Grinder recommendations

Hello coffee lovers,

Looking for a coffee grinder to give as a gift to a new to proper coffee person who I've started off with a cafetiere at Christmas and a couple of coffees pre ground by my local coffee shop. Don't want to spend more than £20 so a nice easy to use and clean one would be ideal

Brian

If you can stretch the budget a little then the porlex hand grinder is excellent

Yes, at that low budget, a hand grinder is your best option. Which one? I don't know. I bet a vintage one would be better than any modern creations that cost less than $75 US.

Step it up to $100 US and you can get a decent grinder. I started with a Breville Ikon, lasted a good while, 4 years IIRC. Upgraded to a Virtuoso.

Difference is noticeable, but unsure whether it was worth the price tag.

I've got one of these and I'm quite happy with it. The only problem I find is that you can't grind a large quantity of beans at one time, however it's not a huge issue. Great grinder IMO.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00004SPEU/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356676473&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

NNathwani said:
I've got one of these and I'm quite happy with it. The only problem I find is that you can't grind a large quantity of beans at one time, however it's not a huge issue. Great grinder IMO.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00004SPEU/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356676473&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

I've got the same one, works fine for reg coffee beans and you decide yourself how fine you want it (but you can't use it for espresso machines like Rancilio Silvias, Gaggia Classics or semi pro models). I would guess some hand grinders are better (not so hot + maybe a more fine/even grind).

ch2700 said:
"but you can't use it for espresso machines like Rancilio Silvias, Gaggia Classics "

Why not?

It can't grind fine enough. For machines like that you need a much better grinder. I know it sounds like mumbo jumbo, but you really need to spend (almost) as much on the grinder as you do on the coffee machine in those cases, I'm sorry to say. Most guys try to cut corners with this (me included, to start with), but sooner or later learns that it's not possible.

Well, most burr grinders doesn't cut it (like the Krupp model we where talking about). Pro grinders (and some semi pro) uses grinding "wheels" that crushes the beans to different degrees of coffee powder. A good grinder is "Rocky", often sold together with Rancilio Silvia (same maker - Rancilio). I think a good deal would be a second hand pro grinder on Ebay, like Mazzer super Jolly or the likes, but those are often LARGE and need space (even though you can buy a mini bean hopper to the Jolly).

Prosumer machines like those mentioned require a grind that is fine and regular for optimum extraction and bladed machines just can't do that. They chop as well as heat the beans and cannot be adjusted for grind size accurately so for consistent grind a good burr grinder is required. However cheap motorised burr grinders (sub £100) are not up to the job (for espresso) either, it's not the motor power that's critical it's the quality of the burr mills, housing and adjustment and that can't be economised easily without compromising performance, if constrained by a budget it's a better to opt for a quality manual burr grinder than a cheap motorised one at least for genuine espresso.

I use an iberital mc2 grinder. It is around 120 ex vat, and is a conical burr grinder.

I will go beyond espresso fineness, and is consistent ( although tricky to get set up a first)

It is pretty much the cheapest entry into a grinder that will actually do a satisfactory, consistent espresso grind.

As your mate is using a cafetiere I don't think you need to go too mad. I have had one of these for a year or so and find it is just the job. A bit over your budget but no motor to go wrong and it will not burn the beans.
I should add I had the Krupps one before and it is easy to grind the beans too fine and you end up with sludge in your coffee mug.

http://www.algcoffee.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=373

Back
Top Bottom