An update on my previous endevour with the Derby blade and Wilkinson Sword soap. I used the same Derby blade again today but with Maca Root cream from The Body Shop. Smoothest shave yet! No nics.

This could be down to both the cream and 2nd use of the blade, or it could be my technique is improving, or for that matter a combination of all. If at first you don't succeed......

Don't discount anything (apart from the wilkinson soap) until you have found your technique. The best (and sometimes worst) part of starting to shave like this is experimenting. I would suggest you stick to the Derby and Body Shop cream for a week or two. If you can repeat a decent shave with it then carry on with using it. There is plenty time to switch things around once you have a decent repeatable technique.

Just ordered the EJ DE89 long as they are currently on offer on their site. £20 delivered!! I couldn't resist lol. I know it's a bit early to buy 2nd razors when you are just starting out, but ever since buying the Merkur I have hankered after the EJ. It just looks the dogs dang........rs.;)

Just ordered the EJ DE89 long as they are currently on offer on their site. £20 delivered!! I couldn't resist lol. I know it's a bit early to buy 2nd razors when you are just starting out, but ever since buying the Merkur I have hankered after the EJ. It just looks the dogs dang........rs.;)

And so it starts. Down the rabbit hole we go!

+1 Body Shop Maca Root shaving cream, it's the whippet's wedding tackle! Sound advice to refine your technique with that and the Derby blades, as long as they're working for you. Some like them (they're ok for me), for others they're barely one step up from shaving with tin can lids. The fun's in finding what works for you.

Regards,
Chris

ifgc8sJs8dj9HiG79
This is a shot of my small collection after just 2 weeks shaving . I am still awaiting the razorock plissoft brush and the ej de89.

Well I have now received my EJ DE89. It came with silver Feather blades. I thought I would just go ahead with that combo and try it out. OMG, did I regret that. The blade must be a really aggressive one because it was the worst shave I have had so far. I can't stop the bleeding from my up lip and when it does, if you so much as grin it splits open again. I am guessing that I should have used something milder, but i thought it was only the yellow feathers that were the ones to avoid. I will have to give my face a break from shaving for a few days until my upper lip heals properly.

Well I have now received my EJ DE89. It came with silver Feather blades. I thought I would just go ahead with that combo and try it out. OMG, did I regret that. The blade must be a really aggressive one because it was the worst shave I have had so far. I can't stop the bleeding from my up lip and when it does, if you so much as grin it splits open again. I am guessing that I should have used something milder, but i thought it was only the yellow feathers that were the ones to avoid. I will have to give my face a break from shaving for a few days until my upper lip heals properly.
Yeah, give yourself a nice rest period. The feathers are (blade wise) the ultimate test of technique! I would hang off them for about a month or until you've got your technique more dialed in. If you ever want to check you're following the no pressure motto, just test it with a feather. Although, they are excellent in a more mild razor. But for now maybe just stick to the derby/astra/wilkinson/personna blades. The yellow and grey feather packs are exactly the same blades, just grey is five blades and 10 is the yellow pack. Hope you come to love the EJ, it's a beautiful razor. Happy healing :)

Thanks for that. Really appreciated ☺. Do you know anything about the Gillette 7 o'clock greens? I thought I would try those next time I shave. My initial experience with the derby was not good either, however the 2nd shave was good.

Thanks for that. Really appreciated ☺. Do you know anything about the Gillette 7 o'clock greens? I thought I would try those next time I shave. My initial experience with the derby was not good either, however the 2nd shave was good.
I believe theres two green packs! See nickshaves review series for reviews of both. But I tried the ones he really liked, the Super Stainless, and got an excellent shave from them first shave. They were very smooth on the skin, whilst cutting easily. My second shave with the same blade I found it equally smooth, but far less sharp. But they felt very good on the face, so I'd recommend them.

I believe theres two green packs! See nickshaves review series for reviews of both. But I tried the ones he really liked, the Super Stainless, and got an excellent shave from them first shave. They were very smooth on the skin, whilst cutting easily. My second shave with the same blade I found it equally smooth, but far less sharp. But they felt very good on the face, so I'd recommend them.

I have been watching nickshaves. That is why I got some samples to try. Thanks for the feedback:)

Back
Top Bottom