Henckels in Acrylic

I've been meaning to try making scales in acrylic for some time but didn't have the right materials until this week when I bought some from a company that deals in point of display products. This 5/8" Henckels was in pretty poor condition but has come up well with just a few areas of pitting on the back of the blade. A fantastic edge feels as if it will shave well.

The wedge is fluorescent and adds a bit of fun - I'm quite pleased with the way the whole thing turned out although acrylic is not as easy to work with as I assumed.

As usual, comments welcomed.

IMG_1017_zps277fddc5.jpg

IMG_1016_zps6bcee2ab.jpg

IMG_1014_zps4b3b6e7c.jpg

IMG_1012_zps2609d5a6.jpg

IMG_1011_zpsf1a2cf74.jpg

Acrylic is a PITA to work with, it crack's when you are cutting it. It scratches easily & then it starts melting :)
I dont think I will be going down the acrylic avenue again.

You done well there Rob, thats a nice blade in smoking acrylic with a bogey at the end:D
I bet that will shave nice!

jaycey said:
Acrylic is a PITA to work with, it crack's when you are cutting it. It scratches easily & then it starts melting :)
I dont think I will be going down the acrylic avenue again.

You done well there Rob, thats a nice blade in smoking acrylic with a bogey at the end:D
I bet that will shave nice!

I guess the best would be using LEXAN, its quite similar but much stronger and easy to work with.

Lexan is the material used to make the antiriot shields racing car windshields and other aplicatios where the strenght of the material is paramount.

Anyway, I like a lot the result, very "groovy" :D

When I mentioned that acrylic is not as easy to work with - I was referring to the fact that it's harder than, say, horn in terms of sanding etc., but a lot easier than some hardwood I've used, particularly ebony.

Tony, in terms of the tendency to fracture when cutting, I found that leaving the film of coating on during this stage helps. In fact I left the film on the inside edges during the shaping and sanding which avoided the possibility of scratches. By the way, I didn't find it that susceptible to scratching - maybe there are different qualities available.

I bought a few different colours so will be trying different combinations in the future.

Back
Top Bottom