Hi from Dorset

Hi all, I recently shaved my beard off and want to shave ‘properly’ Not a fan of the cheese grater cartridges. Theres the expense for one thing plus I’ve already had some very painful ingrown hairs. As a household we’re also trying to be mindful of environmental impacts so recycling a single metal blade rather than chucking a plastic cartridge in the bin also sits well.
This has probably been asked a million times but what would be a good razor to start with?
Cheers

Welcome @Redbandit

You've come to the right place.
We're a helpful, friendly bunch.

A good razor, that lots of people (beginners and seasoned traditional wet shavers use) is the Edwin Jagger DE89. Muhle make an identical razor - Muhle R89.
Regarding blades, there are more brands of blades than you can shake a stick at! . .
Astra SP, Gillette Platinum & Silver Blue are all sharp, and smooth.
Blades are a subjective aspect - what suits me might not suit you (or the next man)

You'll soon get more replies and suggestions.

P

A warm welcome to TSR, Redbandit!

As Paul mentioned above a EJ DE89 or Muhle R89 would be a perfect place to start.
I am curently having the Muhle R89 in rotation and after more than 5 years of DE shaving and more razors than I want to admit, it is an absolute pleasure shaving with it. Does absolutely everything what the much more expensive ones do. A perfect smooth shave.

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions :) I’ve done a bit of reading and have just ordered myself a DE89 and an omega 20102 brush. I’m taking my daughter to the train station in a bit so I’ll nip in town and look for a Palmolive cream. I already have a balm I’m happy with (Bart’s Balm unscented) so I’ll be all set! At what point does the rabbit hole start? :D

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions :) I’ve done a bit of reading and have just ordered myself a DE89 and an omega 20102 brush. I’m taking my daughter to the train station in a bit so I’ll nip in town and look for a Palmolive cream. I already have a balm I’m happy with (Bart’s Balm unscented) so I’ll be all set! At what point does the rabbit hole start? :D
Hello and welcome to TSR.
You have been given very good answers to your question and I'm in agreement with what has already been said. :)

Paul.

Hi there @Redbandit
And
welcome dracula GIF

Oh! And.
alice in wonderland GIF

Bear in mind the Omega boar brush will take tome time to break in, so may feel a bit rough to start with.
@donnie_arko (Shubs) is well versed in the use of boar brushes, and might have some tips that could help accelerate the process?
Synthetic fibre brushes are ready to go from the off - enabling already! . . . . .

Hello and welcome to TSR!
You're already in the rabbit hole you just don't know it yet! :)

Paul.

Hi

Most of the online places do bundles of different blades so you can see what works best for you. Everyone has their own favorites.

If you have a Boots nearby, they may have some..

Give the brush a quick hair wash with shampoo. They don't always smell great at first, but they do work well..

Watch some of the saving videos on YouTube for help with technique, and remember, use No Pressure on the razor - just use the razor's weight

Back
Top Bottom