Happy 70th Birthday Muhammad Ali

There was a very interesting article in The Times today about his 70th birthday.

I never realised, for example, that he apparently addressed a Klu Klux Klan rally in the 1970's.

Great boxer and a far more in depth character politically than he's generally given credit for.

Being about the same age and sport mad, I sort of grew up with Ali. I remember the build up to his fight with Sony Liston, listened to the live commentary and was so excited when he won. He was like no other. I listened to or watched live in the cinema all his great fights. His was the most thrilling sporting career that I have followed in my lifetime. And there have been many since I saw my first big football match in 1949.

So happy birthday champ, thanks for the memories.

shamreez said:
amazing fighter and amazing personality...

Dont know if it is just me or has boxing lost its sheen which was all over when the likes of Ali dominated

Simple - I think pay per view has killed off mass interest. And there are too many "World" championship bodies. The heavyweight division has also been poor in recent years.

A truly unique and inspirational man - Happy Birthday Champ!

What an extraordinary life Ali has led. We are fortunate that so much of his life has been captured on film and in books. I still recall the thrill of seeing 'When We Were Kings' at the cinema in 1996. And I never get tired of watching his various Michael Parkinson interviews.

An interesting read for any Ali fan is 'The Tao of Muhammad Ali' by Davis Miller. A charming and fascinating book that provides an insight into not only the great man himself, but also his impact on the author's life, and the inspiration he provided him as a young boy. Compelling stuff.

Francorelli said:
A truly unique and inspirational man - Happy Birthday Champ!

What an extraordinary life Ali has led. We are fortunate that so much of his life has been captured on film and in books. I still recall the thrill of seeing 'When We Were Kings' at the cinema in 1996. And I never get tired of watching his various Michael Parkinson interviews.

What's doin Jos,

I was lucky enough to live through his whole career, starting with the 1960 Olympics. Yeah, I am pretty goddamn old, and I've forgotten lots of stuff over the years....

I do remember what a huge deal it was when Ali fought some of the other top guys back then. Man, there were a BUNCH of great heavyweights during that era. So many of his fights were memorable for different reasons, a couple of em being he was a large under dog. Man, before fighting Foreman in Manila, lots of people were afraid he was seriously gonna get killed in the ring. Hah, the fight against Norton when he fought the distance (lost) with a broken jaw suffered early on. Ali had lots of heart....that's for sure.

When We Were Kings is a good flick. For some of his most wonderful interviews you might like to see some with Howard Cosell. Those guys couldn't have been more different in some ways, and so much alike in others. Some kinda chemistry thing that was fun to see.

Yeah, Ali would be my favorite sports type figure.

Martin

dodgy said:
When We Were Kings is a good flick. For some of his most wonderful interviews you might like to see some with Howard Cosell. Those guys couldn't have been more different in some ways, and so much alike in others. Some kinda chemistry thing that was fun to see.

Evening Martin

It must have been great to have been able to witness Ali's career at the time it was happening - I was just a young kid in the 70s, so didn't get the full impact at the time, but even then I knew he was legendary.

I think it was that film that first made me aware of Howard Cosell - there's the classic Ali taunt "I'm gonna let everybody know that that thing you got on your head is a phony, and it comes from the tail of a pony!". And talking of movies, I recall Jon Voight's remarkable transformation to play Cosell in the Ali biopic.

Great times.

I remember leaving a Brighton cinema in the 60s at about 6am after watching a live Ali fight. Felt like death when I arrived at the office at 8.30 as usual. What a night, what a fight, what a man. It was worth it.

I had the pleasure of watching the worlds greatest heavyweight live on TV or the cinema as we did during the seventies in the most amazing fights, when there was one title WBC 10 worthy contenders 15 rounds heavyweights who didn't move around the ring like sluggs fighting for a few seconds then holding on for the next 2 and a half minutes like the modern day heavyweights far less show biz, these men where truly world class fighters and boxers, modern day gladiators, Muhammad Ali I salute you, i'm affraid we will never see your likes again

Jamie.

Back
Top Bottom