Grating sticks

I've decided to grate down some arko sticks and Palmolive to effectively have them the same as my soaps that come in bowls and I have a couple of questions:

Can anyone recommend some good containers to store them in?

How many sticks should I grate into the containers?

What other soap sticks perform well in this manner?

Basically I'm just looking for how you guys that have done this before have went about it!

I grated 2 Palmolive sticks into a small bowl a few months back. It was just a bowl I had in the kitchen - smaller than a cereal bowl, maybe about 4 or 5 inches diameter at the top?
I just used a regular old fashioned cheese grater. Once it was grated I just pressed it into the bowl. It looks rough at first but a few shaves soon smooths the top of the soap.

IKEA Grundtal spice tins are ideal: wide-rimmed, metal, clear lid, although not particularly stackable. You'll easily fit in three 50g sticks. Softer soap, like Arko, can be moulded with your fingers. Others, like La Toja, need to be sliced or grated. Freezing the soap does help if grating.

Personally, I'd use a stick as intended. I see the reasoning behind it though. I'm often away from home and have found sticks to be preferable to tube creams.

Helveticum said:
Yeah, this.
Used to be 2.50 delivered, now it's a little more tricky.. Gotta love cost cutting.

I found a pack of 3 containers very similar to this in asda, and have used two for a LEA stick and a stick of Arko. £1.50 for 3.

I've used an asda ramekin for a stick of Palmolive too. That was £1.

Every time I do it I consider using 2/3 sticks, but by the time I've done one I figure that a stick lasts for such a long time as a stick, there's no need to do 2 at a time unless you can't be bothered to go through the whole grating again in the future.

Arko I just moulded in with my thumbs, it's nice and soft. Others have said to freeze sticks before grating to make it easier, something I've not bothered with before with Palmolive or Lea sticks.

I have picked up a tub with lid from the range before for about 60p also if you have a B&M nearby I have bought 3 clip lock tubs for 99p they are red one if you are looking for them.

Grated a whole Tabac stick into the B&M one with room to spare. A Tabac stick is fairly large for a soap stick.

Burgundy said:
IKEA Grundtal spice tins are ideal: wide-rimmed, metal, clear lid, although not particularly stackable. You'll easily fit in three 50g sticks. Softer soap, like Arko, can be moulded with your fingers. Others, like La Toja, need to be sliced or grated. Freezing the soap does help if grating.

Personally, I'd use a stick as intended. I see the reasoning behind it though. I'm often away from home and have found sticks to be preferable to tube creams.

If you want to stack these, just remove the magnet from the bottom with a flat head screwdriver, it's only stuck on with double sided tape.

I used the same tin's for my soaps, i sliced 2 Lea sticks into one and pressed them in to a puck.

The other five tins have VITOS, Proraso, MWF, DR Harris Almond & D R Harris Windsor in them.

Burgundy said:
IKEA Grundtal spice tins are ideal: wide-rimmed, metal, clear lid, although not particularly stackable. You'll easily fit in three 50g sticks

The best answer when it comes to grating soap.

And like gravy said they stack perfect once you take off the magnet

I grated an old soap puck with a cheese grater into a ramekin dish and just take a few gratings at a time and put in my new Suribachi bowl and that works fantastic for bowl lathering.

SmallBeard said:
Helveticum said:
Yeah, this.
Used to be 2.50 delivered, now it's a little more tricky.. Gotta love cost cutting.

I found a pack of 3 containers very similar to this in asda, and have used two for a LEA stick and a stick of Arko. £1.50 for 3.

Every time I do it I consider using 2/3 sticks, but by the time I've done one I figure that a stick lasts for such a long time as a stick, there's no need to do 2 at a time unless you can't be bothered to go through the whole grating again in the future.

Arko I just moulded in with my thumbs, it's nice and soft. Others have said to freeze sticks before grating to make it easier, something I've not bothered with before with Palmolive or Lea sticks.

SmallBeard said:
Helveticum said:
Yeah, this.

+ 1 on the Asda 3 for £1.50. Good size, clip shut, do the job... nothing more to be said

Jon

Back
Top Bottom