Help with choicer

Perhaps the budgetary constraints are intended to stop someone trying out DEs from spending too much money early on should they decide they don't like it, although you could argue it's better spend a bit more to get a good first experience (but good doesn't always equal expensive). The EJ does come up a lot on here and it is well built and well priced but not for everyone (I always found it a little draggy). I prefer the vintage route myself so would recommend a Tech. Well made (except the really cheap plastic handle travel set ones), simple, plentiful, cheap, mild yet effective. I am intrigued by the Fatip but it's not on my monkey radar at the moment.

Now anyone that knows me will be aware that I love both my FT and HD Rockets, but I usually shy away from recommending them to newbies as I doubt they'd want something that either needed to be cleaned and possibly sanitised or that looked a bit "tired" with possible plate thinning or loss, water marks, brassing etc. I would agree that they are probably better shavers (slightly) than the EJ (and, if you told me I had to sell either my DE89l or Rocket HD, it would be the EJ that would go), but the fit and finish, plus their ready availability means that I see them as being a better option. I also often recommend the Merkur 34c, with the caveat that it can be a bit less forgiving of newbie mistakes, though the benefit of that extra bite is that it does get your technique up to scratch more quickly.

Canuck said:
Helveticum: I appreciate everyone's different and I like your individuality but I'm picking up just a hint of mocking, do you maybe see the group love for a Jagger DE as a sort of sheep mentality? I honestly think this just a good solid razor, the fact that a lot of guys here like it doesn't surprise me.

What's up the Canuck,

I was sorta kidding him about his diplomacy. I think he was actually trying to be low key in this thread. Heh, sometimes the description is a little different.

Neither one of us understand the DE89 head. It's just the way things go. I know they're extremely popular, and I see lots and lots of good reviews about the shave. I could recommend em to a new shaver, but only from others opinions. There's better razors out there, at least for me. Maybe that's what Helveticum was thinking too.

Martin

No, I view it as patronising - assuming newbies have neither money nor ability to handle (or even find) anything else.

I don't think I ever claimed that did I? You're making it up as you go along.

I think "newbies" as you say (I'm not so patronisining to ever use the phrase by the way, that word was your choice), can use what the hell they want. They can spend £120 on a Feather DE if they want. They can use an R41, whatever.
All I say is that as a man begins on his DE journey he can do little worse at 20 quid than a Jagger. I'm not sure I'd have liked a R41 at say, 3 weeks in so £30 spent on one of those at that point, might well have been wasted.

You can do recommendations of old, not made anymore, inconsistent razors all you like, I think there might even be some merit, I don't know as I wouldn't own one any longer, but if anyone is being patronising, it's you with the word "newbie".

Back
Top Bottom