Help with energy saver bulb

The light in my en suite died the other day and I took the bulb (it's a "B" shape compact fluorescent) to a local independent lighting shop to ensure I got the right replacement.

"Do I need to do anything special to get it to work?" I asked.
"No, just give it a wiggle when you put it in."

I have put it in - wiggle aplomb - and it doesn't come on. Same result whether or not the protective plastic cover is over it or not.

I have checked it didn't trip the switch and it didn't so shouldn't it just work?

Any ideas?

Below are photos of the one that died and the replacement looks to be the same and certainly fits.

DSC00196_zps3pdyaokn.jpg

DSC00198_zpsjc7gzlts.jpg

DSC00199_zpsc8lnpsh7.jpg

I'm sure I'm missing something simple but if it wasn't for the mercury gas in the bulb I'd have thrown it out the window by now

Is the starter built into those things or is there a separate starter in the fitting. If it's separate, sounds like you need a new starter - cylindrical thing, two peg pins sticking out.

Thanks Bechet and Antdad.

There is a white bit into which the four pins go. Would that be a starter?

If it's gone do I need an electrician as there is a plate with screws which it seems to be fixed stubbornly into.

DSC00201_zpszi2kjqk2.jpg

No, the four pins sockets are for the lamp.

It looks like it probably has electronic control gear in which case you can't fix it and you'll have to replace the whole fitting. To be sure loosen the plate screws and see what type of control gear is attached behind it.

NotTheStig said:
Thanks Bechet and Antdad.

There is a white bit into which the four pins go. Would that be a starter?

If it's gone do I need an electrician as there is a plate with screws which it seems to be fixed stubbornly into.

DSC00201_zpszi2kjqk2.jpg

You see the plate has 3 screws with holes the size of the screw heads right beside?

Loosen these (just loosen don't take all the way out)

Turn the plate and it will drop down. You are either going to have a ballast and starter or a all in jobbie. More than likely you will have a starter shaped liked antdad said and this is your problem. If it's a all in one cheapest choice is just a new fitting

Bar the heavy metals it's quite an efficient way of getting high lighting output from 28w tbf and the lamps usually last along time.

This is what it looks like...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2D-28W-High-Frequency-Universal-Gear-Tray-Replacement-4-Pin-Brand-New-HF-Ballast-/161490801404?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25999a12fc

If you can get that filling working I'd leave it but if you have to replace it then since its 28W the energy savings might not be great but you can get a better light colour. As its an ensuite you could get one balanced for natural light and it won't be so harsh on the eyes in the middle of the night or when shaving.

I just swapped out 18 x50W GU20 in my kitchen for good LEDs. Had to try a few different ones to get the right colour temp but now they are all done its costs me the equivalent of two of the old bulbs to run 18 LEDs and it is nicer for sitting eating a family meal. Getting the lighting right for an area does make a huge difference.

I'm sure Audio nearly boiled under nearly 1000w of GU20's so the LED swap out makes sense. I'd probably still replace like for like...a 28W 2D puts out about 150W which I find particularly useful in the kitchen, an LED equivalent is fairly costly by comparison and not sure the run time in an ensuite would really justify it.

Back
Top Bottom