Grating soaps

When grating a soap whether puck or stick what size of grater is best to use, I have hand held plane graters in the sort of standard parmesan size and the usual larger size that pre-packed grated cheese comes in.

Thanks

Charlie

I use the small bit on the grater to grate my soap, use a chinese chop stick to dab it level in my twist up container looks like 1piece of soap in there cant tell it was grated. When i grate it in the large bit of the grater the soap dont sit flush when i dab it level with the stick. Looks like wiggly worms in the twist up container. Remember to freeze the soap before grating because it might melt/go soft from the friction of gratting and the heat

I use one of these small graters

500w

Why do you grate the soaps?

Is just to get them in another container or are they easier to lather after being grated?

MrK1 said:
Why do you grate the soaps?

Is just to get them in another container or are they easier to lather after being grated?

In most cases it's so you can lather a stick out of a container or tin, like you would a puck. You can also grate a puck that's too large, or too small, to fit any container you like. I don't know if it improves the latherability of the soap, but it certainly doesn't harm it.

Thanks.

I put a puck of MWF in a sandwich bag on top of a radiator for a while to soften it then I just molded it into a tub.

Did the same with a Palmolive stick and mixed it with the MWF to put it into an old Pritt Stick tube.

i have foundthat most soaps inc mwf have been quite soft to mould once grated.

in particular i found the mwf to lather better

Quick question, as it's too warm to stick the radiator on. What is the best way to soften the soap after grating to make it fit into a container?

Back to my original question which size grater do I use the smaller one or the larger? As in the size of the grated bits it produces.

Dave Q said:
Quick question, as it's too warm to stick the radiator on. What is the best way to soften the soap after grating to make it fit into a container?

There's no need to warm or soften the soap after it has been grated. Just press it down with your fingers or thumb into whatever container you want to put it in.

FrankieG said:
Dave Q said:

There's no need to warm or soften the soap after it has been grated. Just press it down with your fingers or thumb into whatever container you want to put it in.

Thank you. I'll go and grate my Speick stick now.

Back
Top Bottom