happy new year all..

.. and what better way then to get back into the real world of shaving.

I'm usually a Gillette sensor man, and i tend to use Bodyshop shaving cream, with a bodyshop brush. Its not a bad shave, too be honest.
Bodyshop did once sell razors, and blades (made in usa) but I dont think they sell them anymore.

I tried a double edger for a while - the razor was the standard black plastic wilkinson sword you get in boots, for a fiver or so ( plus three blades included. ). the blades I bought in Boots as well, bog-standard wilkinson swords.
The shave, however, was not the best (i used it with bodyshop shaving cream and brush), kept getting the odd cut here and there; found myself hacking a bit at my thick tough mediterranean hair, which i never really ever get with my sensor.
Plus, I found it bloody hard to get the blade out of that tiny black plastic blade container. And also, sometimes the container would get wet, and the blades rusted. All in all, I was too slap-dash in my approach. So I returned to the sensor. the lazy man's blade.

To be honest, however, those sensor blades do not seem to be lasting as long as they did. If I was a cynic, I'd say that gillette have deliberately reduced the quality of sensor blades in the last couple of years.

So its time to give it DE another go, and the new years resolution will be to be less slap-dash about it all, and enjoy it more.

I tell you whats really interesting: visiting supermarkets and boots and superdrugs etc, plus even general websearches, you only ever really get to hear about the big shaving companies like gilllete and wilkinson. plus a selection of shaving gel/cream like KingOfShaves, Gillette, etc. So I'm stunned to find an amazing world full of a bundle of different razor firms, a plethora of different blades, a smattering of brushes and a ton of creams, soaps, soap sticks (arko soap stick? what on earth..?), soap bowls (which is presumably a small bowl or disp to pop the soap in) and razor holders.

My only reservation is that I do not believe in animal testing and so, sadly, Badger hair brush or Boar hair brush is a complete no-no, unless the hairs were obtained by some really friendly means (hence bodyshop shaving cream and shaving brush). So I'd be keen to check out some creams or soaps that are totally, absolutely and categorically 100% against animal testing. Which does make things tricky.

Anyway, hello, and happy new year.

Hi, Welcome to the forum :)

There is nothing wrong with the Body Shop cream, it's quite well rated. I'm not sure about the brush but there are some good synthetic brushes about and I'm sure at some point someone will advise you of which ones.

The cheapy Wilkinson sword razor and blades probably didn't help you much when you tried before. A better razor and sharper blades would make life easier. Perhaps an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor coupled with some Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge blades might be a good starting point.

If you go and have a look at Connaught Shaving website they do a sample pack of blades so you can try a few different ones to see which suit you best.

I'm afraid I can't help you when it comes to non animal tested products, I wouldn't have a clue :(

Hi

I think Nanny's Soap might fit the bill... http://www.nannyssillysoap.com/ps/category.php?id_category=6
You can contact them and ask about the products in any case, either via the web site or via Soapalchemist on this forum (I think). I'm thinking of buying some myself and a lot of people on this forum rate it.

Welcome baggister,

my wife is also 100% against animal testing so I have to check that a product is OK before I start dropping hints. Castle Forbes state they do not test on animals on their packaging. Bit pricey but I've been impressed with their lavender shaving cream.

Lose the beard said:
Hi, Welcome to the forum :)

The cheapy Wilkinson sword razor and blades probably didn't help you much when you tried before. A better razor and sharper blades would make life easier. Perhaps an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor coupled with some Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge blades might be a good starting point.

If you go and have a look at Connaught Shaving website they do a sample pack of blades so you can try a few different ones to see which suit you best.

Thanks: I did notice that DE89 and EJ89 seem to have thumbs up on this site, so will almost certainly go for it.
Will also check out Connaught - excellent.

WiffWaff said:
Hi

I think Nanny's Soap might fit the bill...
You can contact them and ask about the products in any case, either via the web site or via Soapalchemist on this forum (I think). I'm thinking of buying some myself and a lot of people on this forum rate it.

Thanks, very nice, will check it out. I do love a cool name!

chrisbell said:
Welcome! As far as synthetic hair brushes are concerned, I'd recommend the Muhle Silvertip Fibre range - either 23mm or 25 mm knot diameter.

Thanks very much.

Its a real shame that badgers or boars dont shed their hairs naturally, and people can just go around picking up the hairs.

p.b said:
Welcome baggister,

my wife is also 100% against animal testing so I have to check that a product is OK before I start dropping hints. Castle Forbes state they do not test on animals on their packaging. Bit pricey but I've been impressed with their lavender shaving cream.

Brilliant; thanks v much - cant be any more pricy than Bodyshop.

Most of nannys soaps are suitable for vegans. She has a few that contain beeswax or goatsmilk and if she says most are suitable for vegans then i very much doubt she has had them tested on animals for obvious reasons. Very nice soap it is too, i have three of them and they are all superb

daz said:
Most of nannys soaps are suitable for vegans. She has a few that contain beeswax or goatsmilk and if she says most are suitable for vegans then i very much doubt she has had them tested on animals for obvious reasons. Very nice soap it is too, i have three of them and they are all superb

Thanks v much, I'll definitely be getting some. I've noticed that you can get jars, and hard soap - I dont really know what the difference is: ill check the other threads

You can get samples of Nanny's soft soaps quite cheaply... thought about doing this myself as I can try out some of the different smells as well as trying out the soft soap. I like both creams and hard soaps... I think soft soaps are somewhere in the middle... just another option

Back
Top Bottom