How many shaves from a

FoxyRick said:
The pressure point is an interesting one. When I used a cartridge again a few days ago due to being in a hurry, I deliberately used less pressure like I had been doing with the DE. I had a more comfortable shave than I am used to with a cartridge, with just as close a result.

Perhaps learning to shave with the DE will improve my shaves whatever I use.

Pretty much everyone who comments on this reports that it does, due to the better prep, lighter handedness and paying attention to the direction of growth.

I used to use gillette fusion power cartridges and would get two weeks daily shaving from one. Do still use them on occasion but purchased a gadget to sharpen the blades I think its called a razor pit - really a strop made of rubber which did improve their life.

I must say I always liked the reverse gadget on the blade to get to that area just under the nose - sometimes when DE shaving I reach for the fusion to get to that area alone!

I will continue t use the, for speed or convenience when travelling but do prefer the wole experience of DEs

One week for me. That was shaving every 2 days and not at the weekends (except maybe Sunday night) so 3 or 4 shaves perhaps?

By that point it was so blunt that it would have been less painful to individually pluck out my facial hairs with tweezers.

I did have more success with Wilkinson Sword and became a fan of the Hydro range before I switched to DE but it all began to feel wasteful having 3-5 blades in one use. My doubts were confirmed when I switched to DE, realising that one clean, sharp 10p blade cuts much closer and causes far less irritation (especially against the grain) than a cartridge with multiple shoddy blades that cost £2 a go.

After all, multiple bad things don't amount to one great thing.

As for advertising gimmicks: If I was having a quick shave in the changing room after a gym session and some random suited bloke with a Fusion razor came running in with a camera, whooping and punching the air, I'd be more inclined to say "f**k off you weirdo, why are you running around the changing room?" than give his razor a try while his assistants watch. The only 'tug and pull' I want to hear about is when the Mrs is feeling a bit frisky.

I used to change my cartridge every pay day ( not because that was when I could afford it, just out of habit!) I am paid monthly
Never had a problem with them just hated buying them. Much prefer trying different things and experimenting. Been DE shaving since last August and not used a cartridge since. Bet I have spent 30x more than if I had stayed with the cartridge though!!!!

Usually around 5 or 6 from a Gillette Contour twin blade, Wilkinson Sword Protector Diamond twin blade, and around 4 to 5 from a King of Shaves Azor.

Oddly enough, the KOS cartridges have an open design, whereas the other cartridges were 'closed', in that they had less space for slick to pass through.

I used cartridges in the late 1980's, and again from around 2002 to 2011.

The mach 3 cartridge are the reason why I bought a straight razor. £13 for a pack of cartridges and in my experience they are only good for 2 shaves each.... and on the second shave they start to feel blunt by the end. Total rip off.

edit:
i assume those talking about 6 weeks / 30 shaves are all 12 years old?

SuperChrome said:
By that point it was so blunt that it would have been less painful to individually pluck out my facial hairs with tweezers.

The obvious next step on the Cartridge/DE/Straight path.

Ben said:

Nope.

Well past 40!

I presume it's all about technique.

It seems that received wisdom is that it's necessary to apply pressure to a cartridge razor. It isn't. If you do, all that will happen is that you will blunt the blades more quickly and irritate your skin.

joe mcclaine said:
Ben said:
edit:

New here, aren't you flower?

Hmmm - I suspect so. :-/

Well, speaking as a 49 year old 12 year old I was in a hurry this morning so used the M3 for a quick shave. This cart has been on the (EJ) handle for a couple of weeks & I got an effortless BBS. I love being 12!

Incidentally, I have noticed since I stopped using canned goo & gone to brush/soap, the cart doesn't get clogged at all.

Ollie9091 said "Bet I have spent 30x more than if I"

That's the 50% I'm failing on. The shaving is great.

Not doing much today but out for a few scoops with a couple of my mates early doors so afternoon shave for me today.

Ben said:
edit:

Maybe this 12 old could use your razor sharp wit as a razor
Joking aside, not a particularly heavy beard, and I shave daily so this would contribute to longevity

Leslie145 said:
You're going to disbelieve this answer I suspect...

Before I started on DE, I used to shave every other day with M3 & without a word of a lie, I'd get 2/3 months out of a cartridge with no problems, no pulling, nicks or any hassle at all; I do have a moustache/goatee, so that's less to shave, but still...

Now I'm about 50/50 M3/DE, it's more likely to be about 6 months...

Do I have the softest beard in Christendom?

Leslie I believe you! My fusion/m3 cartridges used to last me at least 4 months shaving 3/4 times a week.

joe mcclaine said:
Ben said:
edit:

New here, aren't you flower?

Only comments on pay day joe ;) that said you started it Ben :) secondly if only I had a beard to shave at 12!

joe mcclaine said:
hunnymonster said:
joe mcclaine said:
30+ without even trying.

This is now the 4th time I've posted this, I think.

I keep wondering if you're super hard for persisting with what must be such a dull (and corroded) blade or if you just grow insignificant bumfluff...

Others are reporting getting that many shaves out of a cartridge.

Let's see what they say first, treacle.

X

Harry-Hill-Fight-AP-WDC5.jpg

I can grow a respectable full beard to blend in with my Van Dyke in a couple of weeks, typical northern European blond heavy growth, and I used to change cartridges used five times a week every couple of months because I *suspected* they were starting to dull.

Anybody blunting an M3 in a single shave is either doing something wrong or is going to need to change DE blade after every pass.

I think I would get about 10 shaves from a cart and then ditch it. I never shaved every day then so in retrospect a cart would last about a month elapsed. however in the last 18 months before I started DE shaving had become such a pain that it was a once a month event, beard trimmed using the trimmer from the electric and then shaved with a cart so I reckon that last cart I bought probably lasted me a year.

I'll echo the wilkinsons sword one though, they used to clog up so badly that I was binning them after maybe one or two shaves simply becuase they were unusable due to the clogging, the blade may well have been sharp enough but the clogging was just annoying.

Also when I tried the Azor it relies on using pressure to activate it's cheap plastic head - it even used this in its advertising. I used to get quite comfortable shaves from that but it really was a tacky, cheap design.

i think at one point I had all three of them so I was always buying razors to find the best one. Not a lot has changed since going to DE.

Back
Top Bottom