I hate it...

when members with single figure posts that have contributed little and just head for the B/S/T trying to flog gear. You know I'm a forum Nazi, I've refused PIF's to these chancer's before can we make it more official. You can't flog owt without a thousand posts. :evil:

I guess as always we are all different. There are plenty of traders here who with their early posts may hope to sell us something. If a new poster can offer something that anyone thinks is a good price why deny them that option? If it's a problem for anyone, they simply don't buy from a recent joiner.

Freedom of action and choice and equality of opportunity for all! Old and new alike.

Yes I'm relaxed about this also however, for me, the key word is "member."

Do we all have equality of opportunity from the outset or do be have to go through the three degrees (so to speak) to gain a level of accepted credibility by our peers?

However I do have sympathy for the original post by antdad too; I will help anyone if I can but if I don't need/want a product then I won't buy it whether it's from an original member or a day old member...

Right, I'm off to A&E to get this fence post out of my arse.

:?

Do vendors not contribute to the forum, or are they just allowed to advertise?
This forum is alot different to the cycling ones ive been on before, you never really had vendors coming on to advertise anything. All advertising was done by people on the forum, who had used them and got good service etc.
But cycling is alot different with lots more bits, shops and other things.
I know when i first came on here i was PIF'd a load of blades. Which i am VERY thankful of. I was amazed by the generosity of the people, much different to cycling forums(although you could say i was PIFed something very expensive which makes up for it all)
The forum has got a very nice welcoming feel to it. There are a few that post the most, but they seem to welcome everyone. Very much unlike cycling forums, which have little cliques. One i left/got banned from i wouldnt go back if i was paid to. The clique there was bad, new people i dont think felt too welcomed or like they could say much and were shoved off into into a beginners forum, where most stayed for a while then just left.
Another cycling forum, you get the impression everyone knows everyone, and any post will go off with them having their personal chats.
The other thing i like about this forum, is my spelling(which i do have difficulties with, and even though i have a spell checker on the internet i sometimes get spellings wrong.
1000 posts can be quite hard to get. Maybe you have to be registered on the forum for so long and have so many posts before you can flog something?
I personally trust the members with lots of posts more, but from cycling forums, its often the ones with less posts that are alot more useful then the people with thousands of posts.
Someone on the cycling forum, who i hadnt really seen post much, emailed me saying he had a bike to help my TT times improve. I ride fixed and it was/is something special and would be worth alot.
So, i think aslong as they arent on their first few posts, or they dont just come on and put things up for sale without saying hi first, then its fine.
Ive not been here long though, so really i probably shouldn't comment, but just thought id add my pennies worth into it.

Oh, this is what i was 'PIFd' by a member on a cycling forum which i hadnt really seen much of on the forum itself, but had been there for a while.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/joejoe11/Image062-1.jpg
No idea how much it was worth, but that back wheel is worth a good amount is all i shall say.

Daft thing is they'd more than likely get a better price on ebay.

People swooping in to scoop up PIF's or snap up bargains would be more of an issue.

I do have some sympathy with Antdad, though.

If you take a purely capitalist view that one should be free to trade without contributing anything and it's only the bottom line that count's then go sell your wares on ebay.
If this site just existed as a trading post then it would cease to be of interest to anybody, let alone those that want to trade, frankly to allow members to use it as such devalues the very thing that draws us to it. The sharing of knowledge, trust, comradery and friendship.

I'm only asking for one thing that members should give a little before taking and all that will cost is a little time.

Yup, I tend to agree with Antdad on this one.

I know this issue has been debated a lot on B&B and they have rules about trading over there, but I don't think we should go so far as to set up rules at TSR. It is regulations like that that caused TSR to be formed.

I don't like it either, but have found that just mentioning to the seller (I'm talking private seller here, not trader) that is might be a nice idea to post in the Welcome forum is usually met with an apology and compliance.

Ian

Ian's right about the Welcome forum though. It irks me a little when a new member dives straight in without giving us a chance to to say hello. Perhaps we should point them in that direction as a matter of course.

I can see the point you make Ant but its a tough one to approach without being deemed to be heavy handed on the rules side of things.There are members who don't contribute much and have been here a while, there are also new members who haven't had time to input or maybe feel that their input won't be valued.I would hope that we could police ourselves so to speak,not contributing but cherry picking pifs and freebies is not on.Maybe it would be better if we operated a pif policy whereby the offer is opened and members have a set time to register interest before the pifee (lol) decides on who gets the goods.

Back
Top Bottom