Hair Loss

NO NOT MY HEAD !!! Mind you that's thinning out ! :roll:

I have had my Simpsons Milk Churn for about a month. Until the weekend I had only lost an odd hair here and there. But since Friday last week it's been loosing a about 10 each day. Is there a point in breaking it in where you do loose a few or what ?

I have been rinsing it ,giving it a gentle squeeze a couple of swipes on a towel and leaving it stood up. I do use it every day but it's a full 24 hrs between shaves.

It's bloomed out quite a bit so I would imagine the air gets in to the hairs pretty well too.

There's an awful lot of hairs in a shaving brush so I wouldn't be too worried yet.
Running a fine tooth comb through it should remove any loose and dislodged hairs and hopefully resolve the problem.
regards, beejay

Yes it happens. Keep the hair just in case in does continue for a prolonged and unreasonable period.

I don't know what that is, maybe until you get really pissed off.

10 is a bit on the high side.

I lose 1-2 on my Kent.

When you soak it pre-shave - how hot is the water?

Rather than stand it up, should you not hang upside down it so the water can drain off? (rather than sit on the knot)

Take a look at this post in my Fido's Shaving Brush Blog. I asked the makers of your brush for some information about shedding and their reply is here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/shaving-brush-care-and-shedding.html">http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.c ... dding.html</a><!-- m -->

Thanks everyone.

Cheers for that Fido, great bit on your blog and the link to the other site from there.

Looking at that it could be the water has been too hot. The water I have been using is straight from the hot tap, and it is hot rather than warm. I will reduce the heat, and perhaps instead of using it everyday rotate it with the old W/S boar. I have another Simpson on the way, which my dear old mum has bought me. No Idea which one, so when it arrives I can get a rotation going.

Must get one of your brushes Fido when funds permit, nice place the New Forest, until 18 months ago we lived just on the outskirts of Romsey / Southampton.

Cheers

Well the loss seems to be slowing, there are still a few coming out, but not quite as many. I will see how next week goes.

Looking at the hairs though they are longer than the brush, and therefore would of had to of come out of the knot. So I suppose from this I can tell that it's not due to soap residue causing the hairs to be brittle. If it was due to the hairs being brittle they would not be as long. Thinking about the water heat I have only soaked the hairs and not the knot/handle so I wouldn't imagine that would be the problem.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5456">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5456</a><!-- l --> ;)

Well this morning it was still shredding.

I read everything everyone has kindly posted on here and can't see what I have done wrong with it, so I contacted Simpsons. They have asked me to post it back to them and they will take a look at it for me. They said if is found to be faulty they will replace it. Very quick reply from them.

Roefisher said:
Not a good day for brushes here, either. My Chubby 1 Super is playing up again.

I shaved with her a few minutes ago and ....... she lost 39 hairs. Sadly, most of them (maybe 30 or so) were large which would go down into the knot base which, I'm thinking, means they are proper hairs rather than leftovers from manufacturing.

That is 84 hairs in a handful of outings. Funny enough, not one of my other 8 Simpson brushes has lost more than 2 or 3 hairs.

As I said before, I was told by the shop to give it a month or so before doing anything more about it, if necessary. To get a result one way or the other within a fairly sharp timescale, I'm going to start shaving with this one every other day now and rotate the rest of my collection as usual to see how it goes.

It's a great brush too for my usual shave with MWF which is a bit sickening. But I suppose, even in the worst outcome, it'll hopefully be replaced :cry:

Mark

Oh dear, I know, it is frustrating and sickening.

My lost hairs are long too, just the same they must of come out of the knot base. The knot base and handle have never been submerged so I can't see water getting in being the issue.

Great brush and it was fine at first. Reading everything I can't see anything I am doing wrong with it. I will be posting it tomorrow and will update you here on how it goes.

All the best with yours mate.

Update !!

I sent the Milk Churn back to Simpsons Wednesday, I just had a knock at the door and postie was there with a brand new replacement brush.

What excellent service from Brett at Simpsons. I never expected such a quick turn around and what a great level of service and customer care. :D :D :D :D :D

Northam Saint said:
Update !!

I sent the Milk Churn back to Simpsons Wednesday, I just had a knock at the door and postie was there with a brand new replacement brush.

What excellent service from Brett at Simpsons. I never expected such a quick turn around and what a great level of service and customer care. :D :D :D :D :D

What a good result for you and as you say, excellent service :) .
They are good aren't they.
regards, beejay

Roefisher said:
That's a great result, Northam Saint.

My own update is that during my most recent shave, the brush lost another 4 full length hairs.

I realise some brushes will occasionally loose occasional hairs and I wouldn't mind that one bit, but I have to admit that I'm still not pleased with this brush's level of shedding and if it continues, even at the lower rates I've had so far of around 4 to 6 never mind the days when it lost over 30, I'll be looking for a return and refund too. It's a question of when enough is enough and it's definitely a poor show compared against my other brushes which honestly don't loose a single hair during shaves. I was advised to try using it for a month and so I believe I'd have a strong enough case for a return if this shedding continues over the next handful of outings which would be within roughly the next fortnight.

On a happy note, the service you got from the company is indeed superb and I am pleased to see that they stand over their product so well. My respect to them!

Mark

Mark

I was getting really fed up with 10-15 a day over two weeks, I know there are thousands of hairs but loosing them like that can't be right. But the odd one here and there I can accept, indeed for the first two weeks I had the odd one here and there. No doubt too you get the odd duff brush. The most annoying bit was picking them off my lathered face or shaving one that lay on my face.

For sure though if it happened again I would seek a refund and go else where.

All I can say is that it's the way the company deals with it when it happens matters. Full marks to Simpsons. I should also say they were very quick to respond when I contacted them via email. There was no fuss, the first reply was asking for me to end it back with a copy of the receipt.

EDITED TO ADD

Regards the length, after all I read I did learn that not rinsing out old soap can make the hairs brittle, but in your case and mine, the hairs are longer and from the knot. If it was incorrect rinsing they would be shorter and not long enough to have come out of the knot.

Thanks so much for that link to your blog Fido - I have a PJ2 Best that sheds 1 or 2 hairs every shave. If that's normal, I'll just stop worrying about it!

I must say that the new brush is better. I have only lost TWO hairs and they were on the first trial lather. The new one. now I know this will sound daft, but it feels different, in a good way. Hard to explain why etc but it just does.

I've got a little T&H brush that I picked up on B/S/T a while back and it's a real shedder! I loose about half a dozen hairs every single lather. All long hairs too! I'm gentle with the brush and I use warm rather than hot water. I will persevere with it however as it has softened nicely and gives my a luxurious face painting experience (I'm not one for the overly scratchy and exfoliating sensation).

Back
Top Bottom