How many passes? - and it's not about Barcelona!

For more years than I can remember, I slapped on some goo and scraped it off as quickly as I could, and shot off to work.

How different today.

I lather up, shave down my face and neck, lather again, shave up my neck and face, lather again and shave across to the centre. Then gently squeeze lather from the brush and apply by hand for a final, gentle tidy up. So that's four "passes' in all. And it all takes a lot longer than in my working days. But it is so much more of a pleasure than a chore.

Would I do this before going off to work in the morning? No way.

So is there a big difference between the retired and working shaving enthusiast?

Depends.

I suspect there are people doing this before going off to work in the morning, though they may not be that many.
Some usually prefer to sleep longer, don't mind shaving the night before, etc.

Depends on the flexibility one has. If people have to be at work 6 or 7am sharp, then it's tough.
If however you have to be at work around some time (say 9, 10am) then its possible.

I shave in the morning and as far as practicable try not to reduce my shaving time. I also prefer to be slightly 'late', despite the long face I get by my 'new Russian style of management' line manager when I come in the office, than change my morning rituals.

Fido,after reading this thread title and the other one,I know that theres a Real Madrid hooligan inside of you who wanna come out! :lol: :lol:

While employed in corporate roles for many years it was a quick one pass with a Gillette disposable,
Being self employed however means I can take time to enjoy a 3+pass shave in the morning and not worry about being late for work :)
A much nicer morning routine altogether :shave

regards, beejay

I work still, I do 2 passes on a working day. Takes me about 5 minutes longer than the "old" method with sensor and canned foam. I don't really have to get up any earlier anymore, though to start with I was waking 15 minutes earlier for obvious reasons of care due to being in the phase of learning a new technique.

Weekends are different, 2 passes as normal and then I do a third with touch ups / buffing, that whole shave takes ten minutes longer than a work one. It's my little treat on a Saturday night, even if I'm staying in, I'll combine it with a long hot shower and usually a haircut (clippers down to number 1) and neck shave, so maybe a good 40 minutes in a steamy bathroom all in all.

To be honest, if I was retired I might even only shave every other day, I'm not sure.

I think it depends on the hours you keep while employed, having worked a shift system for the last 29 years of my working life. Including a week of nights every 10 weeks then 06.30 starts another variable, leaving home at 06.00 in the morning. DE shaving at that hour would not have been the pleasure it now is every day for me now I am retired.
I think you could combine both systems DE for the rest days late start etc. then the quick scrape with multi blades for bleary eyed starts. All I know I for 1 will not be having to that decision, another joy of retirement.
With apologies to all you lads still working I did not wish to rub it in.
Pete

My standard workday shave is 2 passes+a bit of touching up. Quite a nice experience, doesn't take too long and gets the job done to an acceptable level.

At the weekend, when I don't have to go to work, I tend to do the same, but am a great deal more leisurely about it.

Ian

I kind of allways do the same, 2 1/2 passes, but I dial in the shaving speed according to how much time I´ve got. It also depends on the razor I use, some are easy to shave with and then it can take less time.

It's nearly always 2 passes for me irrespective of whether it is the weekend or a weekday as I can shave close enough with 2.

I have tried 3 passes once or twice before and although I can take off a tiny bit more the downside is the increase in irritation.

I used to go out to work and now I work from home. I only tend to do a two pass shave so it doesn't take that long. Once I discovered DE shaving I would shave before work without any great inconvenience. Now I seem to alternate between morning and evening shaves. Actually now I'm using the straight most days I leave it to the evenings because that does take time and concentration. Distractions can be a right pain in the neck. :?

Every shave I do is three passes, but I'm lucky (?) in that I work shifts. Prior to late's or night's I shower and shave before I leave the house. Before early's I always shave the night before, as the extra time in bed is too precious!

Back
Top Bottom