Hello!

Hi all,

I started DE shaving on 9th Feb this year and have only just come across this board. I initially joined the Badger and Blade forum, and here is my initial post there:

----
I've been reading the forums for a little while and have just bought my first DE razor (Edwin Jagger D89 following recommendations here and elsewhere.) I've also picked up some proraso pre-shave cream and shaving cream (again following advice here!)

I've got a Rose & Co. badger brush that I've had for years (I now realise I've been abusing it for years) but it still does the trick, broken hairs and all. Up to now I've been shaving with Trufitt and Hall ultimate comfort shave cream (when time permits) and making use of Clinique Aloe Shave Gel when it doesn't (and my dirty little secret is that I think it's pretty reasonable.) Post-shave, it's been whatever is on offer at Boots at the time of purchase, but Clinique Post Shave Healer is my favourite expensive cream. I also love Aqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere Aftershave Lotion, which is wonderful stuff but sadly triggers my allergies and leaves me congested and sneezing. At £40 a bottle, this is a big disappointment.

Anyway, time for a new start and so had my first shave this morning and have thrown away all the good advice available here and gone all out for a multiple pass smooth as I can shave (rather than a more sensible with the grain only approach.) I used the Proraso (both of them) and was impressed with the lather and smoothness but not so much the scent - I was hoping for a Noxzema Menthol style kick in the pants and this is much milder, but also with an undertone I can only describe as odd (to my nose.) Perhaps it will grow on me and, given it doesn't linger, isn't a major issue.

Fortunately, I managed to avoid any significant nicks (although I have a few areas of my face where the skin is prone to bleeding without actually being cut) and am mostly pleased with the results. The shave is absolutely as close as my Gillette Proglide multiblade, and better on my top lip as I can actually get near the nose!!

I followed up with Alum block and then used Bluebeard's Revenge balm. The balm felt nice going on, but the effects seemed a bit short lived. I think I scraped too much during the shave as my face is now feeling quite sore and dried out. Am just about to borrow some moisturiser from one of the girls in the office, so hopefully that will sort things!

Anyway - great first experience, really enjoyed the shave and was surprised at how easy it all was. In my mind it was going to be much trickier than it turned out to be. I'm now looking forwards to improving my technique and heading over to a department store to sniff a few creams / lotions!
----

So that was then, this is now and the first thing to say is that I now love the Proraso and wouldn't be without it. I think I'm running through the Pre Shave treatment far to quickly, but it is fantastic and really reduces razor burn on the odd occasion that I overdo it!

I've learnt that I can get a great shave on my face now and am really happy with my technique there, but I am compromising on my neck. I still haven't found the best way to shave my particular hair growth pattern and it seems easier (and more comfortable) to accept that the shave isn't going to be too close and not try more than three passes. I'm sure time will help, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I had a day off after the first over-exertion but since then I have shaved every single day (and enjoyed it every day.) I have never been able to do this in my 20-odd years of shaving and it's a revelation! Fantastic :)

The other thing I've noticed is that this hobby is addictive! Although I spent £45 on my initial set up, I've been picking up various odds and sods as I trawl the local pharmacies (oh and a smashing shaving bowl from a charity shop.) So far, I've bought a few additional shaving soaps / creams and I've also picked up a Kent BK2 brush on eBay (it seemed too cheap to let pass - less than £25 including postage) that I am very happy with. I'm also waiting for delivery of a 'vintage' leather shaving travel kit, which at less than a fiver seemed worth a gamble.

Anyway, I'm looking forwards to chatting with you all on the site - I was particularly looking for a site that had a bit more UK-based info and this seems to fit the bill nicely. I've already found out where to buy Thayers Witch Hazel in the UK thanks to a helpful post and I'm sure it will be the first of many helpful tips!

All the best
Stu

The only soaps I've used so far are a Palmolive stick (which is nice, but hardly hard) and a Neal's Yard puck I've had for years. It does lather up OK, but so far doesn't match the palmolive. What soaps are you thinking of?

jimbob19 said:
So it was you that bid against me on the leather travel kit !!! ;)

It could well have been - I've certainly won one in the last few days :) I've always had a thing for travel kits, since I was about 11 and an auntie bought me one from M&S, complete with nail clippers, comb, aftershave, bodysplash and talc! (I applied these with the usual restraint of an 11 year old.) A new type of razor obviously necessitated the acquisition of something new to carry it in!

hunnymonster said:
Mythbusting moment - no you don't need a brush with more backbone... you might find it easier with one, but the best brush in the world won't produce perfect lather if the operator isn't up to the task.

I have to say, although I'm new to DE shaving, I've had my (old) brush for donkey's years and it's a bit scratchier than the BK2 and whips up a decent lather in most cases. That said, I really have mostly stuck to creams as I'm in a hard water area and it's always seemed easiest.

Back
Top Bottom