Have I knackered my boar?

Yes, really well, maybe it’s just a softer Boar, must have been from Dahn sarf
Haha nah mate our water is harder than your top boys! Mrs puts make up on wiv yard broom. Boars down here still have their tusks. Like they've had a Croydon facelift, look floppy from one angle but hard as nails... Hahaha!

Bants aside, unless the bristles are falling out its not knackered, especially if its got a bit of loft to it then it may have been not all that backboney anyway. The tips will probably split and soften more anyway after a couple of months depending on how much you use it. My Semogue started off looking like they all do in the shop pictures. After a month it was a real pleasure to use but it now looks like BoJo after a night spent under a hedge.

Last edited:
Haha nah mate our water is harder than your top boys! Mrs puts make up on wiv yard broom. Boars down here still have their tusks. Like they've had a Croydon facelift, look floppy from one angle but hard as nails... Hahaha!

Bants aside, unless the bristles are falling out its not knackered, especially if its got a bit of loft to it then it may have been not all that backboney anyway. The tips will probably split and soften more anyway after a couple of months depending on how much you use it. My Semogue started off looking like they all do in the shop pictures. After a month it was a real pleasure to use but it now looks like BoJo after a night spent under a hedge.
I can make such comments now I have moved ‘north’ to the East of England (where people look worryingly similar). As a meandering west country boy having lived in darkest Kent and London (won’t be doing that again) and a stint in Essex before temporarily settling in Suffolk until I can afford to retire in North Yorkshire (or even Northumberland if I can find a decent translator) I have enjoyed living in different regions!

The tips are cool, it’s just the backbone of my new and super cheap travel boar that I miss now I’m not travellling.

I can make such comments now I have moved ‘north’ to the East of England (where people look worryingly similar). As a meandering west country boy having lived in darkest Kent and London (won’t be doing that again) and a stint in Essex before temporarily settling in Suffolk until I can afford to retire in North Yorkshire (or even Northumberland if I can find a decent translator) I have enjoyed living in different regions!

The tips are cool, it’s just the backbone of my new and super cheap travel boar that I miss now I’m not travellling.
Are you sure you've knackered it? Sounds like it's just the particular characteristics of that boar. I assume there's still a fair amount of backbone there when your brush is dry?

It’s a little ‘floppy’ as I soaked the whole thing just not the tips I assume

I woud doubt that the Jade can actually become "floppy" at all. This brush has the lowest loft of all the Omega professional knots (52mm). Can you actually measure the loft in your brush? It might be a bit higher that it should. I usually think of floppy boars, brushes with higher loft. My jade is fully broken now, and still has a lot of backbone and splays nice. No floppiness. On the other hand, my omega 10049 after a lot, a lot of uses is actually quite floppy now. It has a massive loft around 65mm.

I woud doubt that the Jade can actually become "floppy" at all. This brush has the lowest loft of all the Omega professional knots (52mm). Can you actually measure the loft in your brush? It might be a bit higher that it should. I usually think of floppy boars, brushes with higher loft. My jade is fully broken now, and still has a lot of backbone and splays nice. No floppiness. On the other hand, my omega 10049 after a lot, a lot of uses is actually quite floppy now. It has a massive loft around 65mm.

Omega boars are quite variable. I bought two 10066's from Connaught Shaving, there was a 5mm difference in the glue bump of each. So I imagine each brush when broken will behave quite differently, I imagine the one with a lower glue bump might be a little bit floppier, whilst the one with the higher glue bump might be a scrubby beast.

Back
Top Bottom