Hi all

Hi everybody

Been reading this site for a bit now so thought I'd say hello. I've been DE shaving for around 2 an a bit years now and with a shavettte on and off for just under a year. I resented :mad: either paying through the nose for replacement cartridges or get a really crappy shave with a cheap throwaway and the cartridges gave me razor burn as well, till I came across some double edge blades at the supermarket an realised how cheap they were in comparison an came across article about traditional wet shaving on the net. :idea:

I would love to shave with a proper straight but at present theres no way I can justify the expense for something that I could so easily damage and I won't have time to use most mornings before work.

Current gear
Razors: Wilkinson sword classic, Boots DE razor, cheapo no name shavette (great shaver though).
Blades: Wilkinson Sword, Treet (carbon steel) and Boots own brand DE blades.
Brushes: Edwin Jagger Best Badger, Wilkinson bristle, body shop synthetic
Cream: TOBS The Shaving Shop
A/S Balm: Boots Botanics A/S Balm

Hi Bilbo, welcome to the Room. :)

I expect we'll be able to nag you into getting a conventional cut throat razor sooner or later, and having served some time with a Shavette you'll probably find it a breeze to use.

The only trouble with buying straights is that it tends to be hobbit-forming. :icon_rolleyes:

Arrowhead said:
Hi Bilbo, welcome to the Room. :)

I expect we'll be able to nag you into getting a conventional cut throat razor sooner or later, and having served some time with a Shavette you'll probably find it a breeze to use.

The only trouble with buying straights is that it tends to be hobbit-forming. :icon_rolleyes:

Lol! Like I said I would love to get a proper straight but I am worried about something that cost me £50+ getting rusty, dulling it while learning to strop and I don't think I'll have time to strop it most mornings if I'm on an early shift making it a somewhat expensive luxury. Pity, or I could get job with more sensible hours!

Welcome . 'We are plain quiet folk that have no use for adventure.' or ' nasty disturbing uncomfortable things' such as razors! But welcome anyway!

Welcome. I've been at it for about a year now. For the same reasons mostly, the requirement of daily shaving came from my wife. We came to a compromise and daily shaving it was. Spent 70quid on an electric razor which just left me looking rather red. The Mach3 and Fusion blades didn't seem to last that long, so I said it would cost way too much. I then realied that if I was to do this daily shaving lark it would have to be with a cheap to replace razor, which was when I noticed these DE things in the shops. So I got a wilkinson sword classic £5 job. Wasn't that bad. Then something else from Amazon which wasn't a bad price, came with 100 derby blades, a brush and some cream too.. all less than 20quid.

A while later I tried a shavette, since I wanted something closer. My word, it left me in a state.

Then my not-bad value thing from Amazon broke so I got a cheap stop-gap from boots for less than 5quid. That was the first time I noticed an aggressive razor, I still have a scar near my right ear.

Eventually I gave in and let my wife get me an early anniversary present which is a really nice Blue Beards DE. It's worth it's weight in gold to me. Thoroughly nice.

I got a straight too somewhere along the line, but given the above problems with the aggressive boots razor and the shavette I've just left it on the shelf. For some reason when I did get it I hardly nicked myself, but I just didn't seem to get that close.

Welcome to TSR Bilbo :)

You can often get a half decent straight for a lot less than £50 - especially on here - keep an eye on the BST section - they crop up from time to time.

Enjoy your stay!

Hi Bilbo. I'm surprised that you've not yet considered more of a quality heavyweight DE razor to replace the Boots / WS, something like a Merkur. It might calm that aquisition itch without having to go down the straight route just yet. After all, the rest of your kit is nice stuff.
Besides, you can then use it every morning pre work with no problems.

Welcome to TSR. :)

Canuck said:
Hi Bilbo. I'm surprised that you've not yet considered more of a quality heavyweight DE razor to replace the Boots / WS, something like a Merkur. It might calm that aquisition itch without having to go down the straight route just yet. After all, the rest of your kit is nice stuff.
Besides, you can then use it every morning pre work with no problems.

Welcome to TSR. :)

Been thinking about a new DE really like the look of the Merkur 42 1904 but jus wondering why it so much cheaper than their other razors.

Back
Top Bottom