HP BROWN SAUCE

Have any of you Guys or Gals found an alternative to HP Brown sauce .....Since the Government induced recipe change, HP now tastes VILE.....Or it did last time I tried some....I ended up throwing the food and the sauce away,it tasted so bad I thought the meat was off....It wasn't, it was the sauce...

I've tried Daddys ,but thats a bit too spicey and its also made by Heinz same as HP

If a recipe works,why on earth mess about with it...Be buggered to the Governments lastest health fads,we're all big boys and girls ,we can make our own minds up...

I didn't even know they HAD changed the recipe.

I've been enjoying the HP with guiness recently. I shall have to rethink whether I've really been enjoying it or not.

How did the recipe change, what did they previously add that Brussels feels is not in the spirit of the EU?

I didn't know they'd changed the recipe either, 'til I came to buy a new bottle,it tasted horrible and thinking maybe it was just a bad batch threw it away and bought another bottle from somewhere else...it was just as bad....then I discovered they'd changed the recipe.
They say they've reduced the salt content by a couple of grams..to comply with government health guidelines......but to me its more than that..the taste of the new stuff is completely different....Quite disgustingly rank in taste...it makes the meat in sausages and pies taste "off".....

I'll give Tesco's own brand a try Trainman....see what that does...thanks for the tip...Quite right about not using HP because they moved production...I boycott cadburys chocolate now since they moved production abroad....not that I eat much of it anyway these days....but you get my drift.....there's going to be nothing left for OUR KIDS in this country......

There's a Red n Brown sauce thread somewhere...

Tiptree is my brown sauce of choice but it's twice the price, nice savoury tang without being sickly but don't use enough to warrant looking for a cheaper alternative.

I haven't tried this and I doubt it tastes the same as HP but it might be very yummy:

http://www.stokessauces.co.uk/v3/products.aspx?c=1&b=2&d=0&u=92

Tiptree is my brown sauce of choice but it's twice the price, nice savoury tang without being sickly but don't use enough to warrant looking for a cheaper alternative.
[/quote]

Thanks Antdad....I'll look out for some Tiptree...the price isn't an issue , I don't use that much either.........so I'll give it a go...

Glad to know I'm not the only boycotter of Cadbury's or H.P.
Still, H.P.'s loss was L & P's Worcester Sauce gain.

Johnny (even my Brie cheese is made in Scotland) Q. \:icon_razz:

Oh Branson Pickle....love that on Cheese sandwich's........
I just bemoan the loss of HP Brown as It did go so well with a nice wedge of Stand Pie... But I'm sure there's an alternative out there somewhere waiting to be discovered......

Got a couple of suggestions to try for now anyway....Thanks Guys

Seems to be available at most supermarkets....

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/tesco-price-comparison/condiments/tiptree_brown_sauce_310g.html

I've just had Wilkins "Tiptree" this morning on the half English, very nice. Bit fruitier than HP, more natural tasting.
HP seems to have developed a very synthetic flavour.

I haven't tried Stokes but I was put off by the fact it didn't contain any tamarind which is for me the heart of a good Brown sauce.

I'm sorry to hear about HP sauce, my mince and tatties won't be the same. I'll give the Tiptree a go and see if how it compares.

Kevin

Just found this recipe for 'original' HP sauce:

http://saucerecipes.tv/home-made-hp-sauce/

Might be worth a try Tony, as...

"There are lots of copycat recipes for HP Sauce on the web, but most of them omit the characteristic ingredient, tamarind."

Back
Top Bottom