Hi :) First post - Brush recommendations, please :)

Thank you both @riverrun and @ben139 for your comments and suggestions. :)
I think I will order one of those sample packs from @Lose the beard :) I never even thought about how a certain brand of razor would interact with a certain brand of blade - I just thought that trial and error would tell you which blade to use and you could use it in any razor body.
So much to learn.. :eek:
hahaha yes, I find that a mild blade such as the supermax is excellent in a more aggressive razor, such as the Murker Slant/r41. But I have a milder Superspeed razor which is excellent for feather blades because they are so sharp. I would start off with a generally accepted decent blade such as the astra greens. These are easily sharp enough for a decent shave, but will be nice and smooth so you wont cut yourself to bits. For more blade info, I've been watching nickshaves on youtube who is currently doing a blade review series - he's so far done most of the standard ones, then he reviewed a collection of gillette blades and now I think he's doing the dorco ones. If you've not found him already his videos are well worth a watch, and he also has a beginner series to get people started nicely.

Rottie, a quick search around the site would show that there's a seller on Ebay who gets universal acclaim. He's called unuta77 on Ebay... his store is Balalaika. You'll be a fully established geezer when you've got some stuff from there. For example most people on the shaving forums find these blades are dirt cheap and up there with the well respected blades.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-RAPIR...hash=item2eda13060c:m:mx3ciVWNB8BtTU7LCDmfnnw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pcs-VO...hash=item2eda2a03bf:m:m4puwQMH4909pN-PcesF8RA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pcs-La...hash=item2eda13078b:m:mt8RfSrEEkacIocMJXbAuig

Last edited:
Rottie, a quick search around the site would show that there's a seller on Ebay who gets universal acclaim. He's called unata77 on Ebay... his store is Balalaika. You'll be a fully established geezer when you've got some stuff from there. For example most people on the shaving forums find these blades are dirt cheap and up there with the well respected blades.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-RAPIR...hash=item2eda13060c:m:mx3ciVWNB8BtTU7LCDmfnnw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pcs-VO...hash=item2eda2a03bf:m:m4puwQMH4909pN-PcesF8RA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pcs-La...hash=item2eda13078b:m:mt8RfSrEEkacIocMJXbAuig
I was unaware of this eBay shop, going to have to spend my now snowy Sunday inside looking at this one!

Rottie, a quick search around the site would show that there's a seller on Ebay who gets universal acclaim. He's called unata77 on Ebay... his store is Balalaika. You'll be a fully established geezer when you've got some stuff from there. For example most people on the shaving forums find these blades are dirt cheap and up there with the well respected blades.

Thanks, @DevonStan I've added BM's for those links, although I think I'll explore a sample set, before deciding which blade ultimately suits me and the 65R the best. :)

+1 on unuta77 (not unata77 btw)- prices have increased over the last year or so, but his Voskhod blades are worth getting for a song.. I got 100 for six quid delivered last year. Happy times..
He does Russian samplers as well. Highly recommend.

Hi @Rottie, welcome to the group! You'll find lots of great folks with useful information here. Regarding your request for brush recommendations, my husband shaves his head and face several times a week - he uses (and likes) the Perfecto 100% Pure Badger Brush...it's slightly below the price range you mentioned and I posted a review about it recently here:
http://theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/perfecto-badger-shaving-brush.35407/

I hope this helps - there are tons of types and brands of brushes out there, it's just a matter of finding the right one for you. Good luck!

Another update
I've been prepping my skin since yesterday, with Nivea sensitive moisturiser, applying a couple of dabs, last night and again throughout the day today, so I decided this afternoon, to go into my local shopping centre and pick up a few bits n bobs. ;)

The initial idea was to get a new brush and come home, but you know how things are and I ended up getting a Body shop shaving brush, a pack of Boots own brand blades and some Nivea post shave balm, plus a couple of sample phials of Tea tree oil. :)

When I got home, I decided to give the 65R another outing; my skin seems to have settled well, with the moisturiser I had been using since the first outing, yesterday, so I was confident. :)

I soaked the brush for about 10 minutes in clean, hot water and added a couple of drops of Tea tree oil to my Nivea Sensitive shaving cream and worked a decent lather with very little fuss.
The lather went on to my face really well, not too thick, but not too thin and the brush was really nice to use; none of the scratchiness that I had when I used the Wilkinson Sword brush, yesterday, so thank you to @ben139 for recommending that to me. :)

The 65R again gave me a nice, even shave again. Admittedly not as close as I got yesterday, as I only went 2 passes today, as I felt that was enough without making my face sore.
One thing that I am starting to notice is the blades that I'm using (Derby extras) seem a little on the "tuggy" side and I went a little easier with the body, pressure-wise, so perhaps this is why I didn't get a consistently even shave?

After I had finished the second pass, I noticed one small nick that I hadn't even felt. :) So I rinsed off and gave my whole face the once-over with an Alum block, before rinsing again, then patted my face dry with a towel and applying some Nivea post shave balm. :)

Overall, for my second DE shave in over 25 years, I'd say that it was a successful shave. :) I really am starting to like this 65R. :)

I was advised a few years back to start with this:
Progress Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Mixed Badger and Boar Bristle Shaving Brush

Great starter brush with a lovely handle. Around £13.

Rottie,
Welcome to TSR.

+1 Nishy's comments above, I can thoroughly recommend the Vulfix 404 Grosvenor. It was my first brush and is still going strong, although shedding a few bristles now and again. I hear it's the same knot used in brushes made by Vulfix for some other big name companies, sold at higher prices. There's a bewildering choice but Semogue and Omega brushes are always well reviewed and there's plenty of good advice here.

Regards,
Chris

Another update
I've been prepping my skin since yesterday, with Nivea sensitive moisturiser, applying a couple of dabs, last night and again throughout the day today, so I decided this afternoon, to go into my local shopping centre and pick up a few bits n bobs. ;)

The initial idea was to get a new brush and come home, but you know how things are and I ended up getting a Body shop shaving brush, a pack of Boots own brand blades and some Nivea post shave balm, plus a couple of sample phials of Tea tree oil. :)

When I got home, I decided to give the 65R another outing; my skin seems to have settled well, with the moisturiser I had been using since the first outing, yesterday, so I was confident. :)

I soaked the brush for about 10 minutes in clean, hot water and added a couple of drops of Tea tree oil to my Nivea Sensitive shaving cream and worked a decent lather with very little fuss.
The lather went on to my face really well, not too thick, but not too thin and the brush was really nice to use; none of the scratchiness that I had when I used the Wilkinson Sword brush, yesterday, so thank you to @ben139 for recommending that to me. :)

The 65R again gave me a nice, even shave again. Admittedly not as close as I got yesterday, as I only went 2 passes today, as I felt that was enough without making my face sore.
One thing that I am starting to notice is the blades that I'm using (Derby extras) seem a little on the "tuggy" side and I went a little easier with the body, pressure-wise, so perhaps this is why I didn't get a consistently even shave?

After I had finished the second pass, I noticed one small nick that I hadn't even felt. :) So I rinsed off and gave my whole face the once-over with an Alum block, before rinsing again, then patted my face dry with a towel and applying some Nivea post shave balm. :)

Overall, for my second DE shave in over 25 years, I'd say that it was a successful shave. :) I really am starting to like this 65R. :)
Hi Rottie. A few comments:
The Body Shop brush is a synthetic brush and doesn't need soaking.
Don't go "a little easier, pressure-wise" go a lot, lot easier. Actually - use no pressure. None.
Derby blades are crap. Get a sampler.
Enjoy your shaves.

Andreas

Rottie,
Welcome to TSR.

+1 Nishy's comments above, I can thoroughly recommend the Vulfix 404 Grosvenor. It was my first brush and is still going strong, although shedding a few bristles now and again. I hear it's the same knot used in brushes made by Vulfix for some other big name companies, sold at higher prices. There's a bewildering choice but Semogue and Omega brushes are always well reviewed and there's plenty of good advice here.

Regards,
Chris
Thanks for your comments, @chrisbd :) I have just purchased a Body Shop shaving brush earlier today, so I think, for now, at least, I'm going to stop looking for alternatives. I have looked at Omegas and Semogues recently and have a few saved in my ebay "watch" list, for future reference. :)

Hi Rottie. A few comments:
The Body Shop brush is a synthetic brush and doesn't need soaking.
Don't go "a little easier, pressure-wise" go a lot, lot easier. Actually - use no pressure. None.
Derby blades are crap. Get a sampler.
Enjoy your shaves.

Andreas
Thanks for your comments, @riverrun :) All feedback, whether critcal or otherwise is always welcomed and appreciated by me, as we're all here to learn from each other. :)
No pressure is something I've always struggled with, even when I started using a DE razor, in my mid and late teens. I've always had a "light" touch, when it comes to shaving, but as yet have never been able to achieve that elusive (for me, at least) zero resistance stroke. :(
WRT samples; they're on the to-do list, but for now at least, I have the Boots own-brands as backups, if I feel the Derbys aren't doing the job. :)
I realise the Body Shop brush is synthetic and as such doesn't need to be soaked before use, but I did this mostly to clean the brush, as it was just sitting on the shelf in the shop with no outer packaging. Better safe than sorry. :)

Back
Top Bottom