Homemade soap

MPH

Hi

Just wondering if anyone had tried making their own shaving soap at home? Not loads to sell or anything but just a batch for the hell of it?

Not entirely sure why I started thinking about it, but I just had a look online and it doesn't look like rocket science???

So.... Am I being very nieive? Did yours work out OK or a complete waste of time???

Would be good to hear before I contemplate this any further!

All the best,

Matt

Ah Vinnie not Joe, as always you have a way with words.
I tried making my own soap at home. Not rocket science, but a temperamental beast nonetheless. If you give it a go, let us know how it goes. Great to hear other people's trials and successes in the world of soap.

Dunno really how complicated I would go... Whatever is the simplest probably!

Just figured I sometimes make my own bread and beer, so why not this! This way I can make it smell however I like! I' m thinking the smell of chips.... Instant babe magnet! :)

Well, Darron (Fox) went from that very question to fully fledged production with a global market inside six months, so I guess it's something that can be done with minimal equipment, some starting points and guidance from t'internet, and a bit of flair ...

Forget the scents, initially, and concentrate on refining a working starter soap. You'll fine tune it with what it is YOU like in a soap, so yours might have more slip or foam up less for a thicker mass ... but once you've got the soap that you like to use, understand then how much essential oil you put in to get the scents you're after ... and then you'll have to refine again as these oils will no doubt change the character of your soap.

joe mcclaine said:
Then again I can't even be arsed to make my own pizza, which is about a million times more enjoyable than soap.

Whatever floats your boat! I can just see you smearing a Margarita over your noggin' and attacking it with a Feather :p

Nobody else tried it??? That doesn't bode well!

Just got a few DIY bits to finish first and then I think I'll give it a go later in the year!

If I accomplish anything that doesn't kill me, I'll be back to let you know!

Yeah did think about fight club.... Just need to find a hospital that undertakes liposuction round here!

Just made my first few batches of soap. Been interested for a while and some folks on here mentioned a pre wash with glycerin soap.

Started looking and discovered that hand made soap has glycerin in it naturally. It's extracted from factory soap and sold.

I've made a plain soap with olive oil, coconut oil and tallow and a 100% olive oil soap.

I mixed the offcuts and added bay rum and lime and cinnamon powder. Lovely stuff.

Next up is a shave soap with stearic acid/coconut oil/tallow and no scent.

Ha! Well played, lad!

Back in my car detailing days, I made a number of car waxes. When I picked up traditional shaving as a new and all-engrossing hobby I thought it wouldn't be long before I was making my own soap, but it's not happened (yet). I have made my own Bay Rum, tho' which I must say is pretty good.

pjgh said:
...... I have made my own Bay Rum, tho' which I must say is pretty good.

Ditto. However I'm sick of smelling it and not being able to drink it!!

The next one will have no witch hazel in it. Not sure about the West Indies Bay leaf essential oil. Might need to leave it out.

If the shaving soap goes alright I'll be sure to let you all know:icon_rolleyes:

I considered this and will give it a go in he future. There is a very informative thread on shavemyface, "rolling my own" in the soap section which will give you an insight into the process. Regarding Fox, he had been asking soap for a while before he arrived at TSR. Still, it's not rocket science so good luck!

heres the link

http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51901

I have been looking into making my own soap and seems shaving soap is a bit more complex compared to normal soap. When I pluck up the courage to make my own soap I will definitely let you all know how I get on and may need some people to try it out

Back
Top Bottom