Importing soaps from US to UK

Has anyone first-hand existence of importing soaps from the USA to the UK and the associated charges? I'm particularly having an eye on the How To Grow A Moustache soaps. Obviously there's VAT to pay, but everything else looks like it is likely not to apply to the ~£25 of goods.

I import soaps regularly for myself. The customs charges kick in at £15 or around $24.
If you buy any more than this value you run the risk of being caught for VAT plus the Post Office £8 handling charge.
Seifenglatt do the soaps you mention and are in Europe so no customs charge may be worth a look. I've had stuff from them takes about a week for delivery.
http://seifenglatt.com/How-to-Grow-a-Moustache/How-to-Grow-a-Moustache-Synergy-Shaving-Soap-Rasierseife

Do you mean importing and is reselling them or just an order for yourself? Executive Shaving carry some HTGAM soaps.

axelk said:
Do you mean importing and is reselling them or just an order for yourself? Executive Shaving carry some HTGAM soaps.

I was confused by this myself. I'd hardly call buying a couple soaps importing but maybe OP is concerned about customs.

For those in Ireland, Knight's also has HTGAM for a very reasonable price:
http://www.knightsshavingshop.com/synergy-shaving-soap-225g-huge/

I was referring to just a few for my use - £25 would be a pretty small scale commercial operation! I know that executive shaving and knights carry them, but the markup is pretty steep.

The import charges I was asking about were customs duty and similar charges.

If you were unlucky to get charged the cost on £25 would be £5 VAT plus £8 handling for Royal Mail so £13.
This is usually paid when a Grey card is pushed through from the Postman. It asking you to collect a package from the mail sorting office local to you.

I have been stung for the royal mail £8 charge + vat a few times, some companys/people tick the gift option on the tax declaration to avoid that.

rob

I had a look and htgam soap is cheaper direct than from exec. I once had a packaged from the USA marked up with all the customs charges but the postman just handed it over without asking for any money so got away with that one.

I have one HTGAM soap and it is just another glycerin soap like you can buy anywhere. Do they make other soaps? If not, you waste money on a cheapo glycerin soap.

Based on various "expert" (now there's an argument waiting to happen) reviews, a relatively recent reformulation has produced something which is being compared to DR Harris. In my mind that makes it worth a look.

How recent was the negative experience?

I've just brought out the Lime soap into my rotation. I bought it earlier in the year.
I'm very pleased with the lather it easily creates, glycerine soap or not doesn't bother me the lathers all you could ask for, stable, slick, dense. Well it works for me anyway.
The large tin is great for loading the brush plenty of swirling room !

I've also got their HTGAM limes and it is OK but no better than the Scent From Heaven soaps you can get for £2.50 here in the UK. The lather is OK but post shave is nothing special for me.

They are a long way off something like MWF, cella and Tabac in my opinion.

I have the Bay Rum and Cavendish, bought from the states by Italian Barber and Maggard's respectively. Great guys to work with, didn't get stung by customs either time. Shipping is dear which undoes any savings. I hadn't realized Executive/Knights carried them at the time, but I got a lot of other US soaps while I was at it. Anyhow, I would highly recommend both.

The soap itself is a solid performer and really whips up a treat. There is something in the formulation (cocoa butter?) which lends a strong base note which clobbers the fragrance. All in all a very nice soap and I love the huge wide tin.

HTGAM - I have the Frost Bite, super strong menthol kick, and I also have 'The Beach' which is a collaboration with Razorock. Both great soaps.

Back
Top Bottom