Hoping for less negativity in 2017 ....

There has a rather disturbing amount of negativity on the forums as of late.

/RantOn
By 'negativity' I don't mean people disagreeing about products and techniques - that has, and should, always be a part of any forum as its good to exchange points of views on what we use - and how we use it.

This "new negativity", that at least I see here, is about products/techniques that the poster(s) have never tried and is simply bashing products - and often its users - based on nothing but perception, rumours and, presumably, some convoluted personal agenda. More often than not these comments are written in such a way that it belittles the user/owner/believer in those products/techniques - and that's what I think is the recent change.

I have rather thick skin and have no problem at all with people not liking the product that I own/use - heck, they can hate them for all that I care - but there's way of phrasing things and there's arguments based on experience vs simply being oddly phobic about things you've never used and just want to raise a negative voice.

It used to be;
"I've owned a blue razor. F**k they're terrible what on earth do you like about yours?"

but has become

"I've never owned a blue razor but you're less intelligent than me if you buy one because they are SO bad"

Any person/company coming out with a new razor that dare to step into this forum simply to say "Hi" and/or answer questions have also as of late received everything from insulting accusations (and incorrect) about how the product was made/created - to why the price point is so high as "anyone can make that for 50p in a couple of minutes"-type of comments.

I used to enjoy trying to bring vendors to the forum as I enjoyed the interactions
and people asked them questions I would never had thought of myself due to different backgrounds, experiences, etc. and I think I brought some rather interesting vendors here such as Blackland, Hone and Option.Five, etc but there is no way that I would ever again ask a vendor/manufacturer to come onto this forum in the state it is now.

I don't even mind if people disagree or agree on any of the above - what matters is why you do.

The irony of creating a negative post complaining about negativity is obviously not lost on me but I don't know any other way of expressing it.

/RantOver

It's definately a fine line between good debate, and going a little too far with your comments, but I think most of the users here do a good job of keeping things on track and fair.

I think people's emotions (good and bad) increases with the price of the products for sale, and there are some VERY expensive items for sale over the last couple of years, that will always divide opinion.

It's a shame you have been disappointed with some reactions @Darkbulb, for what it's worth I very much enjoy what you bring to the forum so don't give up just yet!!!! :)

I can only agree.

A couple of times I've considered just stopping coming, not in an "oh I'm so insulted" way, just a "I can't be arsed with school kids" way.

I'd hope it would change but the posts to their credit are written clever enough to provoke but without breaking rules that a mod could deploy a ban hammer.

It's all very sad but not the end of my life. The poster(s) in question aren't that important, if I was that bothered I'd just open my own site.

Good post @Darkbulb that sums the current feeling up correctly

The sad part is that the lambasting is over shaving gear for God's sake. How can anyone become unstrung over something so pitiling in the grand scheme of things? Yes, we enjoy our time and sharing with others, but to lose one's mind over @Darkbulb's blue razor is ridiculous and goes against everything open discussion stands for. BTW, that blue razor is naff.

@Steve Bowles, you are so correct. We are talking about things (possessions, wants, and non possessions). This isn't like we are getting heated up over things that will affect the world or future generations. I came across this site mostly by accident but have found the people here knowledgeable an friendly for the most part and am glad I'm here now. Peace to all in 2017.

/RantOn
By 'negativity' I don't mean people disagreeing about products and techniques - that has, and should, always be a part of any forum as its good to exchange points of views on what we use - and how we use it.

This "new negativity", that at least I see here, is about products/techniques that the poster(s) have never tried and is simply bashing products - and often its users - based on nothing but perception, rumours and, presumably, some convoluted personal agenda. More often than not these comments are written in such a way that it belittles the user/owner/believer in those products/techniques - and that's what I think is the recent change.

I have rather thick skin and have no problem at all with people not liking the product that I own/use - heck, they can hate them for all that I care - but there's way of phrasing things and there's arguments based on experience vs simply being oddly phobic about things you've never used and just want to raise a negative voice.

It used to be;
"I've owned a blue razor. F**k they're terrible what on earth do you like about yours?"

but has become

"I've never owned a blue razor but you're less intelligent than me if you buy one because they are SO bad"

Any person/company coming out with a new razor that dare to step into this forum simply to say "Hi" and/or answer questions have also as of late received everything from insulting accusations (and incorrect) about how the product was made/created - to why the price point is so high as "anyone can make that for 50p in a couple of minutes"-type of comments.

I used to enjoy trying to bring vendors to the forum as I enjoyed the interactions
and people asked them questions I would never had thought of myself due to different backgrounds, experiences, etc. and I think I brought some rather interesting vendors here such as Blackland, Hone and Option.Five, etc but there is no way that I would ever again ask a vendor/manufacturer to come onto this forum in the state it is now.

I don't even mind if people disagree or agree on any of the above - what matters is why you do.

The irony of creating a negative post complaining about negativity is obviously not lost on me but I don't know any other way of expressing it.

/RantOver

Well-put.

Everything you say is right, and I support it entirely.

I can't add much to this, except to say that, for no good reason other than a hard-core troll element, the tenor of the forum has, quite lately, gone from amusing, informative and good-humoured, to being tedious and tendentious.

Once introduced, this bad stuff multiplies like cultures in a Petri dish. If I were a "newbie" in search of good information, but who chanced upon some of the recent, bleaker content, I'd shy away and look elsewhere.

I am a member of other forums (shaving and also other subjects), some of which have become bear-pits. TSR's special charm, which it is in danger of losing, is that it has not, hitherto, been an axe-grinding controversialist playground. It would be nice if that could ever be so, but it's mostly down to us, the members, to make it work right. For everyone.

/RantOn

It used to be;

but has become

/RantOver

I am sorry you feel that way, I quite understand where you are coming from, i have to disagree with you about vendors and company representatives, they have to roll with the punches, it doesn't work any other way, they must understand that otherwise they should not be in business
Though I understand that you don't want to be the conduit to that negativity, I would like to thank you for what you have done, you have the respect of many on this forum.

It might be worth remembering that there may be (and are) offending posts you don't even see because a moderator sees them first!

There is a strong presumption on here of what one might almost call 'Free Speech'. People will get away with things on here that they would not on other forums and I don't, in general, think this place is the worse for that. Policing is slow, but sure. Continuing infraction will result in consequences.

Please be wary of seeming to 'gang up' on certain members because you dislike their manner of posting or their style. Trolls and their brethren thrive on such, as they can then legitimately claim that everyone's out to get them.

A surprising stat for you. In the last month, 50 posts have been removed by Moderators. In the same period of time, 'only' ten reports have been made complaining about posts.

Your Moderators are more pro-active than you think and out efforts will be helped greatly if you all make an effort to REPORT A PROBLEM POST and DO NOT REACT.

I am now standing by to be inundated with a million reports. All my own fault, of course! :D

Although member's views are vitally important, I can't let this thread become a source of a different kind of negativity so your forbearance and self-moderation is appreciated.

@Darkbulb - did you receive the PM I sent you on 30th December? If not, please let me know.

Last edited:
It might be worth remembering that there may be (and are) offending posts you don't even see because a moderator sees them first!

There is a strong presumption on here of what one might almost call 'Free Speech'. People will get away with things on here that they would not on other forums and I don't, in general, think this place is the worse for that. Policing is slow, but sure. Continuing infraction will result in consequences.

Please be wary of seeming to 'gang up' on certain members because you dislike their manner of posting or their style. Trolls and their brethren thrive on such, as they can then legitimately claim that everyone's out to get them.

A surprising stat for you. In the last month, 50 posts have been removed by Moderators. In the same period of time, 'only' ten reports have been made complaining about posts.

Your Moderators are more pro-active than you think and out efforts will be helped greatly if you all make an effort to REPORT A PROBLEM POST and DO NOT REACT.

I am now standing by to be inundated with a million reports. All my own fault, of course! :D

Although member's views are vitally important, I can't let this thread become a source of a different kind of negativity so your forbearance and self-moderation is appreciated.

DB - did you receive the PM I sent you on 30th December? If not, please let me know.

And may I say a big thank you to the mods. Not something I'd wish to do my self, but I for one am thankful people do.

Back
Top Bottom