Horse Hair

I've never owned or used a horse hair brush. I usually prefer badger or synthetic. But I would like to try one. Can anyone please recommend one? My budget is £50.

I actually like the somewhat moppy character of horse hair brushes, but that might be because I usually bowl lather and only touch-up lather on my face if it feels a touch dry after having applied it.
I like the ZENITH Horse hair extra soft 506U XS (olive handle), although that one's almost too moppy.
I might grab the 50/50 one at some point.

If you don't mind purchasing from AliExpress, I also liked the 30mm Boti Brush's white horse hair knot in bulb shape. It's soft, but the density and knot size gives it a bit more backbone and the tips are fairly soft.

I used to have a Vie-Long horse hair shaving brush, one of the cheapest ones and it was scrubby with somewhat prickly tips even when pre-soaked, and kept shedding.
Perhaps their higher tiers are better, as one would hope so, but the Boti and the Zenith scratched that itch pretty well for me.

I actually like the somewhat moppy character of horse hair brushes, but that might be because I usually bowl lather and only touch-up lather on my face if it feels a touch dry after having applied it.
I like the ZENITH Horse hair extra soft 506U XS (olive handle), although that one's almost too moppy.
I might grab the 50/50 one at some point.

If you don't mind purchasing from AliExpress, I also liked the 30mm Boti Brush's white horse hair knot in bulb shape. It's soft, but the density and knot size gives it a bit more backbone and the tips are fairly soft.

I used to have a Vie-Long horse hair shaving brush, one of the cheapest ones and it was scrubby with somewhat prickly tips even when pre-soaked, and kept shedding.
Perhaps their higher tiers are better, as one would hope so, but the Boti and the Zenith scratched that itch pretty well for me.
The Boti option is what I'm most drawn to. I was wondering if I were to purchase the handle and knot will they assemble them.

The Boti option is what I'm most drawn to. I was wondering if I were to purchase the handle and knot will they assemble them.
Most of these shops do if you add a note when ordering asking them to do so.
You can always ask them whether they'd do it for you should you leave a note with the order before actually ordering.
You might want to do it yourself, though, as if you haven't used one before, your preference for setting the knot might be different than with other brush types.

Oh, and I also have a 30mm Oumo white horse hair brush in fan shape, and that's one I would probably set deeper than, say, the Boti bulb, because it really, really soft.

Update: guys decided on the ZENITH Horse hair 50/50 olive handle 507U. It arrived today so haven't had a chance to test it out.
View attachment 119139

I have both the Zenith 50:50 and the Extra Soft. They are superb knots that fly under the radar. The 50:50 has a scrubby face feel, more so than most boar knots, it also has a ton of backbone and a lot of presence at the tips. The Extra Soft outperforms any of my synthetic brushes in terms of the progressiveness of the splay and face feel. Neither of my knots have tangled or have become floppy and have required no more maintenance than any of my other natural hair brushes.IMG_1633.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom