Hard to resist ......

Why is it its so hard to resist adding more goodies to 'the stash' :roll:

Normally I buy things when I need them rather than wanting to add to a drawer filling with objects that will probably see me out :oops:

Started off with Merkur 34c ... now waiting for delivery of Edwin Jagger DE87 (someone led me astray on here the other day pointing towards Amazon :!: )

Got a cheapy WS brush from town, then bought a Cyril Salter bristle/badger ... thinking of treating myself to something 'special' :oops:

I bought a blade sampler and Max PIFFed me a magnificent collection of blades which I'm still wandering my way through... but thinking of buying some Astras, which I like :idea:

Soaps/creams, I got a couple of tubes to get started, Proraso/Ingrams, got a PIF of soap from Cubert (and PIFFed him some AS balm I didn't get on with) then bought some from Prof B, had some TOBS bought as a present, theres a Bay Rum sample on its way ... thinking of getting another each of my favourites but might wait for the BR sample first :roll:

No doubt I'm miles behind many others, but I've not been at this DE shaving for very long and (illogically) seem to be drawn into getting more stuff :roll: which if the truth be told I don't actually need, but seem to want :oops: very odd :roll:

Mind you, it could all be down to the results :shave which are very good indeed, I'm another who actually enjoys shaving now :lol:

Don't worry this is perfectly normal. You picked the wrong place to look for help in resisting, we are a bunch of enablers who will help you on inventive ways to justify and sometimes smuggle shaving gear either past the missus or even customs.

There is always room for one more.....just remember that and you are fine.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's because we spend so much time on this forum talking and looking at subjects relating to shaving.

I have also begun adding items I really don't need, but that I want. And that faster than good is (judging solely on what I won't get as a consequence, like new socks, which really I need, but do not want!)

Before I "found" TSR I only frequented the other large forum across the pond, and frequented is probably a large word for it. Fact is that I have made approximately 4 times more posts here in the short time I have been a member of TSR as opposed to my over a year long membership the other place. Which got me thinking...

Is there a relationship between the amount of time we use browsing shaving topics and the amount of money we use on the same?

I'm thinking along these lines:
-Naturally, if you have been at this for a long time, then you will have spent more money. So, we must have a proxy, like "number of shaving related items at your disposal" divided by number of days since you converted into a "wanting to shave situation". By that I mean since it also became a hobby as opposed to "just" a ritual of removing hair.
-Set this proxy in relation to number of posts made on this forum.

My guess is, there is a trend

I will gladly evaluate if there is such a trend, if you will participate!

All who wants to participate, please reply to this thread. If we get enough participants I will set up some kind of survey to gather the data and make the trend.

I'll make the survey anonymous.

/Max

PS: If I'm right in my assumptions, one could interpret such a simple statistic to mean: "If I stop hanging around TSR I will save money".... But let's face it, most of us will stay regardless :D

2700 blades, 11 razors, 15 soaps and creams, member since and number of posts to the right of this message, DE and SE shaving since April 2009 (but didn't get addicted till September last year)

Why the hell have I got so much stuff?????

I wonder how much can be blamed on attempting to buy the perfect shave result. Because there are so many combinations of items to use and the results from each being different, are we all searching for the holy grail. We also chat and read on a forum about each others findings and to a degree covert their results. Someone writes about a wonderful soap that affords huge slip and protection and wonderful scent and then wonder ourselves if this might be the one for us. The one piece of shaving paraphernalia that may give us what we seek, or at least take us one step closer to it. The same goes for Razors and blades, brushes and A/S's. I think we all very soon find a combination that if we could only live with one of each item, could and would be very happy with their choices. But Where is the fun and enjoyment in that. Variety, as they say, is the spice of life. Half the enjoyment is in the journey. Trying and experiencing new things and striving to improve ourselves. It's what we are about as Human beings.
I have always had the philosophy of never say no until you've tried it, It's gained me the family nick name of 5 minuet wonder, due to all the new things i get involved in and try. But hey who's the looser. I endeavour to never say, if only i had / i wish i had tried.
If you can afford to do it, and you don't hurt someone else in the process, then go for it. You never know what you might find you like.
Life's too short for what ifs.

I think it boils down to this. One day you have the most perfect shave and then spend the rest of your life trying to recreate it. Thats why we need so much stuff. (I say need rather than want. There is a big difference.)

Funny how shaving used to be a chore and a pain :twisted:

....... it is now one of the things I look forward to each day :shave

which is possibly one of the reasons I'm happy to keep buying / trying more stuff :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NotTheStig said:
2700 blades, 11 razors, 15 soaps and creams, member since and number of posts to the right of this message, DE and SE shaving since April 2009 (but didn't get addicted till September last year)

Why the hell have I got so much stuff?????

Carl
You do need to ask yourself that question! I estimate you have around 22 years supply of razor blades. Um. That's kind of a lot!!!!!!

At one point I had just over 8000 blades, 4000 of which were Gillette Bleues I bought from Rareup, since then I have sold and traded half of the Bleues and some others so probably around 4-5 thousand left. Bulk buys at a good price usually attracts me usually I can use them in the future for swaps etc. A rare blade can entice people more than mere money, for instance I could not get a puck of Penhaligons Old Formula English Fern, at the time I had over 1000 Swedes and traded some of them for the soap which I use more than Swedes.

It is better than stock and shares and I understand the market better :lol:

Yeah I do have a lot, but today I have been doing deals to get more Bleues!

I think I have actually found my 2 favourite blades - Rapira for new stock and Bleues old stock. I may be selling/swapping up some of my collection over the next few months on BST...

Back
Top Bottom