Increasing Irritation

Ids

I noticed most mornings regardless of which razor I use I get like pinkish lumps, these are worse with certain products but that's another story.

What I've been noticing is that this razor rash increases as the day goes on as if the growing hair is irritating me, if I don't shave for a day my neck becomes painful red and angry, past the 3 day mark it starts to calm down.

Daily shaving helps reduce the irritation but not eliminate it, does anyone else seem to get irritated not by the act of shaving but by the hair growing back?

I can suffer from it, particularly along my jawline.

As a result I never go against the grain and rarely go across the grain. I can give myself a BBS, but the irritation whilst it is growing back in through the skin is murder.

Another thing I have noticed with irritation is that I have been using Gillette Super Thins for the last 6 weeks and up until 10 days ago they were delivering a great shave, but since the weather has cooled down and I am spending more time indoors the shave has became more and more scratchy. This morning I shaved with a 7 o'clock sharp edge and things were much better. Maybe the Super Thin is not a a cold weather blade?

I'm very doubtful that shaving ATG gives you less irritation, those are classic symptoms of over shaving or shaving too close.

Give your skin a break and employ a less aggressive routine.

antdad said:
I'm very doubtful that shaving ATG gives you less irritation, those are classic symptoms of over shaving or shaving too close.

Give your skin a break and employ a less aggressive routine.

I'm new to DE shaving and while at first I was getting less irritation I've using a WTG XTG then ATG but I'm starting to see more irritation when the beard is growing back. I find the info on this forum very helpful so will just go back to 2 WTG and see if this helps.

Probably over zealouus in trying for the perfect BBS shave.
Let the blade and razor do the work, less pressure maybe, and try a soothing ASB such as Nivea Replenishing or pinch some of your wife's face cream at night :)

regards, beejay

I'll try and take it easy and drop to one pass for a few days.

Unfortunatly there's very little I can use on my neck that doesn't cause bad irritation, only things I've found so far is unscented soap and unscented witch Hazel, pressure wise I've been very careful in applying very little.

I find you have to be rather zealous about accurately mapping the direction of beard growth on the neck and stick to shaving WTG despite the perceived results.

If I deviate I pay.

Ids said:
I'll try and take it easy and drop to one pass for a few days.

Unfortunatly there's very little I can use on my neck that doesn't cause bad irritation, only things I've found so far is unscented soap and unscented witch Hazel, pressure wise I've been very careful in applying very little.

Boots The Chemist own make of moisturisor is unscented and I find it very effective.

Kevin

I've done a face map too. By knowing this very well, I always know what I can and can't do.

My shave is normally WTG, then atg and i want something real close, atg the other way. Normally 2 passes is plenty enough though. Xtg is something I would never do but now I have a adjustable I may try it on 1.

If you want to try some of the Trumper's Skin food I use just PM me & I'll get a sample down when the snow & ice keeping us trapped in the house ease off. I found it very hydrating and soothing, with the faintest of scents.

JohnnyO. :geek:

Dipesh said:
I've done a face map too. By knowing this very well, I always know what I can and can't do.

My shave is normally WTG, then atg and i want something real close, atg the other way. Normally 2 passes is plenty enough though. Xtg is something I would never do but now I have a adjustable I may try it on 1.

dipesh I think you might be mixing up atg (against the grain) xtg( across the grain) as real hard to go atg in both directions :lol:

I must admit the bit that irritates I've got multi direction growth.

Thanks for the offer Johnnyo but I didn't get on with the skin food, like the smell but my skin wouldn't absorb it and I got the usual increased irritation from it.

Try the kindest and most forgiving blade you've known so far, on the most enjoyable DE razor for you and do a single pass shave. Do not apply a lot of pressure while shaving the easily irritated areas.

See if this works.

Sorry to see you're going through this, it's not nice and I understand as I've had (and still have) irritation as well, but there should be a way out.

I was certain that I'd replied to this earlier. I must not have pressed 'Submit'!

Take a break from shaving for a day or two, and then spend some time looking at the growth directions of your beard.

Then, have a few days of WTG only and see how it goes. If it's okay. try some XTG, but avoid ATG for now.

I have a 'swirly' patch on my neck, and even now I can sometime get it wrong and cause a little redness.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom