Greetings from Cork

L

Lofty

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while. I picked up a copy of Anders Larsen's book Sharp Practice: The Real Man's Guide to Shaving a few months ago and saw the light. Before that, I'd been using a Philishave, and a Gillette II set-up after the electric gave up the ghost several years ago. With the GIllette, I'd used either one of those generic soap pucks you find on the bottom shelf of a supermarket with an old Vulfix brush, or lately some non-foaming gel in an attempt to spend as little time as possible on the morning shave. I didn't use any aftershave products as everything I tried seemed to just make my face red or dry and bring on a rash of pimples or other problems.

I've now used a vintage straight razor, a Merkur safety razor, and various soaps, creams and aftershave products - both expensive and cheap - recommeded here for a couple of months, with great results. I spend a lot longer on the preparation process every morning, and really look forward to shaving now. I wish every man could try the old-fashioned way and stop spending a fortune on those cartridges.

Thanks for a great resource and community!

Back
Top Bottom