Hello from another newbie!

Hi all,

Thought I would introduce myself.
I have been wet shaving for several years but got fed up with the quality of the shave, the cost and to be honest didn't enjoy the morning chore so decided to try DE just after Christmas.
Started with a Boots own brand with Tesco shave stick and my old boar brush. Watched several of the You tube clips and practised and enjoyed so just upgraded to a 34c and Badger brush and seem to be getting better.

Only found this forum a couple of days ago and wish I had found earlier as there is so much info here.

Now looking to try various blades and soaps and improve my technique. Seems that a lot of you guys like the soaps, are there benefits over the shaving stick?

Cheers,
Geoff

Hi and welcome to TSR Geoff! :D

As for the shaving stick vs soap, here's my take (more valued opinions are out there/here): stick can be as good or the same as sticks (prob same formula as in the soaps from the same brand), but you prob get better control and more soap in the brush, when loading from a puck. You also get even more control if lather in a bowl - better control often = more stable lather (and more in volume).

Welcome!on the stick/soap thing I really only use sticks when travelling,dont know why I never use them at home.same with my travel Jagger....hmmmm I see a travel style shave this morning.

Welcome aboard.

Personally on the stick / soap issue: I find it easier to load the brush from a traditional soap. Which gives me a better lather. However I always use old travel kits when out on the road so sticks are my favoured option then.

Welcome to TSR

I stuff palmolive soap sticks into a small bowl - flatten out and use as a normal soap. That way, you get to use incredibly cheap high quality soap. Get some soaps, creams and any old bowl and try sticks, face lathering and bowl lathering. Practice and you will find what you prefer. Each method and product has its fans here. You don't need to spend a lot to start with. There are some fine soaps and creams that are inexpensive.

Enjoy what's to come!

Hello and welcome Geoff.
Sticks are fine and I do use them but for me, a rich warm lather in a bowl from a good soap or cream takes my morning shave to the next level.:icon_razz:
regards, beejay

Yep, sticks are basically a little fiddly compared to a bowl soap, the bowl's just easier to handle (with more surface area) and therefore you get your brush loaded up that bit better.

Welcome to TSR Geoff, nice razor.

A Warm Welcome to TSR Geoff...The only soap stick I use is the Palmolive one and even that is Grated down into a bowl......Which, with a dash of palmolive cream on top gives a superb lather,either for direct face lathering or whipping up into a cream in a separate bowl.....some people don't care for the scent..but I love it, it smells nice and clean,and ...well soapy.

Maybe its just butterfingers old me...but soap sticks used as they are (in stick form) seem to escape onto the floor or bounce around the bathroom with a life of their own..

Plenty of soaps and creams out there to try....I'm losing track of how many I have at the moment.....It's very easy to lose control if you don't keep a tight rein on yourself...but a very enjoyable experience non the less..

Hi all and many thanks for the warm welcome and replies regarding the soap v stick.
Thinking about this more its's probably because I'm normally travelling or away from home most of the week so when started to wet shave I chose the Tesco soap stick and just continue with that at the weekends when home. Bit of a change at the moment as I've been at home since the beginning of December.
Will have a look for some soaps and a bowl and practise with that once I convince the wife. Her view is along the lines.... it's just having a shave what's with all this stuff!! :)

Back
Top Bottom