Hello all!

Hi all!

Like many people I'm sure, I have previously been using the "Bed and Breakfast" forums, which are very good I think, but too USA centered.

I am looking forward to participating in swaps, buying second hand products et, and discussing various aspects of wet shaving.

Eg, I plan to participate in Decemboar this year, and in addition to sharing with my Anbbas Badger, I have been doing test lathers on alternate boars. Hoping to soften them sufficiently for December. (I hate scratchy brushes)

Once I have been here a while, I think it may be interesting to start a "discontinued soaps" pass around.

I have been lucky with second hand sellers in the past, and don't want to feel like I am "hogging" any classics.

Happy shaving every one!

Welcome. I reckon you'll be right in here. C of G here is UK but we welcome all and have people from all over, inclusive of the USA. But for swapsies, yeah if you're over here it makes it all a bit more doable when there's no international shipping to contend with. Although folk have been known to take the trouble gladly, it must be said. This is a lovely corner of the Internet.

Hello and welcome to TSR! :)

A discontinued soap pass around sounds wonderful , I do have a soft spot for such soaps! :)
Which ones have you got?

Paul.
Thanks Paul!

well, some are easier to get hold of than others.

There is still a reasonable ammount of Tallow Tabac around, and I recently did an ebay order of Speick with the old style packaging. So fingers crossed it is the old one, not a new one with an out of date listing . But if it is the newer Speick, I can live with that, I love the Speick Stick.

my discontinued is mostly sticks, as I love sticks. Tallow Tabac, Boots shave stick, Palmolive, Wilkinson sword stick. A possible Speick Tabac

I actually got an Erasmic Stick from ebay. The listing was some kind of "shaving gift set", which came with a Weishi butterfly razor (I havn't tried it yet, I am still working out which DE blade is best in my KCG) and a slightly scratchy badger brush. I don't know if there is any market / appetite for slightly scratcy badger brushes, but if there is i will look into trading it away.

I got a williams mug soap before the prices on ebay went daft, and in theory there is a Boots shaving bowl on route.

Items I would like to add to the discontinued pass arround, but most likely won't be able to:
1, valobra - can't be found on ebay for love nor money (except an ancient one, which i don't like the idea of using for some reason)
2, Irisch moos - same, can't be found on ebay.
3, Colgate mug soap - There is a listing in america for 12 of them. But I can't afford to buy 12, and the shipping. Divided by 12, the colgate mug soap would be ~£12 each, which is better, so i would have to work out how the group buy forum works to get that sorted.

I am not sure how the pass arround works, but it would be good if the initial recipiants were able to contribute to it in some way.

Thanks Paul!

well, some are easier to get hold of than others.

There is still a reasonable ammount of Tallow Tabac around, and I recently did an ebay order of Speick with the old style packaging. So fingers crossed it is the old one, not a new one with an out of date listing . But if it is the newer Speick, I can live with that, I love the Speick Stick.

my discontinued is mostly sticks, as I love sticks. Tallow Tabac, Boots shave stick, Palmolive, Wilkinson sword stick. A possible Speick Tabac

I actually got an Erasmic Stick from ebay. The listing was some kind of "shaving gift set", which came with a Weishi butterfly razor (I havn't tried it yet, I am still working out which DE blade is best in my KCG) and a slightly scratchy badger brush. I don't know if there is any market / appetite for slightly scratcy badger brushes, but if there is i will look into trading it away.

I got a williams mug soap before the prices on ebay went daft, and in theory there is a Boots shaving bowl on route.

Items I would like to add to the discontinued pass arround, but most likely won't be able to:
1, valobra - can't be found on ebay for love nor money (except an ancient one, which i don't like the idea of using for some reason)
2, Irisch moos - same, can't be found on ebay.
3, Colgate mug soap - There is a listing in america for 12 of them. But I can't afford to buy 12, and the shipping. Divided by 12, the colgate mug soap would be ~£12 each, which is better, so i would have to work out how the group buy forum works to get that sorted.

I am not sure how the pass arround works, but it would be good if the initial recipiants were able to contribute to it in some way.
We'll done for securing a William's mug soap, I like Valobra shave soap in both stick and puck/cake and quite a few others, a lot of the discontinued soaps were / are very good indeed.

Paul.

Hi there @edbluetooth
And

welcome dracula GIF

Good luck with the ancient soap swaps.

It seems we have similar tastes in shaving soaps. Just over a year or so ago, all the German tallow shaving sticks were reasonably cheap and really easy to get hold off, now the humble Palmolive stick is sometimes over £20 on ebay! AFAIK, the only tallow shaving sticks are the last two Turkish made ones of Arko and Derby (there used to a lot more a few years like Camelot, I regret not getting them when they were on eBay) and DR Harris.

I'm going to participate in Decemboar as well. I've got a few new boar brushes I'm thinking of breaking in, or I might just use a few different well broken in boars.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here.

It seems we have similar tastes in shaving soaps. Just over a year or so ago, all the German tallow shaving sticks were reasonably cheap and really easy to get hold off, now the humble Palmolive stick is sometimes over £20 on ebay! AFAIK, the only tallow shaving sticks are the last two Turkish made ones of Arko and Derby (there used to a lot more a few years like Camelot, I regret not getting them when they were on eBay) and DR Harris.

I'm going to participate in Decemboar as well. I've got a few new boar brushes I'm thinking of breaking in, or I might just use a few different well broken in boars.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here.
Thanks!

I think I my attempts to break in my small omega boar brush have gone to far, because now it struggles to load soap.
Although I have only tried it on my wilkinson sword blue bowl so far. It may become a cream only brush if that is the case.

Back
Top Bottom