place of manufacturing they are listed as "Platinum Chrome Injector Blades with a polymer coating for a smooth shave"
So I guess it will either be plain sailing of a blood bath............:s
Cheers for the info though.

Edit should have added think Melville Corp went under in 1996 so they are not that new..........not exactly vintage either!!

Norfolkdick said:
missingskin said:
This probably one for Martin or someone from over the pond. I have just purchased a sealed pack of injector blades distributed by Consumer Value Stores (Div of Melville Corp, Woonsocket). I am guessing they are generic blades but made by who ? And are they any good ?

Greetings

I'm just an old boy from Norfolk (this Norfolk) and what I now state is mainly as a result of what I have read.

With injector blades there are not very many choices of manufacture ie Schick which are now made in China, Personna/GEM which is now all the same company and made in the USA, PAL which I think are also now owned by GEM/Personna and Dorco from South Korea. I believe nobody else are making injector blades.

Regards
Dick.

Guys, Martin don't know nuffin bout injector blades when it comes to who makes what blade for which brand names. Used to have a little info but forgot it years ago. Funny, I don't recall seeing Dorco anywhere in the mix. It was mostly Personna and ASR I think back then.

Sorry I have nothing else right now, but i will be curious to see how the blades drunkenmonk has end up working out.

dodgy said:
Norfolkdick said:
missingskin said:

Greetings

Regards
Dick.

Guys, Martin don't know nuffin bout injector blades when it comes to who makes what blade for which brand names. Used to have a little info but forgot it years ago. Funny, I don't recall seeing Dorco anywhere in the mix. It was mostly Personna and ASR I think back then.

Sorry I have nothing else right now, but i will be curious to see how the blades drunkenmonk has end up working out.

Well Marv and I thought you were the font of all knowledge on Injector razors. Well thought for a fiver for 11 sealed blades in a new pack they were worth a punt.
I will let you know how I get on with them.

missingskin said:

Well Marv and I thought you were the font of all knowledge on Injector razors. Well thought for a fiver for 11 sealed blades in a new pack they were worth a punt.
I will let you know how I get on with them.
[/quote]

See now, normally I woulda made something up and it woulda been believable and persuasive. I will hold off right now, seeing as how this has so far been a straight forward thread and people might get the wrong idea about injector blades. So yeah, I knew you would be a little disappointed in old Marvie.

Greetings

Yesterday lunchtime and after making the above post these blades arrived in the mail from the States together with a Schick injector I purchased.

These is no mention of a Polymer coating but they are Platinum Chrome coated, note the date of 1998 on the back of the packet.

What sort of cartridge are your blades in?

Regards
Dick

DSC04542.JPG

DSC04539.JPG

Bluebriz said:
I have two Ls (I think) but the embossed logos are slightly different. Also, one sounds like it's loose with no blade in. Would it be ok to put up some pics so someone more knowledgable could help me out?
When Eversharp took over the Schick brand there were slight differences between the markings on razors between production runs.
Eversharp Co. was the parent company of Schick from 1946-69 (G-type to the middle of the L-years), and they seem to have had a series of identity crises. They played around with their logos & razor names quite a bit. Some injectors in this era were marketed under only the Eversharp name rather than Schick stamp. Others had both names. Alan G. Appleby suggested that this was Eversharp's attempt to distinguish the injectors from their Schick "dry shavers" (electrics). For example, the K-types were marketed as "Lady Eversharp" with no mention of "Schick" on the box. (They have a cursive L on the head instead of the crown or triangle.)

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

Yesterday lunchtime and after making the above post these blades arrived in the mail from the States together with a Schick injector I purchased.

These is no mention of a Polymer coating but they are Platinum Chrome coated, note the date of 1998 on the back of the packet.

What sort of cartridge are your blades in?

Regards
Dick

DSC04542.JPG

DSC04539.JPG

Hi Dick, I think you may have cracked it. The writing on the back is pretty much the same as yours. Yours have "a comfort coating" mine have a "polymer coating" The blade holder is almost identical just has Platinum Coating written the side.
Just had a shave with one, not shaved since sunday so had a bit of work to do......:angel:.
Used my Schick M1 set at 5 (forgot what Martin suggested for best setting..:huh:)
2 passes 1 WTG & 1 ATG with a couple of touch ups, no irritation, no nicks and BBS shave.
Now we will have to see how they last, but at 50p ish per blade ..........

missingskin said:
Just had a shave with one, not shaved since sunday so had a bit of work to do......:angel:.
Used my Schick M1 set at 5 (forgot what Martin suggested for best setting..:huh:)
2 passes 1 WTG & 1 ATG with a couple of touch ups, no irritation, no nicks and BBS shave.
Now we will have to see how they last, but at 50p ish per blade ..........

Holy crap! Were you in the slammer again? Or maybe that crazy bearded guy Vinnie has been a bad influence on you. Jeeez shrunkenjunk, that's a while between shaves.

There is a beauty supply chain of stores (ISally) that was selling maybe 3-4 years ago what looks to be the blades like what's in the pictures. Can't say for sure. they may still stock em for all I know.

Glad to hear those blades made it through the tangle.

Marv

majortom said:
Bluebriz said:
I have two Ls (I think) but the embossed logos are slightly different. Also, one sounds like it's loose with no blade in. Would it be ok to put up some pics so someone more knowledgable could help me out?
When Eversharp took over the Schick brand there were slight differences between the markings on razors between production runs.
Eversharp Co. was the parent company of Schick from 1946-69 (G-type to the middle of the L-years), and they seem to have had a series of identity crises. They played around with their logos & razor names quite a bit. Some injectors in this era were marketed under only the Eversharp name rather than Schick stamp. Others had both names. Alan G. Appleby suggested that this was Eversharp's attempt to distinguish the injectors from their Schick "dry shavers" (electrics). For example, the K-types were marketed as "Lady Eversharp" with no mention of "Schick" on the box. (They have a cursive L on the head instead of the crown or triangle.)

Very interesting, thank you very much for the information. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Bluebriz said:
majortom said:
Bluebriz said:

Very interesting, thank you very much for the information. [THUMBS UP SIGN]
With ref to the loose head, this happens fairly regularly with the injectors and is normally caused when people attempt to remove the old blade without replacing it with a new one, in order to clean the blade holder base, and they wedge open the head with a screwdriver or pencil etc. This tends to weaken the little spring clip that clamps the head tight. It is possible to bend this clip back into shape but it's a fiddly job, and as long as the head is tight when a blade is in, then I'd leave it be. When I get an Injector for the first time which does not have an old blade in, and the razor has been cleaned and polished, I've found that often there is some play in the head, or, more commonly, the blade holder is slightly misaligned, making it difficult or sometimes impossible to load another blade, as the new blade fouls the lower portion of the blade holder.

majortom said:
With ref to the loose head, this happens fairly regularly with the injectors holder.

I was also gonna suggest trying a twinjector blade of some type. Some of those are very pleasant and have a little thicker profile I think.

Hiya,

Wanted to mention it seems like injector ebay prices are real good at the moment. Heh, I can't remember the last time I checked those. Anyway, lots of nice injectors for under $20.

Hiya,

From early 2007 till around October of that year I went through a pretty intensive period of only using various injectors. Tried a lot of em and some different blades.....almost all being currently made ones. Ended up finding a vintage one that worked best for me.

Didn't touch an injector after that for a good couple years and then started up again, which brings us up to here and now. Yeah, once I grabbed a DE I thought I was done with injectors.....was positive. Heh, I sold many things back then.

Anyway, here's a post from TSD back in 2007:

Hi All,
No idea if these will be of any interest to injector users, but I'm selling off some of my private stash of blades. I'm not quite sure of how things came about, but I somehow I've ended up using only a DE now. Who knew?
Anyway, these are Personna 'twinjector' blades I purchased some while ago on ebay. I liked em so much that I bought enough to last me quite a while. Now it seems I'll probably not be using em anymore because of this recent (3 weeks now) switch to the DE razor.
I personally preferred these blades over the German schick, the pella blades, the CVS variety, and also personna platinum/chrome blades. They worked best on my face and gave me six excellent shaves per blade. They aren't recommended for hydromagic model injectors, Pal adjustables, or the 'E' and 'G schick types. I've used em with my 'J', 'L' and 'M' types with great results.
These are NOS twin blade stainless steel, in unopened blister packs of 7 blades to a pack, and will be sold in lots of 5 packages (35 blades total). I'm figuring on $25 for 5 packs, with shipping (CONUS) included. I have enough blades to make up 4 orders in all. The packages are blue and white.
Now I understand any blade's gonna be a YMMV sorta thing, and I don't know if the amount of blades per purchase might spook some members. I can tell you that these were my go to blades after a good bit of trial and error. I would never be selling these if I was ever planning on using an injector razor again. Still can't quite figure out how that DE thing happened....heh.
Thanks,
Martin

Hello gentlemen,

Just this morning I used my L type injector I bought from Erwin, and it's excellent.

I stress that I'm in no position to move on from it yet, but what's the "natural" progression in terms of aggression from an L Type?

Alex

The L is pretty mild as is the J. I would think your next injector would possibly be a G or I, and you will feel the difference in "effectiveness". With smooth shavers like the Schick, I always feel it's slightly misleading to consider one more "aggressive" than the other. Some people describe the E type as being the most aggressive, but I just find that it gets the job done quicker and better, two passes for a close shave rather than 3 and a touch up as in the L type. YMMV of course.

Back
Top Bottom