How many shaves out of a feather blade?

Over several weeks I have been using the Feather AS-D1 razor - a wonderful piece of craftsmanship! During this time I have used Feather blades (apart from one instance of a Kai). From habit I normally change blades after five three pass shaves, but found I could increase this to a week and then ten days. Curious as to how far I could go with this, today I reached day fourteen! The shaves are still comfortable, very smooth and there still seems no need to change the blade.

I'm wondering if this is due to some particularly fortunate combination of blade/razor? It would be interesting to know if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon with the same blade/razor.

I will need to experiment to see if it just applies to the Feather blades or other blades as well!

At this rate my current stock of Feather blades will last twice as long as I estimated :icon_smile:

I don't use them any longer, but they used to last me 3 shaves before a change. That was my choice (there was no sign of it degrading), I actually do that with all blades, and I've never really "pushed" one to see where it gets bad. I'm just wierd like that, I didn't get into DE shaving to save 5 pence per day, blades aren't expensive.

I think feathers do tend to last quite well, but even then, 14 days is by far the longest I've heard. You may need to speak to the Guinness book of records. ;-)

I think Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and Astras also have a long lasting reputation but maybe 7-10 days is about the longest you hear so yeah, 14 days is a long time.

Three shaves is my limit too,regardless of blade.....Maybe its that excellent Feather razor/blade combination...

I shall have to drop some Christmas present hints.....or I shall just have to buy one for myself..

I think blade hygiene may come into play, unless you're taking it apart to clean after every shave. I used a blade for over a week, simply rinsing after use, when I went to change the blade, the one in there was a bit manky and showed signs of rust. Although that was a cheap blade.

You're right Garbe, I've also noticed that blades look manky after say 4 shaves... no rust in my case (or it shouldn't be with a stainless blade!) but there's something that looks a bit like it. Probably just dirt.

Today was the fifteenth shave from the same blade! Still a comfortable, smooth shave. I have decided that fifteen is a good round number, so I have changed to a fresh Feather today. I will repeat the experiment and see if the next blade performs as well. I have no doubt I could go beyond fifteen as there is still no sign of pulling, tugging or a clear indication of the need for a blade change.

Not that it has any bearing on the number of shaves - I used Penhaligon's Opus 1870 cream throughout (it's half-price at the Penhaligon's outlet at Bicester village). It is a nice slick cream, but no more so than many others.

I do always wipe the blade and clean the razor after every shave incidentally. Since I always do that anyway with other blades I don't think it matters - it is really to keep the razor pristine.

chrisbell said:
What sort of beard growth have you got, Nikonos?

My rate of beard growth is about average - hair on the tough side of average I would say (at least the barber used to complain about having to re-sharpen his scissors) LOL. There is a family tradition on my mother's side of the family for tough hair. My great grandfather was a Cornish fisherman and was pulled out of the sea by his hair when he was washed overboard - or so the story goes anyway... :icon_smile:

chrisbell said:
Well, that means that my hypothesis about how you get to make a Feather last so long is incorrect!

Well, if the second trial with a Feather produces a similar result I'll try with a different blade to see if it still holds true. I think with the Kai I got about eight shaves, but I only changed it because I thought I should - rather than really needing to. The Kai does not the Feather razor quite so well though. You can feel it when you screw on the handle - there is slight 'graunching' noise as it tightens up. Although it all seems to be ok when it is fully tightened.

DJ-Steved said:
3 shaves is the maximum for me then I will change it no matter what blade I'm using.

I used to do very much the same. I don't see any point in wasting the potential use of a blade - I'll change it immediately if it gives any discomfort. I'm on day 5 of the current Feather.

Back
Top Bottom