Hello all

E

egomonkey

Who would have thought there could be this many people talking about shaving?

A friend of mine has been raving about wet shaving and I've decided to give it a go, got my eye on some Edwin Jagger kit, since I'd like to support a Sheffield company.

Looking forward to it - I refuse to pay silly amounts for machfusionpowerturbo2000 blades so I've been on tesco own brand disposable razors for the last few years (27p for 10... :)

However this is obviously not the most comfortable - I get razor burn - and I like the idea of just buying the actual blades.

I'm not sure how I feel about all these dead badgers, but it seems that's the way to go...

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

Given the price of your disposable razors, there's a chance that you might not save so very much money, but then again if a chore becomes a pleasure it's well worth it. If the badger business is off-putting, there are good boar and horsehair brushes available and some people swear by them.

I was about to say what Arrowhead has, so I'll just say +1 on the subject of dead Badger. If I had any ethical problems I'd happily go with a bit of "live" horse.
Ed Jagger's razors are made in Germany by Muhle by the way, but I suppose you'd still be supporting an English company in part, and they do look quite English.

Welcome to the shaving room, I'm sure you will find better shaves through here, albeit not very much cheaper!

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Compared to 27p razors from Tesco I'm not expecting to save money - that has been a 'quick, cut all costs to the bone' measure over the last couple of years and I'm pleased to say I'm out of the woods now :)

I've taken the plunge and ordered a starter kit from http://traditionalshaving.co.uk using the 10% discount I found on a thread here (cheers!).

Coincidentally this company is 2 miles from where I live and I've a feeling I have spoken to the owner as part of my job a few years ago...

I've gone for the Edwin Jagger DE89L, and I can't wait to give it a go.
Bit disappointed to find out it's made in Germany actually, no problem with the Germans but I thought I was supporting a remnant of the Sheffield steel industry...

I've been watching some hilarious youtube videos which indicate the precise amount of time to leave the shaving brush in the bowl, which itself must be in warm water etc... This appeals to my inner geek immensely :)

I will let you know how it goes...

Hi & very welcome E.Monkey. Your razor may be made in Europe, however you are indeed supporting a British based company and as time goes on there are many British based manufacturers & individuals who will be delighted to supply soaps & brushes (many hand produced). Enjoy the shaving !

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Hello and welcome to TSR.

Despite being of german origin (the head anyway), the EJ is an excellent razor and I had a BBS shave with mine this morning so I can recommend it.

Friendly place this too!

Cheers,

Gordon

Back
Top Bottom