Gong in Ebony

A Gong that came my way via the 'bay' the blade was in very good shape to start with but the scales were manky to say the least, hence the new 'coffin lid' scales, done in Ebony, with an Ivory corian spacer, danish oil finish, the widening effect on the lower 'scallop' of the scales is a reflection!

gong6.jpg

Attachments

• gong6.jpg
    gong6.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 11
Having worked with ebony quite a lot lately I'm very, very impressed with the lines you've managed to maintain there. I would love to see some other photos from a different angle to see the width etc.

If it's not a secret, what width of blanks do you start with? For my part, I bought a chunk of ebony and had it rough cut to about 7mm - this means that I have to cut out a piece wide enough for both scales and then sand it to thickness on a belt sander at 80 grit - very messy and not particularly accurate. I know Jamie has the tools and, more importantly, the ability to plane his to the required thickness so I'm very interested in what you do.

Great job, Rob

GOLDCREST,
The danish oil finish has taken well, I applied a very thin coat using a cotton bud each day for a week or so, making sure that the oil was completely dry and not tacky between each coat, then buff out the finish by hand with a soft cloth. It's a technique used on gun stocks, the inside of the scales are finished in CA by the way.

UKROB
I'll try to take some better photos, my camera isn't exactly top of the range! In this case the blank started off at about 7mm, I profiled it to the shape of the scales, routed the scalloping to the edges on both sides on a table router with a tiny ball bearing guided rounding over bit, before splitting the blank on the bandsaw, then ran each side through my home brew version of this Luthiers friend
each side was fixed to a backing board with double sided tape while sanding, the board serves as a carriage to hold the blanks while I gradually sanded them down to the final thickness of 2.2mm (yes the jig will let you get this accurate!). The Luthiers friend is the most accurate method I have found to date for accurately thicknessing anything, it works equally well on bone, or corian, and really comes into it's own when using difficult timbers that would suffer from grain tear out while planing, the added bonus is that accuracy is guaranteed and repeatable.

The scalloping was fine sanded with all the grades of micromesh wrapped around a short piece of pencil (tedious!)

I make and repair guitars so I just adapted gear that I use daily anyway, the brass washers are guitar string ball ends split in half, they make nice rounded edge washers. the scale blanks are offcuts from guitar projects, I have boxes of exotic timber off cuts too small for anything else apart from pen blanks.

This is my first attempt at re-scaling, hopefully I have made all the mistakes on this one as I have another three to do! Rio Rosewood, Black American Walnut, and flamed Maple next.

Thanks for the detailed response - I wondered how you managed to keep the symetry of the bevels.

I would love to try something like the Luthiers friend - you mention that you made one yourself - would you mind sharing the details? Tell me to bugger off if you like but this seems such an improvement on what I do at the moment. Basically I tape rough sawn blanks to a piece of backing wood and sand down by eye on a bench sander - it's very dirty and time consuming and not too accurate, therefore a lot of hand sanding as well.

Back
Top Bottom