Hard or soft......which is it?

Hard or soft.......which is it?

• Total voters
I've grown rather partial lately to the Tesco coconut macaroons the ones they cook on the premises they are a little hard around the edges but soft in the middle and have lovely texture and secondly I love coconut, and Man do they go well with a nice cup of Tippy Asam.

Bechet45 said:
A female friend will dunk most anything dry into most anything wet. She considers this to be quite normal and so issues no warning. Cake into soup. Sandwiches into tea. I cannot watch - revolting. Lovely, says she.

Hmmm, is she Asian? Reason I ask is.......well take a look at the video. Yep, Kobayashi dunks to help make the lusciousness go down.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5U3eOfBv0

dodgy said:
Bechet45 said:
A female friend will dunk most anything dry into most anything wet. She considers this to be quite normal and so issues no warning. Cake into soup. Sandwiches into tea. I cannot watch - revolting. Lovely, says she.

Hmmm, is she Asian? Reason I ask is.......well take a look at the video. Yep, Kobayashi dunks to help make the lusciousness go down.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5U3eOfBv0

Heh! that's her sister - the one with good manners and pleasant eating habits.

Just scoffed two of those softer than marshmallow, covered in chocolate and grated coconut treats and would have glady ate another half dozen in there were any left.

Half a pack of gingernuts with the tea... no problem.

Those Danish Buttery cookies that show up at Christmas... I might not eat one for months, then I might down the tin... depends on the mood.

Not a fan of chocolate biscuits (Hobnobs, Digestives) not sure why.

Love those coconut macaroon things as already mentioned, they can be lovely and softly chewy on the inside, very tasty.

Had some Fox's biscuits full of coconut recently too.. very tasty, full pack with a brew no problem.

Friends from the States sent over Moonpies, wasn't keen on them at all.. a poor version of the classic Wagonwheel which can be had for next to nothing these days... downed six last weekend.

jb74 said:
Just scoffed two of those softer than marshmallow, covered in chocolate and grated coconut treats and would have glady ate another half dozen in there were any left.

Half a pack of gingernuts with the tea... no problem.

Those Danish Buttery cookies that show up at Christmas... I might not eat one for months, then I might down the tin... depends on the mood.

Not a fan of chocolate biscuits (Hobnobs, Digestives) not sure why.

Love those coconut macaroon things as already mentioned, they can be lovely and softly chewy on the inside, very tasty.

Had some Fox's biscuits full of coconut recently too.. very tasty, full pack with a brew no problem.

Friends from the States sent over Moonpies, wasn't keen on them at all.. a poor version of the classic Wagonwheel which can be had for next to nothing these days... downed six last weekend.

Looks like I shoulda included an 'everything' option in the poll....

Sorry, didn't see the poll, using Tapatalk here and I'm not sure it shows the poll. I just assumed it was a general chat about biccies.

Hard or soft.. hard for dipping purposes. Nothing worse than when the biscuit gets too soft and falls into your cuppa.

Hiya,

Ok, lemme see if I got this right. What you foreigners call a cookie can often be soft, but a biscuit is usually hard and crunchy and can be either round (gingernut) or shaped more like a thick cracker. Both types are usually sweet rather than savory. That right so far?

Gang, those are all cookies in my book. Dunking crunchy cookies in tea....oh boy. Biscuits are what's served with red eye gravy or in a basket, ready to split open and butter. You are using the wrong term. Far as 'digestives' go, those are what people who are diets will eat instead of Limey 'biscuits', although they're the same ingredients. These people will refuse cookies or biscuits, but grab 10-12 'digestives' instead.

Man, y'all are dunkin fools. Never occurred to me that nasty habit would be so widespread in a relatively civilized country. Who woulda thunk it!!! Hah, it's kinda like a Limey (and other foreigner) version of 'chew' here in Yankeetown.

Martin

So it just dawned on me........how the heck do you keep all the debris that's floating/sinking/suspended in the coffee/tea from getting outta control? Like at High Tea, is there a guy who comes around with a silver skimmer or strainer of some kind? Sorta like the salad guy and his fresh ground pepper. Actually, more like the pool guy.

There is a fine art to dunking Mart.

Generally one dunk is enough, two is pushing it and you run the risk of your biscuit (a proper English one, none of this 'foreign muck') collapsing into your mug of tea when you lift it out.

Some biscuits make far better dunkers than others. These are one dunk maximum:

_38205510_rich_tea300.jpg

These will survive multiple dunkings:

hobnobs.jpg

And there is a fine Aussie tradition of biting both ends off these and sucking your tea through it:

tim-tam.jpg

Tall_Paul said:
There is a fine art to dunking Mart.

Ok, those Hobnob and Tim Tams look suspiciously like cookies! I bet the ingredients are similar to one, mainly because that's what they are.

Now dipping those into coffee is not unlike doughnuts, and how well they go with that drink. I could maybe see some people doing that. There's even an ice cream flavor coffee/doughnuts.

Tea though........why dip anything into tea? Unlike coffee, it's basically hot water that won't add any extra flavor to the 'biscuits'. All it does is turn a healthy crunchy cookie into mush. That about right? It's the 'mushy peas' syndrome I bet. No texture is the goal........heh. Oh wait, maybe this is how you guys put some faint taste in the tea.

Nice food philosophy you got over there Paul,

Mart

I voted for soft.

I'm intreged with what the US OF A think of the English biscuit obsession, I regard a cookie as a large soft er cookie, I recall an Albanian lady at work was "looking on" at the biscuit debate and was puzzled by it, asking me later "are these people are crazy"?

I guess the cookie thing has been molested with chocolate over here in Blighty.

John said:
I voted for soft.

what the US OF A think of the English biscuit obsession, I regard a cookie as a large soft er cookie,

gazza said:
If you'd just thought of adding the sugar, hot water and tea you'd have been golden

John, till this thread was started I had no idea about this silly biscuit thing at all.

Gazza, are you suggesting dipping an Oreo in tea? Hah, seriously, is that what you're after? You are bringing milk into the mix? Oh man, I just had an idea. You don't let little kids dunk stuff in tea or coffee do you? Please say no.

Anyway, subbing tea for milk in this case is........not good. So, would an Oreo be a biscuit then?

An Oreo is a biscuit with a cream centre, Mart. They're not a bad effort as far as you Yanks go (certainly much better than your, ahem, 'chocolate').

Here's a Brit equivalent:

bourbon.jpg

dodgy said:
John said:
I voted for soft.

what the US OF A think of the English biscuit obsession, I regard a cookie as a large soft er cookie,

gazza said:
If you'd just thought of adding the sugar, hot water and tea you'd have been golden

John, till this thread was started I had no idea about this silly biscuit thing at all.

Gazza, are you suggesting dipping an Oreo in tea? Hah, seriously, is that what you're after? You are bringing milk into the fight? Oh man, I just had an idea. You don't let little kids dunk stuff in tea or coffee do you? Please say no.

Anyway, subbing tea for milk in this case is........not good. So, would an Oreo be a biscuit then?

An Oreo is a Custard Cream biscuit that someone thought it would be a good idea to make chocolate flavoured.

And no, children are not encouraged to drink tea or coffee since the '80s. As a child of the '70s there was no problem with drinking the stuff, but dunking was discouraged as it takes ages to get wet biscuit out of a carpet.

Sorry Marty, don't do cookies. Biscuits aye, but cookies are like a stale or under-cooked biscuit for me and a weird foreign habit. The wife came back from Marks and Spencer's once and told me she'd bought me a great big chocolate chip cookie. It was muckle and they hadn't skimped on the choc chips but when I bit into it, I told my good lady that it was off (gone soft and stale) and she'd better take it back and complain. "They're supposed to be like that, dear", she replied sympathetically. "Not round here they ain't", retorted I, giving the ever eager Toby dog the remains of the cookie and stomping off to fetch some Rington's ginger snaps.

You statesiders have these strange things called muffins as well which are sweet like cakes and have chocolate chips or bits of blueberry in 'em. They seem to have permeated our society as well. What the chuff is going on with those, sir? Muffins over here are like a flat, savoury scone that are delicious cut in half horizontally and toasted for breakfast with butter or as the basis for that king of breakfasts, Eggs Benedict! Or, a muffin is some clumsy person that has gone and messed something up e.g., " Ye daft muffin, what did ye do that for?"

Of course, you lot put maple syrup on bacon - that sort of carry on should be banned by act of parliament as Faust's foul filth for foody fiends.

As for dunking into tea and coffee: I dunk most thinks including, very occasionally a piece of cake, depending on the likelihood of said caking disappearing into the tea which is not good, not good at all. A chocolate bar into a cappuccino or cup of tea is all good with me but my favourite would have to be my Granny's lard & butter pastry, iced fruit slice. What we'd call a 'flea cemetery'. That (not dunked!) with a quality loose leaf, rich amber blend black tea is the hound's hangers for me. Cookies? Pah, yer can keep 'em! Partial to a bit shortbread an' all and any cake full of fruit plus the richer the better. Black Bun at New Year is magic and did you ever try Selkirk Bannock?

Carl, my goodness sir, I have to entirely agree with you - cake into soup, ugghhhh! Bread, preferably still warm and crusty into soup. Mother's soda bread fresh out the oven into homemade broth on a cold, winter's day. Now yer talkin'!

Och, I don't half ramble on, eh?

Back
Top Bottom