Honing Stones?

I was looking at this Polish straight razor and shaving supplies on Ebay and happened to see these 12K chinese stones, and wondered if anyone here as purchased one, and if so what do you think of them, and do you think it's worth a gamble.

Jamie

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Chinese-Water-Hone-Waterstone-Open-Razor-/130313723964?pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item1e574da03c

I have a c12k which I think is the same but from Invisible Edge, its OK and polishes the edge reasonably well. For the price its great but I get better, faster and more consistent results from a coticule.

Jamie, lots of stones to look at here (German site but has English translation and ships anywhere):

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/category/dickcatalog/Banksteine-3594_4934/detail.jsf

For someone like me who only has a handful of straights that require maintenance it's been okay but even I appreciate how slow it is even though I have nothing else that fine to compare it to, if you are thinking of getting into restoration I'd probably look elsewhere.

Yes I think you are probably right on this Tony, Iv'e always tried to buy the best I can afford, it's always false economy when you think you are on to a bargain with such a big saving. Buy cheap buy twice.

Jamie

Very true, I wish had just bought a coticule in the 1st place. However I might not have realized how good a stone it is if I had!

You still need a 1K stone to remove flea bites and chips but once thats done the Coti does the rest.

I have a King combination whetstone 1000 & 6000, I find that very useful stone, but maybe I will look at a coticule as well as a 10.000 stone? Thanks anyway Nic. PS if you dont mind me asking where did you pick up the coticule.

Regards Jamie

Having the input from you guys as been helpful, I have decided to go with a 8000 stone from a company I have purchased quite a few things off in the past, the Japanese knife company direct in Japan. here's the stone with a little bit of info, tell me what you think. I also think the size is a factor, the 70mm width is something I would prefer, even though I like my King combi stone, it's still only 50mm wide, also these stones need no soaking in water just wet as you use them, that's something else to think about.

Jamie

NEW!! Super Fine Whetstone Grit #8000

For those who care perfect edge and extra beauty of the blade without scratches or grind marks, Super Fine Grit #8000 whetstone including powdered pure alumina polishing paste is designed for perfect final finishing process of sharpening and polishing the blades. Comes with sturdy wood base, and the dressing stone (Nagura Stone).

How and when to use the Dressing stone*
During the sharpening process on the super fine grits finishing stones,the stone surface sometimes becomes slippery with black shinny part. You can apply Dressing stone with water to polish and remove the black shinny part.
Super Fine Whetstone Grit #8000
Stone Dimention Length* 205mm Width* 75mm Height* 25mm $86.00

untitled.png

Hi Jamie

I have a Chinese 12k and I can't get on with it. I have tried several different ways of using it and can never get a finished edge. This may be just me I will never know or possible I have a bad stone?

I look forward to the reports about the hone you have bought.

Back
Top Bottom