Gus...Mackems and Miracles

I'm a mag. I should have a pathological hatred for the colour red. I should be feeling a smug sense of enjoyment at the pain and suffering of those Mackems on the Wear. But I'm not!! I'm keeping a keen eye on Gus and the boys as they show some balls, (take note NUFC). I thought that they were dead and buried 4 games ago....but what a turnaround. The win at Man U today hasn't come as a great surprise given the way they have been grinding out results. Acid test now lads cos you seem to be apprehensive and dithery at home. The old Roker Roar was always good for a goal start. I will be the first to congratulate Gus and the boys if they stay up. But I will hate them with a vengeance next season!!!

It would be nice to get another 6 points from Newcastle next year, or even to have the chance. I can't see Norwich getting 4 points in their next two games, but as you say miracles happen. Norwich seem to be a good club to me it will be a bit of shame if they do go down.

They've only gone and done it! Sunderland stay up (barring any possible legal action for playing an unregistered player). The powers that be surely mustn't dole out retrospective points deductions for when (and they surely will) clubs who finished in the bottom three contemplate the predicament. To Gus, the players and the fans......you have been fantastic.

I was at the match yesterday, it was amazing. I was super nervous before kick off, it didn't look like the players were nervous at all, they played some really nice stuff especially in the first half. Borini's goal was excellent. If they beat Swansea in the final game they could even finish 12th. Who'd have thought that five weeks ago?

Another good day at the match yesterday. Well done to Gus and the players although inconsistent doesn't begin to describe their performances this year. What a season!

Gateshead could be back in the league now too.

I would like Derby to come up through the playoffs as half my family are from there.

Should be an end of season decider between Atletico Madrid and Barcelona, and Atletico in the CL final too. If Atletico win one of those competitions then it would eclipse Sunderland's miracle.

The Mackem Shaver said:
Gateshead could be back in the league now too.

Gateshead getting league status back would be fantastic. Could be a kinda derby game with Hartlepool.......espesh if York City get promoted via playoffs.

It's goodbye Gus. I like the feller but the powers that be at Mackemville must reckon that it's time to part company. I hope he gets another job with a British club. We must not forget how he helped keep the Wearsiders up last season.

I am a mag, and would love to see The Mackems and Smoggies im the prem next season would be the icing on the cake if Gatesheed could manage promotion too.

Good luck with your next manager whoever it is. The toon are in for a long rough ride I fear... unless miracles do indeed happen.
Jim

Thanks for bumping this thread, it's reminded me that we did play some good football under Gus, the great escape and the League semi final where we had a brilliant move with thirty odd passes and hit the woodwork. We've had none of that this season and we've not replaced last season's loanees with similar quality. We started the season okay and were negative but organised, I thought Gus was trying to do his best with the players he had and was looking to try and get us back to playing some good stuff when he could try and bring in some better players. Unfortunately it started to unravel with Gus chopping changing players and tactics, strange comments in the media and the open letter. I'm not sure if any new manager will make much of a difference, a lot of these players have seen off three or four managers now. Managers getting sacked in a relegation fight at the end of the season is becoming all too familiar, but the new guy always seems to get a lift by beating the mags so hopefully that trend will continue.

That's all we need. Dick Advocaat will have the Mackems playing 'total football' when we meet again next month! It took me 3 months to pull myself round after the last derby defeat. Football.......it's only a game.

Supporters of my team (Sheffield United) are going through something like this at the moment.

We are heading towards our fifth season in League 1, Nigel Clough has had one of the biggest budgets in the league and bought terribly (we have a massive squad with loads of mediocre players) and we are struggling to stay in the playoffs.

More and more fans are wondering whether we should get shot of him now. The problem being our board do not have a good recent record of appointing managers.

The joys of being a fan of a crap team!

Back
Top Bottom