Help me decide please ...

Personally out of those two I'd go with the Progress as the Feather would be too mild for me. Parker have also started making a new adjustable which is worth looking at if you like the Progress.

Parker Variant been getting good reviews. Think of that instead of the Progress. Most folks have said that the Feather is on the mild side and so if you are wanting a mild razor, get that. If you are not sure if you prefer a mild, mid, or aggressive razor, go with the Variant and try out the different settings.

The funny thing is that I have had both in the past (not the long handle version though). :confused:

Thanks for the input, I think I'll get the Progress and then if I'm not satisfied get the Feather. Who said buy them both? :rolleyes::D

Parker Variant been getting good reviews. Think of that instead of the Progress. Most folks have said that the Feather is on the mild side and so if you are wanting a mild razor, get that. If you are not sure if you prefer a mild, mid, or aggressive razor, go with the Variant and try out the different settings.

I just had a look at the Parker and it seems quite interesting, although of course it is out of stock and not available in GB yet (I think).

For me, I might go for the Progress but honestly, I wouldn't buy neither. It's just my opinion but I think there are better options out there like the Parker variant, or the Rockwell 6s. I also liked the Blackbird and Timeless is also interesting. The Feather is far down now on my list.

I am soon to buy a new razor and need some input. It's between a Merkur Progress long handle and the Feather AS-D2 (money is not a problem). Pros and cons and no saying buy both please!

Chris.
I actually have have both razors. I'm a big fan of adjustables as I can dial them up and down to properly shave trouble/sensitive areas, and I can extremely adjust for multiple days growth or if I'm shaving too soon after a "rough" shave and still have some sensitivity. Having said that, the AS-D2 is an excellent shaver and IMO is better quality. It does deliver a nice smooth, though milder shave. If I had to choose to keep only one, it would be the Feather.

I hope you find this helpful.

Ward

If I still had my Feather AS D2 I would have lent it to you so you could make a more informed decision, but alas it had to go. Sorry, maybe someone will offer you the chance to try before you buy.

The review I read on Amazon for the Feather made a lot of sense to me in that ultimately using a mild razor is more a question of learning the correct technique for it and an agressive razor is easier to get results with - but with the potential for bloodshed. Once the technique is bedded into muscle memory (in the same way as using a straight) a 'mild' razor will cut anything just as well as an easier to use aggressive one.

In addition to this when thinking over the Merkur I am picturing selling it on ebay ... which (clearly) tells me I want the Feather! o_O:)

As to the Timeless and Blackbird razors, I find their design overly fussy - my opinion only of course. ;)

Thanks for your words of wisdom. :D

I think you should try the following items
Gillette flare tip, standard
Gillette Travel Tech, ie 1966

both cut through stubble like no ones business. the flare tip may be more your alley as it has a bit more blade gap. But the travel tech I have with a cheapo Wilkinson sword cuts like a fat boy on 5, but is smooth and gentle as a super adjustable on 2.

Thanks Bezoar for your input. :) I have had vintage razors but now really prefer new as I just about stopped myself from starting to collect ...

By the way, I do like your avatar!

Once the technique is bedded into muscle memory (in the same way as using a straight) a 'mild' razor will cut anything just as well as an easier to use aggressive one.

If there is only so much blade exposure the technique wont help getting closer. With a 34C i.e. i did never get a really close shave result (had tonuse a shimmie), but with an R41 I can also get a smooth shave (there the technique indeed helps).

The Progress is a fantastic razor that delivers smooth shaves, and gives you the option to choose the closeness/aggressivness you prefer.

Actually if it were for practical reasons, I could very well live with a progress as my one and only razor. Mine has a slight asymetrical blade exposure, so I even have a mild and a more aggressive side (most progress are a bit uneven, that is due to the lever mechanism).

That has the advantage of two settings in one [emoji1]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom