Help choosing Simpsons Berkeley 46, Duke 1 or Duke 2...

Dan

Hi everyone,

Firstly let me say what a great forum you seem to have here. I have been lurking for a little while and browsing through the numerous sections.

The reason I am posting is because I am a little indecisive about my next brush purchase. I am not a brush collector but have a few I have been using since I started using a DE a couple of years ago.

My brushes are -

Frank shaving finest (22mm 48mm loft)
Semogue 610 boar (unsure of dimensions)
New Forest 2211 (22mm 48 loft I believe?)

I only ever face lather and never bowl lather. I use both soaps and creams but I think I get better results from soaps such as Tabac and Palmolive.

I was wondering which simpsons brush you may suggest for my tastes. I was thinking of a smaller size brush as I have tried a 24mm 55mm loft Lijun silvertip but really did not like it much as it was too floppy.

The brushes I have been looking at are Simpsons Berkeley 46, Duke 1 or Duke 2. I just REALLY fancy a simpsons brush. I find them really appealing.

I hope this isn't too specific for a first post.

Many thanks for reading,
Dan.

Dan I have a Duke 2 in silvertip. I think it is a very good brush and you can get it for under £80 in best badger hair. Simpson best badger is as good as other manufactures silver tip. I would opt for the duke 2 in best. Hope it helps

Guys thanks for all your replies. I think i am going to order a Duke 2 in best very soon. I think it will be the perfect size for me as i do not really like big brushes and i only face lather :)

And now a predictable bit from me. Just out of curiosity, I'd encourage you to obtain a Muehle synthetic silvertip at some point in time - it will cost you around (or under, depending on a size) 30 quid, and there simply is no better brush for face lathering in my experience, performance wise. I'd had Duke II and many other brushes in the past, and have finally settled on synthetics. You can always sell it on without too much hassle if it's not for you. But if it is, lathering will never be the same again :)

Simpsons website prices are ex VAT... you need to go to the checkout before you realize what you're really letting yourself in for.

I haven't bought from them... I was about to pull the trigger on a limited edition until the 20 odd percent tax took me by surprise :)

jb74 said:
Simpsons website prices are ex VAT... you need to go to the checkout before you realize what you're really letting yourself in for.

I haven't bought from them... I was about to pull the trigger on a limited edition until the 20 odd percent tax took me by surprise :)

Yikes! Thanks for pointing that out. That's very cheeky if you ask me...!

Helveticum said:
And now a predictable bit from me. Just out of curiosity, I'd encourage you to obtain a Muehle synthetic silvertip at some point in time - it will cost you around (or under, depending on a size) 30 quid, and there simply is no better brush for face lathering in my experience, performance wise. I'd had Duke II and many other brushes in the past, and have finally settled on synthetics. You can always sell it on without too much hassle if it's not for you. But if it is, lathering will never be the same again :)

No more predictable than I with my Ingrams fixation! Which is your favourite size of knot in the MÜHLE synth, H?

rum said:
Yikes! Thanks for pointing that out. That's very cheeky if you ask me...!

It's a killer... I was all excited thinking that the prices were pretty reasonable for a limited edition Duke... got to the checkout and my bubble was well and truly burst right there and then.

I've bought all my Simpsons brushes from Executive Shaving using whatever discount codes were available at the time.

Back
Top Bottom