Horn handled brush maintenance

Hello all,

I while ago I got an M&F horn handled brush.

I was looking at it last night and noticed its lost its sheen and looks a bit lighter.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on horn maintenance?

Cheers,

Dipesh

After a bit of research, it would appear that these need to be oiled so they don't crack!

I got some baby oil on the handle today. Left it on there for around an hour and the bling is back :)

Dipesh said:
Hello all,

I was looking at it last night and noticed its lost its sheen and looks a bit lighter.

Cheers,

Dipesh

Hi D,
Neatsfoot oil is what you want for your horn:icon_razz:
It feed and polishes,,and its cheap as well.
regards, beejay

Cheers Bill.

Ill get some of that I think. Baby oil worked pretty well, I'd just rather have the right stuff for the job.

Hope your well

Dipesh

Any country supplies place sells it. The place where I get our chicken feed from stocks it. They only sell it in pretty hefty tins suitable for horsey types but it is pretty cheap.

dosnt matter found a good place in the uk

its not cheap

£5.67 for 4oZ

but i doubt very much id use a lot

there are places ive found that sell it by the litre for the same price but thats too much

Dipesh said:
Hello all,

Cheers,

Dipesh

Hi Dipesh, part of my collection of horn brushes. I too use Neatsfoot oil, but hears the rub "no pun intended" most if not all neatsfoot oil on sale is blended and should not be used.

I have found a place in the U.K, called Chelsea Shoe Repairs that sell a 4oz bottle of 100% pure neatsfoot oil. Which he imports from the USA, he has a Ebay shop under this name.

Charles U.K

Back
Top Bottom