Hestons Hidden Orange Christmas Pud !!!!

I made an apple bread and butter pudding with the last of the panetone the other day, no bread or butter but a real cream and vanilla custard. A sort of apple charlotte but nicer, it was the business even though I don't have a sweet tooth.

antdad said:
I made an apple bread and butter pudding with the last of the panetone the other day, no bread or butter but a real cream and vanilla custard. A sort of apple charlotte but nicer, it was the business even though I don't have a sweet tooth.

That sounds absolutely divine, can you PIF me some Tony.

Jamie.

Easiest thing in the world Jamie...

Panetone, custard, apples, butter, brown sugar.

Slightly precook the peeled sliced apples in a bit of butter.

Layer it up with the panetone, (diagonally upright instead of horizontally so it doesn't compact)

Pour in custard (could use a decent bought one) leaving plenty of protruding corners so it browns up nicely.

Liberally sprinkle sugar and bake for 20 - 30 mins or so, I usually finish by grilling so the sugar caramelises without overcooking.

Trick is not to over bake it so it sets solid, if you using a pre bought custard thin it with milk if its too thick.

antdad said:
Easiest thing in the world Jamie...

Panetone, custard, apples, butter, brown sugar.

Slightly precook the peeled sliced apples in a bit of butter.

Layer it up with the panetone, (diagonally upright instead of horizontally so it doesn't compact)

Pour in custard (could use a decent bought one) leaving plenty of protruding corners so it browns up nicely.

Liberally sprinkle sugar and bake for 20 - 30 mins or so, I usually finish by grilling so the sugar caramelises without overcooking.

Trick is not to over bake it so it sets solid, if you using a pre bought custard thin it with milk if its too thick.
This also works very well with Brioche sprinkle the Brioche with a small amount of Gran Marnia or other alcohol

Back
Top Bottom