Honing service or otherwise?

Any SR that Needs Bevel Work goes onto the 1 K Bevel Hone..A Finishing Stone is a Finishing Stone or a Touch Up Stone..That's it..Its Ludicrous to Do Otherwise..Its Also Quicker than Farfing about with a Finishing Stone to Go through a Full Progression..Also..The Job will be Done Properly..Honing is a Progressive System..The Honing Doesn't Even Begin Until the Bevel has been Truly Set on the Bevel Hone..o_O

Billy
I'm not doubting obvious fact- but it's not always necessary.Depends on the damage.As I mentioned in my previous message I have managed it on a finishing hone on more than one occasion but the chips were only tiny.The guy who sorts it will be the one to decide ;)

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can only count on one hand so it's ineffective but entirely unforseen. It wouldn't normally have blunted this quickly.

I have indeed @Fergiebilly ;) I have every faith that the person doing the restorative work would do a good job ;)

I think, after some deliberation, I'll send it off for honing as it is the absolute cheapest option and I can keep watch of some auctions in the meantime!

Thanks again guys this conversation can be considered complete :) I will, no doubt, have the opportunity to buy expensive razors down the line! May as well start cheap in case it doesn't come to fruition!
Keep us all updated pal ;)

a 30, 12, 5, 3, 1 lapping film progression will set you back about 10 pounds not counting a flat object of some kind to use as a base, a lot of fun for the money, promise! :)

Keep us all updated pal ;)
To keep you updated, the Gold Dollar is currently in an envelope which was ready for me to post. I ended up getting a Niazi straight razor which is lovely and old and far nicer (in my opinion), seemingly sharper and less unwieldy than the GD to use so have put the GD to one side...

I also have a USSR razor on its way to @Fergiebilly to be honed... let the RAD begin.

However, I have been a right twp (dull bugger) today and during a quick tidy up of my cheeks with some newly acquired shave cream (Cyril R Salter Wild Rose - very nice, subtle sent and bags of cushion), I came to the end of my shave, rinsed the blade and dinged it on the underside of the tap...

I have recently found myself asking the question, "Why do I bother?". Very minute chip about 7mm from the tip and another even smaller one about 3mm from the tip. I'm so very frustrated with myself as I've just got to the point where I don't feel like I need to spend any more money - i.e. I have everything I need and more (once the Russian razor arrives).

I will be putting up a post on the 'what ruined your day' thread soon, explaining how everything positive I seem to do/have has a repercussion/negative of sorts. Obviously, some instances of that are far more significant than others but all are frustrating.

*sigh* I best see about getting this one honed too...

Well..Don't Dunk it on the Tap..Some People Don't Use the Sink for that Reason..Some Folks Wipe the Blade on a Towel Instead of in the Water..Everything about SR Shaving Requires the Utmost Focus..:D:D

Billy
Haha I'd call it a slam dunk personally! I'm kidding, it was a minor ding at best! I'm now aware why people won't use the sink for that reason. I think I'll be using a towel once I've had the razor re-honed. o_O Worst bit was, I was entirely focused until I went for the final rinse... The shave went great and everything! Completely baby-smooth with two passes and no irritation of any sort!

I use bog standard bog roll. I pull a few pieces off and wipe my razor on a piece once full I use another then flush it away once finished. If you look on the good side at least it was only a Gold Dollar and not a fancy Nos Japanese that cost a lot more.

I use bog standard bog roll. I pull a few pieces off and wipe my razor on a piece once full I use another then flush it away once finished. If you look on the good side at least it was only a Gold Dollar and not a fancy Nos Japanese that cost a lot more.
I have used a towel previously but didn't on this occasion as I preferred using the running tap. Unfortunately Wayne this wasn't my Gold Dollar today but in face my recently acquired 1908 solingen niazi. It really wasn't expensive in the grand scheme of things but will probably owe me another £15 or so to have it rehoned... Bah!

That's two twp moments within a month to my name... I was really enjoying it today too!

DSC_0525_zpsvyf6eb6a.jpg

I Just Honed @Benz3ne Solingen Niazi 1/2 Hollow..The Minor Chips have Been Honed Out on the 1 K Bevel Stone & Naniwa Super Stone Progression.Its Taken a Very Keen Edge..This SR Wont Need Honed for a Very Long Time if He Avoids Dinging it on the Water Tap..:D

Billy

DSC_0525_zpsvyf6eb6a.jpg

I Just Honed @Benz3ne Solingen Niazi 1/2 Hollow..The Minor Chips have Been Honed Out on the 1 K Bevel Stone & Naniwa Super Stone Progression.Its Taken a Very Keen Edge..This SR Wont Need Honed for a Very Long Time if He Avoids Dinging it on the Water Tap..:D

Billy
Looks grand! It won't be going near the water tap from here on in! :D looking forward to it Billy!

I once accidentally did the same thing to one of my razors on the tap.It was just one of those days when You don't pay attention & suffer the consequences..The edge had a couple of tiny nicks & I felt devastated.Luckily I managed to restore it because I have a finishing hone.It took some time but is as good as new now.;)

@Jack Sales @EdBrice - good recommendations chaps. Unfortunately, it takes an incident like this to realise that taps are truly awful. At least I'm not the only one who's done it, so that makes me feel a bit better :D
Diolch yn fawr - thanks a lot :)
No pal you are definitely not alone.I've only done it the once on a tap.It certainly taught me a lesson haha

Received back my razor back from Fergiebilly and test-drove her today. She has a very keen edge and mows down hairs. I think I was, unfortunately, a bit heavy-handed after having some time away from straight razor shaving as I've a beauteous razor burn on my cheeks and a bit of my neck. Doesn't feel too bad so should settle down by tomorrow and I'll give her another go after the weekend!
All in good time my brothers.

Back
Top Bottom