hello from london!

...although originally from hampshire.

two weeks ago, i was standing in the boots on bethnal green road looking for a new razor and the price of everything just made me angry. went home to consider options. a couple of days ago i bought a dovo shavette and 100 derby blades and, using the dregs of an old can of noxzema menthol, inflicted about half a dozen wounds on my face. my next moves were a styptic pencil, an alum block and a look around your forum for advice. so much to learn!

other than that, i'm a teacher. i like weird films; all sorts of music; thought-provoking books; daydreaming in the bath; walking; polish beer. all to the amusement and dismay, in varying ratios, of my loving wife.

Welcome.

I too am from London, well north.

You are brave going straight for the straight. Once you get the brush and shave cream or soap things really take off. The worse thing seems to be, many get into this old style shaving to save money, only to spend more on all the different creams and brushes.

thanks for the welcome, natjag.

You are brave going straight for the straight

probably foolish, but i'm a sucker for that noirish glamour.

many get into this old style shaving to save money, only to spend more on all the different creams and brushes

yes, having had a look around, i can see that danger. but these last few years i've been running out of ideas for what to put on my christmas list, so maybe a blessing in disguise.

what i can't stand is that feeling gillette or whoever was giving me that i was being robbed blind for some silly little plastic things. i guess that is common sentiment round here, which is a big reason i registered.

anyway, nice to meet you!

Hello, welcome from another Londoner.

i'm a sucker for that noirish glamour.

Yeah it's understandable, but there's still a certain glamour in an old fashioned double edge razor, it'll save you chopping your face up so much! People will still think you're incredibly manly. :lol:

There's a London meet up coming up soon if you fancy a chat with other razor enthusiasts.

Welcome aboard! As a fellow new boy (and teacher) I can testify to just how friendly and helpful and welcoming they are here :).

I hope you'll post regularly and in detail about your adventures with the Shavette - be a shave of the day regular! My original half-plan was a few months with DE then to a Shavette, but I've been half put off by people saying that for a novice straight-shaver they're a short cut to many short cuts, as it were. You are braver than me and I want to see what happens :lol:.

Welcome to the forum! :D

I think the first item on the Christmas list should be a conventional cut throat razor. And a strop. Oh, and some decent soap ... and a brush. Believe me, it'll make life easier.

Weird films and thought provoking books, eh? Sounds good, care to expand?

wow, friendly welcome. cheers guys.

#dr rick. i'm taking a couple of days off to allow the visage to heal, but i'll keep you updated.

#canuck, london meet up sounds intriguing. i'll watch for announcements.

#arrowhead. i bought a brush on ebay yesterday. a vulfix pure badger hair 660 (medium), for which i paid a tenner. about 20 minutes after paypaling the money, i read a post on this forum saying the bush was no good. que sera sera.
and as for weird films, books, music etc, definitely. that place where pretentious arthouse and gory exploitation meet, that's where i like to be. especially now it's half term. check out this trailer for recent french art house/exploitation chiller 'amer', with a straight razor cameo. can't imagine a gillette fusion working so well!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaEKIgHr1_0[/youtube]

Hi & very welcome Moreau. What to do next ? Easy really, ditch the Derbys & consider moving onto a straight. Not many of us seem to have had too much success with the shavettes (there are of course exceptions) and for me the technique was more difficult than a conventional straight and wasn't really similar enough to be of any gr8 help when I moved on. If you persevere with the Dovo the only hint I'd suggest would be to make sure that you keep the blade at a low angle to the skin. For some reason I always seemed to have a tendency to allow the rear of the blade to rise until I was inflicting damage with a blade about right angle3s to my face.

Other than that enjoy the ride M8.

JohnnyO. \ :D

Hello moreau, welcome to TSR. It may be best to go for a DE razor and really get the technique nailed down before going for a proper straight razor. That is what I'm doing. Probably..........

Back
Top Bottom